Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
With the new partnership with a distributor, might we see review units sent out & about to the usual suspects (Linus & Hardware Canucks)...?

Overclockers UK want to do a proper launch which may include a video by them, at this stage I don't think there is any plan for it to be sent out to reviewers, perhaps post launch.

will it be possible to place an order requesting that 2 front sides of case be sent?

Hopefully yes, the individual components of the case should be available separately as well part of the whole case.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I put a 250GB SSD into my LZ7. Using an ST30SF, I had to deal with the missing power cable cutout. I could've gotten longer screws and put something in between, and I will still do that, but now this solution works well enough:

Reactions: Acalanata

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I put a 250GB SSD into my LZ7. Using an ST30SF, I had to deal with the missing power cable cutout. I could've gotten longer screws and put something in between, and I will still do that, but now this solution works well enough:

Just curious, are those cracks in the 3mm or 5mm thick panel?

Blamo

What's an ITX?
Jun 2, 2017
Ah yea I have a similar crack in my rear panel. It was mostly stupidity induced on my end, trying to figure out a lazy way to deal with the PSU sag.

Reactions: Biowarejak

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The bottom one might be, but I think the first one was actually caused by me not installing a PSU for a while, I think it was actually cracked before I installed the SFX PSU. I'd expect the PSU to reinforce the part that broke right next to it, especially when it bows inwards.

But both should be solvable with a thicker piece of acrylic. Using the anti-sag brackets might also help, because the PSU is quite a heavy piece of hardware that the back panel has to carry all on its own.

Reactions: Biowarejak

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
This is the first time I've seen these cracks on the rear panel, but if 2 seperate people are reporting the same thing then I need to address it.

I think the best way to do this would be to increase the rear panel thickness from 3mm to 5mm, this will increase the panel strength and eliminate PSU sag.

The downside to this change is it takes away compatibility with the First Edition without also upgrading the 2x rear corner columns so the panel will sit flush. The extra 2mm also pushes the case size from 7.0 litres up to 7.1 litres which stings a little!

Luckily I haven't started production yet as I'm waiting on delivery of a laser cutter due to arrive in around 3 weeks. This should give me time to get some 5mm rear panels and modified rear corner columns made and tested.

In the meantime if you guys would like some replacement panels please PM me.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yes, I think 5mm panels would definitely help. Didn't you post a 3D model for a PSU bracket in this thread somewhere? I'd love to print it and see whether that closes the cracks (which would indicate it being a good counter-measure) once I receive my printer.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Here is a slightly modified (still in development) version of the LZ7 which Overclockers UK will be using for pre-built systems, it has a 5mm rear panel, the panel feels more robust and PSU sag is much improved:

I will implement this change into the LZ7 design going forward. The panel should still be backward compatible with First Edition cases, it just wont sit flush with a 2mm overhang around the rear which shouldn't be visible from the front.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Case looks great!

The panel should still be backward compatible with First Edition cases, it just wont sit flush with a 2mm overhang around the rear which shouldn't be visible from the front.

Are you sure? There's a small lip on the LZ7s corner piece. Admittedly easy to cut or file off, but I wouldn't advertise it as 100% compatible.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Here is a slightly modified (still in development) version of the LZ7 which Overclockers UK will be using for pre-built systems, it has a 5mm rear panel, the panel feels more robust and PSU sag is much improved:

I will implement this change into the LZ7 design going forward. The panel should still be backward compatible with First Edition cases, it just wont sit flush with a 2mm overhang around the rear which shouldn't be visible from the front.

That looks like a wider (taller, with the given orientation) unit than the standard LZ7...

Also, I note the venting on the GPU-side corner piece, and the lack of corner piece on the CPU-side...!?!

What is up...?!?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
That looks like a wider (taller, with the given orientation) unit than the standard LZ7...

Also, I note the venting on the GPU-side corner piece, and the lack of corner piece on the CPU-side...!?!

What is up...?!?

That is right, but as I mentioned this particular variant is intended purely for pre-built systems available through Overclockers UK and won't be available for sale as a case on its own. It is around 22mm wider, its also 2mm taller and 4mm longer, which results in a volume of around 8 litres, quite a bit bigger than the LZ7.

The reason was to give Overclockers a bit more room to make building in the case easier, routing cables, maneuvering components etc, but hardware compatibility is not really affected other than it can fit 25mm thick fans rather than 15mm fans like in the LZ7. 5mm panels are used throughout the outer case panels for strength as the case will be shipped pre-built. There is also less 3D printed material to reduce the cost slightly, hence why as you can see the rear edge does not have a 3D printed corner.

Even though the volume is increasing from 7 to 8 litres for this particular case variant, it will still be (I think) the smallest fully capable customisable pre-built gaming system on their website. From what I can see the current smallest system they do is the Titan Khukuri which uses the Raijintek Metis at 13.4 liters, or it can be configured with the Silverstone SG13B at 11.4 Liters.