Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
As long as I'm mentioned by username, that's cool with me :)

Thanks!

Do you have an instagram account that I can follow?

Yeah, here it is:

https://www.instagram.com/lazer3d/

Just for curiosity, is it possible to cut out this case to allow the installation of 210mm video cards? In the part where you have the air vents of the video card?

Technically yes, if you cut away at enough of the case! The front corner column on the GPU side would possibly need some material taking off it as well. It would probably look a bit strange though!

@K888D - Has it been confirmed yet as to whether the MSI GTX 1070 Aero ITX GPU will fit properly in the LZ7, and have proper clearance for the power connector...?!?

I can't say for sure, it's so frustrating!

On paper the specs of the ITX Aero say it's smaller than the Gigabyte ITX version. The problem is that the Gigabyte card has the PCIe power connector recessed by 10mm and it only just fits in the case when using a standard power connector.

If the power connector is positioned even 1mm higher on the Aero compared to the Gigabyte then it won't fit. It looks like the Aero power connector is also recessed but I don't know by how much, I haven't seen anyone measure it anywhere.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@K888D

Okay, hear me out here...

If this chassis were increased by about 30mm in both width & depth, one could run a heck of a X299 / i9 / GTX 1080Ti rig...!

Extra depth for the Zotac GTX 1080Ti Mini GPU...

Extra width for the HDPlex (x2) / KMPKT Dynamo, Dynamo Mini & Merge PSU solution...

Chassis fan moved to the front of the chassis... Due to the increase in depth for the GPU, one could now use a 25mm thick fan (I would go for the Noctua NF-A15 140mm x 25mm fan, with 120mm mounting pattern)...

And since the AC/DC multi-unit PSU solution is mounted to the side panel (originally where the chassis intake fan was), one could use the Noctua NH-D9L tower cooler & have an increased rear venting area for exhaust, probably even mount a pair of Noctua NF-A8 (80mm x 25mm) chassis fans as exhaust above the rear MB I/O section...!

This would make a new model of chassis, the LZ9 (as in 9 liters of volume)...?!?

Even as a one-off or a limited run, I am sure these would sell...!

3D printed corner pieces should be the same, just the panels would be changed; deeper side, top, & bottom panels; & wider front, rear, top, & bottom panels... 140mm Radial vent pattern on front panel, dual 92mm Radial vent patterns on GPU-side panel (I would strip the shroud & fans from the 1080Ti Mini and adjust the width of the chassis panels to allow snugging in another pair of NF-A9s that are linked to the GPU fan headers)...? Delete on PSU venting on top panel, delete on chassis fan venting on side panel, add dual 92mm Radial vents to back panel to match dual 92mm exhaust fans that overlap past the MB I/O area to the PSU side of the chassis, extracting some air there as well)...

High-end high-power components with ample cooling & venting in a SFF-friendly chassis...!!!

Just some Random Thoughts arising from the announcement of the ASRock X299 ITX MB...

Man, my comment in the X299 MB thread would be true (HEDT = Highly Expensive Desktop), as a fully loaded X299 build like I outlined above would come to around US$4K...! But it sure would be a SWEET build, with some SERIOUS horsepower...!

Last edited:

Acalanata

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2017
I can't say for sure, it's so frustrating!

On paper the specs of the ITX Aero say it's smaller than the Gigabyte ITX version. The problem is that the Gigabyte card has the PCIe power connector recessed by 10mm and it only just fits in the case when using a standard power connector.

If the power connector is positioned even 1mm higher on the Aero compared to the Gigabyte then it won't fit. It looks like the Aero power connector is also recessed but I don't know by how much, I haven't seen anyone measure it anywhere.

About the vga power cable: @royalba94 Is it possible for you to make an 8-pin L-shaped power connector for video cards larger than 121mm fit in this case?

Reactions: Biowarejak

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
@K888D

Okay, hear me out here...

If this chassis were increased by about 30mm in both width & depth, one could run a heck of a X299 / i9 / GTX 1080Ti rig...!

Extra depth for the Zotac GTX 1080Ti Mini GPU...

Extra width for the HDPlex (x2) / KMPKT Dynamo, Dynamo Mini & Merge PSU solution...

Chassis fan moved to the front of the chassis... Due to the increase in depth for the GPU, one could now use a 25mm thick fan (I would go for the Noctua NF-A15 140mm x 25mm fan, with 120mm mounting pattern)...

And since the AC/DC multi-unit PSU solution is mounted to the side panel (originally where the chassis intake fan was), one could use the Noctua NH-D9L tower cooler & have an increased rear venting area for exhaust, probably even mount a pair of Noctua NF-A8 (80mm x 25mm) chassis fans as exhaust above the rear MB I/O section...!

This would make a new model of chassis, the LZ9 (as in 9 liters of volume)...?!?

Even as a one-off or a limited run, I am sure these would sell...!

3D printed corner pieces should be the same, just the panels would be changed; deeper side, top, & bottom panels; & wider front, rear, top, & bottom panels... 140mm Radial vent pattern on front panel, dual 92mm Radial vent patterns on GPU-side panel (I would strip the shroud & fans from the 1080Ti Mini and adjust the width of the chassis panels to allow snugging in another pair of NF-A9s that are linked to the GPU fan headers)...? Delete on PSU venting on top panel, delete on chassis fan venting on side panel, add dual 92mm Radial vents to back panel to match dual 92mm exhaust fans that overlap past the MB I/O area to the PSU side of the chassis, extracting some air there as well)...

High-end high-power components with ample cooling & venting in a SFF-friendly chassis...!!!

Just some Random Thoughts arising from the announcement of the ASRock X299 ITX MB...

Man, my comment in the X299 MB thread would be true (HEDT = Highly Expensive Desktop), as a fully loaded X299 build like I outlined above would come to around US$4K...! But it sure would be a SWEET build, with some SERIOUS horsepower...!

I'm pretty sure we'll see an LZ8 or LZ9 in the future, @K888D even has a thread somewhere to discuss alternative designs of his, not sure what it's called.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Whew...!

Okay, I think the weed is wearing off, I am back to the sanity that is a NON-modded LZ7 chassis & a Ryzen / RX Vega Nano build:

Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac MB
AMD Ryzen R5 1600 CPU
AMD Wraith Spire CPU cooler (non-LED version included with the R5 1600)
16GB G.Skill Flare X Series RAM (2 @ 8GB DIMMs / DDR4 / 3200 / CAS 14)
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD (1TB / 2280 / PCIe 3.0 x4 / NVMe)
RX Vega Nano (8GB HBM2) We can only hope & pray that someone actually comes out with an ITX-sized RX Vega GPU...!!!
Prolimatech USV140 Ultra Sleek Vortex chassis fan (140mm x 15mm with 120mm mounting pattern)
Three (3) custom cables (24-pin MB / 8-pin EPS / assuming 8-pin PCIe for the RX Vega Nano GPU)

I already have a Corsair SF600 SFX PSU...

I feel this will make a pretty decent little gaming & streaming workstation...!

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
And as I look over this list, I have the lust for 32GB of RAM (of which there is no safe path yet, at least at 3200MHz, there is G.Skill Flare X Series @ 2400MHz, but Ryzen is supposed to really perform better with the faster RAM)...

I went with the 1TB SSD over the 500GB because if you hook up a SATA drive to the MB, your M.2 slot drops from x4 to x2...?

The 2TB 960 Pro SSD is just TOO expensive (around US$1.4K) to contemplate, but drool-worthy...!

And if I bumped the RAM (assuming 16GB / 3200MHz DIMMs became available), I would want to bump the CPU to the R7 1700 (keeping that 65w TDP, but gaining 2 more cores / 4 more threads)...

'Bonus' would be the LED-enabled version of the Wraith Spire CPU cooler... ;^p

Now that would DEFINITELY make a sweet gaming & streaming workstation (not the LED CPU cooler, the R7 1700 & doubled RAM capacity)...!

Now, that is only about a US$300 bump in build cost, I think it would be well worth it...!

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Well, the AMD live stream was a HUGE disappointment...

At this point, I am torn between an all AMD build & an Intel / Nvidia build...

See sig below for more...

Reactions: Acalanata

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
You seem to have put a topic in your signature :p

LOL...! Yeah, I got a little crazy there...

I slimmed it down, keeping to a single build plan...

I just want more info on any remaining AM4 ITX MBs & on the real show stopper, the RX Vega Nano...!?!

Is it August yet...?!?

Damn you, delayed HBM2 production...!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I'm pretty sure we'll see an LZ8 or LZ9 in the future, @K888D even has a thread somewhere to discuss alternative designs of his, not sure what it's called.

HERE is the thread, although the next case I'm working on is a slightly different layout to the 3 designs shown there, but it should have similar compatibility to the first proposed design.

the RX Vega Nano...!?!

I read here AMD have said consumer cards will be launching at the SIGGRAPH event which is held end of July. We may see stuff before that date though as it seems almost every major launch recently has had leaked information and benchmarks released ahead of the announcements.

Fingers crossed for some ITX length cards, I am also hoping that Vega will bring AMD closer to NVidia in terms of power efficiency.

What makes you think they will release an updated version of the Nano rather than something like a short RX690? Have AMD referred to this somewhere?

I just signed in to say this is by far my favourite sff case, and I really love your approach.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the support!

Reactions: Biowarejak

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
What makes you think they will release an updated version of the Nano rather than something like a short RX690? Have AMD referred to this somewhere?

From the recent Reddit AMD AMA (Ask Me Anything)

TitanicFreakR7-1800X @ 4.0ghz | GTX 1060 FE @ 2.1ghz 27 points 13 days ago

Good afternoon Raja!

My first question for you is what is your vision with Vega? What do you see Vega excelling in? Specifically in the consumer market. Do you see people using Vega similar to how its predecessor (Fiji) was used? Where both the Fury X and Nano excelled in m-ITX builds. Do you see Vega continuing that?

gfxchiptweeterIn Raja We Trust 70 points 13 days ago

Like Fiji Vega will excel in small form factors etc due to HBM2 advantages

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
From the recent Reddit AMD AMA (Ask Me Anything)

TitanicFreakR7-1800X @ 4.0ghz | GTX 1060 FE @ 2.1ghz 27 points 13 days ago

Good afternoon Raja!

My first question for you is what is your vision with Vega? What do you see Vega excelling in? Specifically in the consumer market. Do you see people using Vega similar to how its predecessor (Fiji) was used? Where both the Fury X and Nano excelled in m-ITX builds. Do you see Vega continuing that?

gfxchiptweeterIn Raja We Trust 70 points 13 days ago

Like Fiji Vega will excel in small form factors etc due to HBM2 advantages

I've seen that conversation before, but the words "excel in small form factors" were put into his mouth by the question. He does not mention specifically a 'Nano' GPU is currently in development.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I've seen that conversation before, but the words "excel in small form factors" were put into his mouth by the question. He does not mention specifically a 'Nano' GPU is currently in development.

I just feel it is a given that there will be a SFF / ITX-friendly version of Vega...?

And I use the tag on of "Nano" because pretty much everyone (at least in these SFF forums) knows exactly what is implied' an ITX (or smaller!) sized GPU suitable for these boutique ITX chassis...

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Transparent would be pretty cool.

Indeed...!

I say Group Buy for NF-A12x15 & NF-A14x15 models, but in Black...?!?

What would you think a MOQ would be (what MOQ do you think was needed for the LTT model)...?!?

I REALLY would not want to place a two-tone turd colored fan behind a sexy matte black LZ7 Radial vent panel...

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Just a thought...!

With the new partnership with a distributor, might we see review units sent out & about to the usual suspects (Linus & Hardware Canucks)...?

Review videos & build videos would be awesome to see...!

Reactions: cmyk78

Acalanata

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2017
I cannot wait until August! Haha XD

I have another question: @K888D, when applications to buy the case are available, will it be possible to place an order requesting that 2 front sides of case be sent? I intend to acquire 2 another front cases with 2 different materials, because I want to do a test by cutting one of them to mount a bigger video card...