Concept LUX - 11.3L Focus on premium design and liquid cooling - Slim Console Style

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
Hi, I quite like the case but I am worried 39mm of cpu cooler clearance won't fit most 90 degree rotaries. I currently have an sv590, which has 55mm of cpu clearance, and my bitspower fittings+16mm ekstc just fit with the side panel on. Is it possible to move the ssd brackets in front or behind the gpu and recess the motherboard for more clearance? Thanks!

Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Hi, I quite like the case but I am worried 39mm of cpu cooler clearance won't fit most 90 degree rotaries. I currently have an sv590, which has 55mm of cpu clearance, and my bitspower fittings+16mm ekstc just fit with the side panel on. Is it possible to move the ssd brackets in front or behind the gpu and recess the motherboard for more clearance? Thanks!
Agree. giving up clearance on the CPU-side to accommodate SSD in the back is such a waste in terms of space optimisation. And with just 39mm of CPU clearance the case is basically limited to just the Eisbaer Solo LT pump block

Reactions: riba2233

cennis

Average Stuffer
Jan 13, 2020
Koolance low profile 90, barrow/bykski non rotary 90, alphacool TPV 90 rotary. All are around 20mm high. Most CPU blocks are about 20mm as well. So the bare minimum is 40mm-45mm. To fit a ddc pump block combo you need 45mm-50mm depending in which block model/heatsink. T1 has 50mm in 3-slot mode it is sufficient for all of the above options.

Reactions: SirJack

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
Koolance low profile 90, barrow/bykski non rotary 90, alphacool TPV 90 rotary. All are around 20mm high. Most CPU blocks are about 20mm as well. So the bare minimum is 40mm-45mm. To fit a ddc pump block combo you need 45mm-50mm depending in which block model/heatsink. T1 has 50mm in 3-slot mode it is sufficient for all of the above options.
In that case, I'd at least like to see 45mm or preferably 50. Otherwise, I really like the industrial design here.

erikvalen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 30, 2020
Hey everyone, sorry for not responding quickly! Don't know how I missed all these replies!

Interesting layout and great design.

140mm max GPU height might not be sufficient for most water blocks due to the top-mounted terminal

Hey Cennis, thanks for the comment and concern. You are definitely right! There are a few waterblocks that won't fit. Although I have checked multiple spec sheets and have confirmed that a few various blocks will fit. Especially given the small constraint in length with the 280mm rad (Which would really be the only way to run a full loop imo,) a good portion of the cards that fit lengthwise will also fit width wise with waterblocks and fittings.

Hey SirJack (And others), thanks for the comments. This is something I have been back and forth on. I don't really have a viable other space in the case for the SSD's unless you were using a full custom loop then there could be space behind/in-front of the GPU. So yes technically possible, I just like having the always there compatibility of behind the motherboard. I have found a few CPU blocks and a decent amount of AIO blocks that do fit this dimension but I agree it is fairly restrictive.

Alphacool Eisblock XPX 1U
Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ Light

I would like to hear everyone's input though on how much you value the SSD compatibility. If I move it to near the GPU they will only be supported when in a full custom loop and not an AIO CPU and air cooled GPU.

On a side note, I think you guys are going to love the redesigned stand! More support and I think it actually looks way better.

erikvalen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 30, 2020
Great, when we can expect to see some real pictures or news about designed you made.....cant wait.....
Hey Barracuda, real pictures sadly won't be for a while yet. I plan to have the first prototype done in Q1 2022. So I will have it photographed then. As far as new renders with the current design I plan to make an update post in the next few days.

Thank you for the excitement.

Reactions: Barracuda727

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
Hey SirJack (And others), thanks for the comments. This is something I have been back and forth on. I don't really have a viable other space in the case for the SSD's unless you were using a full custom loop then there could be space behind/in-front of the GPU. So yes technically possible, I just like having the always there compatibility of behind the motherboard. I have found a few CPU blocks and a decent amount of AIO blocks that do fit this dimension but I agree it is fairly restrictive.

Alphacool Eisblock XPX 1U
Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ Light

I would like to hear everyone's input though on how much you value the SSD compatibility. If I move it to near the GPU they will only be supported when in a full custom loop and not an AIO CPU and air cooled GPU.
I see, I guess you can try having the motherboard on standoffs paired with a hollowed-out motherboard tray. By using longer standoffs you get more space behind the board; shorter standoffs give you more cpu clearance :)

erikvalen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 30, 2020
I see, I guess you can try having the motherboard on standoffs paired with a hollowed-out motherboard tray. By using longer standoffs you get more space behind the board; shorter standoffs give you more cpu clearance :)
I've already got something designed very similar to this (Hollowed out motherboard tray,) but I never thought about offering different standoffs! That would definitely work! Thank you very much for the suggestion, I'll work it into the design right away! I should be able to squeeze 3-4 more mm out of this approach.

As far as the update post goes I'm working on trying to get fusion 360 to correctly render the mesh texture right now. I think I've almost got it, I'm hoping come tomorrow evening I'll be able to post the update. (Of course with this new motherboard revision!

Last edited:

erikvalen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 30, 2020
Hello world,

It's been days of finicky renders and tweaks but I finally have most of the pictures I wanted rendered.

First of thank you everyone for your input it's greatly appreciated. It's last minute with the modifications to the motherboard and SSD placement but it's a wonderful idea. Thank you SirJack for the inspiration! I have to remodel a new SSD bracket but that shouldn't be too difficult.

In other news this latest version finally has areas to mount the radiators to! Although I have yet to place the actual holes yet, anywhere you see a bump on the bracing arms is where a hole will be made. These should support all 280mm and 240mm radiators with ease.

The PSU mounting mechanism has been simplified from two parts down to just one as well.

And last but definitely not least, I have finally designed a new stand! It should offer a substantial amount of support compared to the previous design. Another bonus is that from a lot of angles it almost appears to be floating, which I really love.

With many adjustments I also have different clearance values for both the CPU and the GPU, so here is the updated total specs:

-Exterior dimensions are 466.446mm Long * 356.95 mm Tall (369.95 with stand) * 67.65mm Thick = 11.26 L total Volume
-CPU clearance is 44.5mm or 46.5mm with mesh front panel
-Radiator+Fan clearance is 61mm
-Supports both horizontal or vertical DDC pump mounting
-Supports SFX PSUs
-Capacity for up to two 2.5" Drives
-GPU Support:
With 280mm Radiator and Glass Side Panel - 300mm Length x 56.8 mm Thickness x 148.5mm Height (With Power Connector)
With 240mm Radiator and Mesh Side Panel - 330mm Length x 58.8 mm Thickness x 148.5mm Height (With Power Connector)
-DDC or DC-LT pump support
-Magnetic side panels

Future plans as of right now:
-I will be increasing the overall height so I can get the GPU height clearance to be a bit more
-I would like to be able to mount the stand on the top or bottom of the case so the window could be flipped right or left
-Radiator and motherboard holes need to be placed
-SSD brackets finished
-Watercooling hardware modeled and rendered

TL:DR lots of stuff happened but here's some pretty pictures

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed the update and look forward to your feedback!

P.S. if some of the components look a little weird alignment wise, sorry in advance. For some reason fusion 360 decided to shuffle around every component right before I went to render.

coby

Chassis Packer
Aug 16, 2021
I'm loving it, been thinking on doing a build to go underneath my desk and this case checkouts all my boxes 🤩 looking forward to the release. 💯

erikvalen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 30, 2020
Hey everyone sorry for the lack of updates, the project is not dead!

I'm still planning on a Q1 prototype. I haven't had a large change made in a while so I didn't feel the need to post an update.

I'm loving it, been thinking on doing a build to go underneath my desk and this case checkouts all my boxes 🤩 looking forward to the release. 💯
Thanks for the kind words! Hoping you're still interested when I'm able to launch for pre-orders! (Although it would be a shame to hide such beauty under a desk 😉)