lulzbot 500w psu help?

w5endless

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
Hi guys so I talked to the guy who made the dynamo combo or whatever that is going to power my 8700k and 1080 ti and he recommended either the eurocom 780w power brick or the lulzbot 500w power brick. And after seeing that the 8700k overclocked to 5.0 ghz combod with the (not ti) gtx 1080 only pulled about 350 watts, I think going with a 1080 ti shouldn't put me past 400w of power draw so I'm going with the lulzbot 500w power brick thats manufactured for 3d printers. However I want to make sure im not messing with technology I dont understand. How do I possibly mod this power supply to fit the dynamo mini combo? Is there any tutorials anywhere (i couldn't find any). I have access to a wire stripper and solder but not sure how to do this. Please help. I have all the parts on their way currently being shipped and wanna make sure I can do this before they arrive. Thank you

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You'll need a Weipu to 6 pin adapter cable. Josh @ NFC systems should be able to do this for you if you're not confident to do it yourself.

w5endless

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
You'll need a Weipu to 6 pin adapter cable. Josh @ NFC systems should be able to do this for you if you're not confident to do it yourself.
okay great, hopefully he can help me with this. @Josh | NFC .....Also are you sure this 3d printer brick works well with other types of technology? I guess what i'm asking is flexibility/compatibility. You have one and powered a computer for extended periods of time correct? Hello josh, hopefully you can read this and maybe help me and I can send money via paypal if you're willing to help me with the weipu 6 pin adapter. Would be much appreciated I will be creating a double skyreach 4 mini setup and only one of my s4ms require this connection (the other will be using dell 330w brick due to not having a gpu (pci-e legato instead)).

Thank you kmpkt and Josh. Please keep me updated with any new information

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
okay great, hopefully he can help me with this. @Josh | NFC .....Also are you sure this 3d printer brick works well with other types of technology? I guess what i'm asking is flexibility/compatibility. You have one and powered a computer for extended periods of time correct? Hello josh, hopefully you can read this and maybe help me and I can send money via paypal if you're willing to help me with the weipu 6 pin adapter. Would be much appreciated I will be creating a double skyreach 4 mini setup and only one of my s4ms require this connection (the other will be using dell 330w brick due to not having a gpu (pci-e legato instead)).

Thank you kmpkt and Josh. Please keep me updated with any new information

Hello! Please send me an email and we will get it worked out.

http://nfc-systems.com/about-ba/

Peace :)

Max78

Chassis Packer
Jan 12, 2018
Using a computer PSU to power a 3D printer, if you are careful about the 12v rails you can do it.

A 3D printer PSU powering a computer imo is probably not a really good idea.

I have no idea about the lulzbot psu, even though we have 3 of their printers. I'm not sure i would trust the voltage control or ripple suppression on that psu. 3D printers have very different needs than computers.

It might work and people might have done it but I would just be careful and if i couldnt find a some info on ripple superssion then i would not do it.

chingi5

Caliper Novice
Feb 15, 2017
Using a computer PSU to power a 3D printer, if you are careful about the 12v rails you can do it.

A 3D printer PSU powering a computer imo is probably not a really good idea.

I have no idea about the lulzbot psu, even though we have 3 of their printers. I'm not sure i would trust the voltage control or ripple suppression on that psu. 3D printers have very different needs than computers.

It might work and people might have done it but I would just be careful and if i couldnt find a some info on ripple superssion then i would not do it.
I'm no electrical engineer and have a bit less than ZERO knowledge about this but isn't the DC-DC adapter that controls voltage which goes to power the components? In that case does the AC-DC adapter's voltage control and ripple suppression really matter?
Not to be arguing just genuinely interested.

Reactions: InfernoZeus

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The Dynamo Combo is a custom HDPlex manufactured DC-DC solution I offer over on SFFLab.com

https://www.sfflab.com/collections/power-supplies/KMPKT

Input is 16-24V much like the HDPlex system, but it will handle a higher overall wattage and also allows you to eliminate the 24 pin cable which can be helpful with some builds. Also to answer your question, the caps on the DC-DC supplies should act to smooth ripple at these levels.