Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Does installing an M.2 drive on the back of the motherboard push it towards the side panel? (i.e: Is there space in the opening for it?)

It looks like it may hit the frame based on 11:10 in the Bitwit review of the case and I wanted to double check since I plan on using my Z63 and likely building in 4-Slot mode, leaving 1mm of space between the pump block and the side panel.

TL;DR: Is the cutout behind the motherboard big enough to accommodate rear-mounted M.2 drives without them pressing against the frame?

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Does installing an M.2 drive on the back of the motherboard push it towards the side panel? (i.e: Is there space in the opening for it?)

It looks like it may hit the frame based on 11:10 in the Bitwit review of the case and I wanted to double check since I plan on using my Z63 and likely building in 4-Slot mode, leaving 1mm of space between the pump block and the side panel.

TL;DR: Is the cutout behind the motherboard big enough to accommodate rear-mounted M.2 drives without pressing against the frame?
I get really annoyed at cases these days that don't specifically account for this. Just ensure the cutout goes all the way to the edge of the rear of the PCIe slot. Done. Shouldn't be hard.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
I get really annoyed at cases these days that don't specifically account for this. Just ensure the cutout goes all the way to the edge of the rear of the PCIe slot. Done. Shouldn't be hard.
Yeah, I have my eyes on an NVME I want to use for a data drive but if it ends up not fitting I'll probably have to go for a slower Sata SSD-behind the PSU...

@Wahaha360 Can we get confirmation on whether or not it will work on motherboards without backplates? Both videos I saw using them had backplates on the motherboard to give them the space.

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
Yeah, I have my eyes on an NVME I want to use for a data drive but if it ends up not fitting I'll probably have to go for a slower Sata SSD-behind the PSU...

@Wahaha360 Can we get confirmation on whether or not it will work on motherboards without backplates? Both videos I saw using them had backplates on the motherboard to give them the space.
The backplate doesn't increase the clearance between the mobo and the bracket. Any NVMe drive without a heatsink should fit fine, although you might have to install it before installing the motherboard.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

Oh, yeah, I think I misunderstood you. It will fit, that's not a problem - as long as the drive doesn't have a huge heatsink. Distance between the motherboard and motherboard tray is stipulated in the ATX standard - standoff lengths are always the same. My complaint is not being able to access the drives when the board is installed.

Reactions: BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
The backplate doesn't increase the clearance between the mobo and the bracket. Any NVMe drive without a heatsink should fit fine, although you might have to install it before installing the motherboard.

Oh, yeah, I think I misunderstood you. It will fit, that's not a problem - as long as the drive doesn't have a huge heatsink. Distance between the motherboard and motherboard tray is stipulated in the ATX standard - standoff lengths are always the same. My complaint is not being able to access the drives when the board is installed.

Much appreciated for the clarifications - I thought that for some reason the Motherboard's backplate extended to the corners, including where the standoffs are, which was why they could fit it in the videos but it looked like it was under the lip of the frame.

I agree that it sucks that the MB would need to be removed to install/remove it, but at least it's not blocked entirely. 😅

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
I have a general question for anyone that might be able to answer it:

If having an 280 AIO, such as the NZXT Kraken Z53 and wanting to use the tempered glass side panel on the motherboard side, would the SFX PSU suffer from very poor airflow at that point? I'm thinking if you have the motherboard in the position that you have 3 slot GPUs, that it will have some room to actually breathe, as well as the front AIO will be intake and hence will provide some airflow to it.

My thought was due to this video at specifically 1:55, she has it in the 4 slot position. So seeing as moving the motherboard tray to the 3 slot position, it would give more space for the PSU. Or does this only move the motherboard tray, but the SFX PSU has a fixed position in the case? If yes, will it work anyway?

Would this be doable or is it too much of a dreaming scenario so to speak?

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018

If having an 280 AIO, such as the NZXT Kraken Z53 and wanting to use the tempered glass side panel on the motherboard side, would the SFX PSU suffer from very poor airflow at that point? I'm thinking if you have the motherboard in the position that you have 3 slot GPUs, that it will have some room to actually breathe, as well as the front AIO will be intake and hence will provide some airflow to it.

My thought was due to this video at specifically 1:55, she has it in the 4 slot position. So seeing as moving the motherboard tray to the 3 slot position, it would give more space for the PSU. Or does this only move the motherboard tray, but the SFX PSU has a fixed position in the case? If yes, will it work anyway?

From what I have seen there are 2-3 mounting positions on SFX bracket so you should be able to mount it with an air gap, although it will likely still experience higher temps.

If your cables are long enough you can also reverse the PSU but then it will intake from the GPU side.

I think you'd be able to run it in 3 slot with a gap no problem, but for optimal cooling the mesh side would obviously be the best solution.

Reactions: Dawelio

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020

If you have the case in 3-Slot mode, you can have an SFX PSU in up to 4 configurations (Page 27), assuming your cables all reach:
  1. Position 1 - PSU Closer to Side, Fan Facing Side Panel
    • Not recommended with Glass.
  2. Position 1 Flipped - PSU Closer to Side, Fan Facing Inward
    • There's about a ~20mm gap between PSU fan and spine/GPU.
  3. Position 2 - Raised & Inwards, Fan Facing Side Panel
    • There's about a ~20mm gap between the PSU fan and side panel.
  4. Position 2 Flipped - Raised & Inwards, Fan Facing Inward
    • Not recommended.
Hope this helps - I find the diagrams in the linked guide to be really clear so I recommend referring to those if you're confused. I believe in 4-slot mode you're limited to mounting in Position 1.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
If you have the case in 3-Slot mode, you can have an SFX PSU in up to 4 configurations (Page 27), assuming your cables all reach:
  1. Position 1 - PSU Closer to Side, Fan Facing Side Panel
    • Not recommended with Glass.
  2. Position 1 Flipped - PSU Closer to Side, Fan Facing Inward
    • There's about a ~20mm gap between PSU fan and spine/GPU.
  3. Position 2 - Raised & Inwards, Fan Facing Side Panel
    • There's about a ~20mm gap between the PSU fan and side panel.
  4. Position 2 Flipped - Raised & Inwards, Fan Facing Inward
    • Not recommended.
Hope this helps - I find the diagrams in the linked guide to be really clear so I recommend referring to those if you're confused. I believe in 4-slot mode you're limited to mounting in Position 1.
Much thanks for your fast and informative reply! 😊

I had seen that page, but didn’t know about those 4 different configurations though. Interesting... And yes, I’ll be getting custom length cables, maybe from CableMod or similar 😊

Reactions: BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
This just came to mind...

Why is SSUPD selling whole cables and including a whole HDMI cable in the box when they could have just gone with two small adapters like these in the box?

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Is it just me that is a bit sceptical to no dust filters inside the case? I feel like many of the niche, enthusiast, cases don’t have any. Especially for their price, when they could have. Such as the Dan A4, NCASE M1, Loque (I think) etc.

Yet even Cooler Masters NR200 includes magnetic dust filters. In my opinion it’s such a small thing, but makes a huge difference in terms of overall cleaning etc.

Reactions: futurewau

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
Is it just me that is a bit sceptical to no dust filters inside the case? I feel like many of the niche, enthusiast, cases don’t have any. Especially for their price, when they could have. Such as the Dan A4, NCASE M1, Loque (I think) etc.

Yet even Cooler Masters NR200 includes magnetic dust filters. In my opinion it’s such a small thing, but makes a huge difference in terms of overall cleaning etc.
I think it's a matter of cost scaling and also dust filters reducing airflow. FWIW, I actually removed them from my ITX build and it didn't get much more dust either.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
I think it's a matter of cost scaling and also dust filters reducing airflow. FWIW, I actually removed them from my ITX build and it didn't get much more dust either.

Fair point, although I don't think that filters can be that expensive, although I could be wrong here. And I personally think that even though they may reduce airflow, giving the user/customer the option to choose wether they want to use the filters or not, is a nice feature.

Reactions: futurewau

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Fair point, although I don't think that filters can be that expensive, although I could be wrong here. And I personally think that even though they may reduce airflow, giving the user/customer the option to choose wether they want to use the filters or not, is a nice feature.

My understanding is that with cases like the T1 and Meshlicious, the mesh is the filter, rather than having a grid of hole punches and then an additional fine mesh filter.

The thinking is that it reduces cost, side panel thickness, and aids in creating a nice, simple, clean look that multiple layers wouldn't be able to replicate.