need help with skyreach mini build for streaming PC

w5endless

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
here are the parts I ordered and where i'm stuck. currently waiting for the case and power supply to get here

*** skyreach 4 mini
*** i7 8700k (dont ask why im getting this for a streaming PC, I want the highest preset possible on OBS, an expensive and hot experiment and future proof just in case 4k gaming/streaming comes out of nowhere)
*** any z370 itx motherboard
*** 2x8gb ddr4 (doesnt matter what kind)
*** I ordered the combo dynamo 330w and +160w mini thingy. on sfflabs website
*** A power button from amazon.
*** skyreach bracket (for 2 fans or 2 ssds)
*** Noctua NH-l9i cpu fan 92mm
*** El Gato HD60 PRO pci-express version

HOWEVER.... I do not know how to assemble or use this power supply. (i ordered the PSU combo so I can possibly add a graphics card in the future if I decide to game with this PC)

^^^^^^^This is where my problem lies. I feel like ive been researching stuff and doing circles over and over.

1) MY NOOB FIRST QUESTION: HOW THE HELL DO I INSTALL THIS POWER SUPPLY, DO I NEED MORE CABLES? DO I STILL NEED A BRICK? IF SO WHAT BRICK SHOULD I GET? DO I NEED TO SAUDER STUFF?

2) MY SECOND NOOB QUESTION: is this combo enough power to possibly install a 1080 ti mini in the future? The power draw on pc part picker said 460w without the el gato hd60, however I believe however I'm not sure and I want anecdotal evidence or someone to help clear things up.

Last edited by a moderator:

w5endless

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
Also before anyone asks, I have a micro-atx build already that is the dedicated gaming pc, this thread is for help building a dedicated stream pc. my gaming pc is i7 8700k, with 32 gigs of ram, and 1080 ti. but I want a dedicated stream PC now

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
To answer the second question, the Skyreach mini has 2 expansion slots. The capture card takes up 1 slot already, so you won't be able to fit a double slot card in there. That's also ignoring the fact that you're using a M-ITX motherboard that only has 1 PCIe slot, so you'd need to find a motherboard that supports pcie bifurcation, as well as a riser that would allow for it as well.

Honestly, do you really need a 2 pc streaming setup? You're gaming pc is very strong already.

w5endless

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
The gaming pc is inside a micro atx build. If I can power an 8700k and a 1080 ti mini then I will buy a second skyreach mini and have them both inside these cases. What I’m saying is I’m going to put together the streaming pc first and asking how to do that. In the future I’ll be switching my gaming pc to the sky reach as well if it allows a 1080ti and 8700k to be powered. And to answer your question yes I need a dedicated streaming pc because with games like pubg and battlefield 1 and escape from Tarkov, even my system suffers from frame drop and streaming adds input lag somehow. So I will not be putting an el gato hd60 and a graphics card in one sky reach at the same time. I realize that.

w5endless

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
To answer the second question, the Skyreach mini has 2 expansion slots. The capture card takes up 1 slot already, so you won't be able to fit a double slot card in there. That's also ignoring the fact that you're using a M-ITX motherboard that only has 1 PCIe slot, so you'd need to find a motherboard that supports pcie bifurcation, as well as a riser that would allow for it as well.

Honestly, do you really need a 2 pc streaming setup? You're gaming pc is very strong already.
There are also videos on nfc’s YouTube of him using the 1080ti on his skyreach and s4 mini however he’s using custom power supplies and/or power supplies that are $500 usd +... he mentioned something in his 22 minute video of the sky reach release intro video about people possibly doing dynamo combos to power hot and high power cpus and gpus like the 8700k and 1080 ti’s but that was back in mid-late 2017 so I’m also wondering if anything has changed since then and if it’s possible

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Use the search, Luke...

Searching dynamo on this forum gives me these two:

Dynamo Combo Setup

Dynamo troubleshooting thread

And if you'd like to read up on AC/DC brick and all that stuff,
1st grade level TL;DR:

The key is to look and see if the power supply is labeled DC-DC or AC-DC. You need both.

------------Step 1: AC-DC----------------

AC power is what comes out of your wall. DC power is what computer electronics run off of (and batteries).

You need to convert the AC that comes out of your wall to DC before your computer can use it.

This is accomplished with a AC-DC power supply.

------------Step 2: DC-DC------------------

Once you have DC power you need to get it to your PC components. Computers have lots of different plugs and voltages. You need a DC-DC power supply to handle the task of getting every part their correct voltage and power.

-----------Step 3: Why you are confused--------------

Think of a standard ATX power supply that you are used to as two power supplies in one. It is a AC-DC converter, and a DC-DC distributor. You plug in your giant ATX power supply into the wall, it converts the voltage to DC, and then it separates the the DC voltages into 12v, -12v, 3.3, and 5v and distributes it to each part in your PC.

-----------Step 4: Divide and Conquer-------------------

The MINI seeks to save space by chopping an ATX power supply in half. Outside of the case you have your AC-DC power supply or "power brick" and inside the case you have your DC-DC power supply (Dynamo Mini 200 DC-DC, HDPLEX 400 DC-DC, Pico 160 XT DC-DC, G-Unique DC-DC).

The theory here is that this saves space with the current PSU technology we have.

-----------Step 5: The exception to the rule--------------

The S4 MINI phenomenon has spurred progression in the development of compact AC-DC power supplies. Think of these as small power bricks that you can fit inside the case. Examples are the HDPLEX 160 AC-DC, and HDPLEX 300 AC-DC. You still need a DC-DC power supply so you can power your individual parts.

-------------Step 6: These aren't really steps anymore are they?--------------

You can post in @Kmpkt subforum as he makes power supplies for the MINI. I'll let him explain them.