Production M2426 - Evolution in Cable Management

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Understood, I'll be patient! :) Also, a big thanks for how quickly you reply to everything, I'm finding you (and most others on this forum) extremely helpful and I'm grateful.

You're welcome :). I try my best. Sometimes I miss things so feel free to message me if I forget, no hard feelings.

Concerning the orders going out. Please share your experiences here, discord, reddit etc. It helps fund future products and it is important for others to get a feel of this product.

worldtour

Average Stuffer
Jul 24, 2019
Thank you @Thehack !

I was skeptical this was even gonna work until I plugged it in and powered on the PC. Incredible!
This is going to add a lot more versatility to my current and future builds.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I do need to be clearer about the function of 4 pin pass through CPU power. If you know an intuitive way to explain it, please share it. A lot of people are running Ryzen 3600 out there, at stock or UV clocks and can benefit from cleaner cable management.

See below for the preview of the modder's kit. Let me know if this is everything that's needed.

This kit allows you to build your own M2426 custom wiring. It includes the harder to find connector housings. Each kit includes ALL of the following:

• 2x 4 pin Mini Fit Jr Single Row
  • 1x JST XH 3P
  • 4x JST XH Terminals
Based on the kit, includes ONE of the following

• 1x 10 pin and 1x 18 pin Mini Fit Jr Housing
    • Fits Corsair SF Series, FSP Dagger
  • 1x 24 pin ATX
    • Fits Silverstone, HDPLEX 400 DC-ATX
  • 4X screw terminal, 4 pin Hirose
    • Fits Meanwell RPS-300-12, RPS-400-12

You will need to have the following tools/supplies:

• Mini Fit Jr Crimp Tool
  • JST Crimp Tool (recommend ENGINEER PA-09)
  • 16 or 18 AWG wiring
  • 16 or 18-24 AWG Mini Fit Jr terminals
  • 22 AWG wiring (recommend with UL1007 specs)
J-Hack is not responsible for providing pinout or instructions for the kit.

Last edited:

DwarfLord

Trash Compacter
Oct 13, 2018
Just to clarify if I understood this correctly.
I currently have : wall -> MeanWell RPS-200 -> MiniBox PicoPSU 160xt
Am I right to assume that I could replace the pico with your M2426 and go from 8A (96W) on the 160xt to 12.5A (150W) on the 12V line for the cpu ? (it's an APU only configuration)
Would that work ? There is no 5vON on the RPS-200, so the 12v would go through as soon as I plug the RPS on the wall, no ? And same when shutting down the pc, the 12v would not "stop" ? It's a problem, no ?
Or have I totally misunderstood its function ?

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Just to clarify if I understood this correctly.
I currently have : wall -> MeanWell RPS-200 -> MiniBox PicoPSU 160xt
Am I right to assume that I could replace the pico with your M2426 and go from 8A (96W) on the 160xt to 12.5A (150W) on the 12V line for the cpu ? (it's an APU only configuration)
Would that work ? There is no 5vON on the RPS-200, so the 12v would go through as soon as I plug the RPS on the wall, no ? And same when shutting down the pc, the 12v would not "stop" ? It's a problem, no ?
Or have I totally misunderstood its function ?

M2426 is for ATX psu only. For 12v single output psu, the one you need is Plugin 200X.

Reactions: DwarfLord

ellroy80

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2020
I do need to be clearer about the function of 4 pin pass through CPU power. If you know an intuitive way to explain it, please share it. A lot of people are running Ryzen 3600 out there, at stock or UV clocks and can benefit from cleaner cable management.

In my experience, the confusion comes from the GPU requirements, which I still don't understand (i.e. the different CPU power outputs +/- GPU). And when you state GPU, I assume you're referring to running a discrete GPU? Also, people may not understand that CPU power = 8-pin mobo header.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
GPU is always discrete GPU, this is an established norm, as built gpu with cpu is called iGPU.

So the 24 pin header also supplies power to your PCIe slot. Total M2426 power is 200W. If you install a GPU, now you have 125W because the slot takes up 75W. Subtract 50W for motherboard, fans, etc, you are left with 75W. This 75W can be connected to your cpu header so you can power it with even fewer wires. If you didn't have a GPU installed, this means it can power up to 150W.

This rule doesn't apply if you power the cpu header directly from the psu.

Last edited:

ellroy80

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2020
So the 24 pin header also supplies power to your PCIe slot. Total M2426 power is 200W. If you install a GPU, now you have 125W because the slot takes up 75W. Subtract 50W for motherboard, fans, etc, you are left with 75W. This 75W can be connected to your cpu header so you can power it with even fewer wires. If you didn't have a GPU installed, this means it can power up to 150W.

This explanation makes perfect sense. It's MUCH clearer to me now! :) I wasn't aware that the 24-pin header supplied power to the PCIe slot (though that also makes sense, once I think about it. It has to come from somewhere, after all.).

I think what you have written might be the intuitive explanation that you were looking for. IMO, anyway. Thanks for taking the time to explain it! :)

andornaut

Chassis Packer
Feb 24, 2017
@Thehack : Does the M2426 resolve the issue present on the M2427 (discussed in the other's thread) where when the BIOS is configured to "power on when power is restored after a power-loss", any shutdown would cause the computer to restart instead of power off?

You mentioned that you may address this in a new version of the M2427, and I wondered if maybe the M2426 was it.

I'm happy to report that I could not reproduce this issue on the M2426. Thanks for the fix!

Reactions: BaK and Thehack

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Hi @Thehack ! Always thanks for your amazing work!
I've just bought your M2426, but it's not clear to me what differs from the M2427, apart from the ability to connect only what needed.
I mean:
  • Can I use it with a power-hungry GPU and the SF750?
  • How does it work for the sense wire needed for the Platinum Corsair SF?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
@Thehack A question/suggestion: for those of us wanting to use this in more power hungry systems with an additional EPS cable, would you be willing/able to make reduced wire count EPS cables? I.e. ones that rely on a lower number of low gauge wire for most of their length, just branching off into the required amount of pins at each end? I guess the same would also apply/be of interest for PCIe power cables.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack A question/suggestion: for those of us wanting to use this in more power hungry systems with an additional EPS cable, would you be willing/able to make reduced wire count EPS cables? I.e. ones that rely on a lower number of low gauge wire for most of their length, just branching off into the required amount of pins at each end? I guess the same would also apply/be of interest for PCIe power cables.

Yeah, I can make a custom length 8 to 4 pin, which is plenty for most CPU. 4 pins can do about 200w. Sometimes offering too many options confuses people, as it is, but if you need a custom cable with a certain length, you can always PM or message me through the website.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hi @Thehack ! Always thanks for your amazing work!
I've just bought your M2426, but it's not clear to me what differs from the M2427, apart from the ability to connect only what needed.
I mean:
  • Can I use it with a power-hungry GPU and the SF750?
  • How does it work for the sense wire needed for the Platinum Corsair SF?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Yes. It is very similar to the M2427 with some quality of life improvement.

The sense wires are double crimped and are part of the SF adapter to M2426. It is connected to itself on the PSU side instead of the 24 pin side.

You can see it here:

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Is the 12VDC sense line also lopped straight back or did you actually send that all the way down?
Kinda hard to tell.

See below for the preview of the modder's kit. Let me know if this is everything that's needed.

This kit allows you to build your own M2426 custom wiring. It includes the harder to find connector housings. Each kit includes ALL of the following:

• 2x 4 pin Mini Fit Jr Single Row
  • 1x JST XH 3P
  • 4x JST XH Terminals
Based on the kit, includes ONE of the following

• 1x 10 pin and 1x 18 pin Mini Fit Jr Housing
    • Fits Corsair SF Series, FSP Dagger
  • 1x 24 pin ATX
    • Fits Silverstone, HDPLEX 400 DC-ATX
  • 4X screw terminal, 4 pin Hirose
    • Fits Meanwell RPS-300-12, RPS-400-12

You will need to have the following tools/supplies:

• Mini Fit Jr Crimp Tool
  • JST Crimp Tool (recommend ENGINEER PA-09)
  • 16 or 18 AWG wiring
  • 16 or 18-24 AWG Mini Fit Jr terminals
  • 22 AWG wiring (recommend with UL1007 specs)
J-Hack is not responsible for providing pinout or instructions for the kit.
Looks about right to me.
Not sure how the pass-through can be better explained. Seems clear to me.

tobe

Case Bender
New User
Sep 21, 2020
While searching for a non-SFX PSU that could match a M2426 and has more power than a Meanwell RPS-500, I found this 650W AC-DC:

Murata PQU650 Series

Murata PQU650 Datasheet

4.0" x 6.0" x 1.69" (101.6mm x 152.4mm x 42.8mm)

650W active cooling (12V fan header available), 450W convection
active PFC, OCP, OTP

There is a 12V model (PQU650-12, PQU650-12P) that has similar specs to a Meanwell RPS/EPP-300/400/500.
12 V (± 5%)
5 Vsb (0.5 A)
PS_ON
Output Ripple 1% mVPP
<0.5 W standby power consumption

There is however one annotation regarding the Output Ripple I don't know how big of a problem that would be:
Min 10% load current required, to maintain ripple within 1% for 12V output model.

What do you pros think about the specs? Match for M2426?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
While searching for a non-SFX PSU that could match a M2426 and has more power than a Meanwell RPS-500, I found this 650W AC-DC:

Murata PQU650 Series

Murata PQU650 Datasheet

4.0" x 6.0" x 1.69" (101.6mm x 152.4mm x 42.8mm)

650W active cooling (12V fan header available), 450W convection
active PFC, OCP, OTP

There is a 12V model (PQU650-12, PQU650-12P) that has similar specs to a Meanwell RPS/EPP-300/400/500.
12 V (± 5%)
5 Vsb (0.5 A)
PS_ON
Output Ripple 1% mVPP
<0.5 W standby power consumption

There is however one annotation regarding the Output Ripple I don't know how big of a problem that would be:

What do you pros think about the specs? Match for M2426?

Looks OK to me. It is a 6 x 4 size though, so quite a bit bigger than the RPS-400/500. The RPS series can fit in most situations where a FLEX ATX can fit, so it has that going for it.

Reactions: BaK