News Low profile MSI GTX 1050 ti

I apologize if this isn't news worthy. There looked to be a lot of interest in a card like this so it seemed relevant.

A low profile GTX 1050 ti has shown up on MSI's website. It's a dual fan cooler that occupies two slots, slot powered, and has dvi/HDMI/DP outputs. I've not seen any announcements about it and couldn't find it for sale anywhere yet.

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-4GT-LP.html#hero-overview

Reactions: aquelito and EdZ

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The gigabyte lp cards only have the single fan but I did try frankstein'd fans. In my case (L2) there's not a lot of space between the chassis and the card so all I could fit where some 80x80x5mm fans (cheap from China).

Wut? In the L2 you have space for a dual-slot card and the fan on the GPU is about 10-15mm thick, IIRC. So if you remove the original fan you easily have space for two 80x80x15mm fans, which should be plenty.

EDIT3: Whenever I contact a company through their official support/contact channels I find myself wishing that this were true.

:D

ImperialAlex

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2016
Wut? In the L2 you have space for a dual-slot card and the fan on the GPU is about 10-15mm thick, IIRC. So if you remove the original fan you easily have space for two 80x80x15mm fans, which should be plenty.
Yep, there's space for a dual slot card, but the fan on the 750Ti from Gigabyte is actually recessed *into* the heatsink. Let me quickly pop open the system and take a few pictures

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I've contacted GALAX to ask whether their 1050 Ti has a lower limit on the fan rpm/percentage and I'll probably do the same for MSI. If anybody here has contacts with either of the companies that could inquire about this and if it'd be possible to BIOS-mod the fan limit if it exists that'd be much appreciated.

As for MSI, the minimum is set to 40%. Not sure about BIOS mods though. The fans aren't recessed into the heatsink so you can remove the shroud and add custom 15mm thick fans without the card become wider than 2 slots.

ImperialAlex

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2016
Ooooh I didn't know that. I thought I've seen pictures of a flat heatsink.
Yep, here's a picture of the GPU with and without the shroud: The fan is semi-recessed so you're not really gaining that much from taking it off. Nevertheless you were right to suspect something!
The fans I used are actually a much more sensible 10mm in thickness (not sure if 5mm thick fans are even a thing).

Looking at it again, I think 15mm fans might just barely fit because the fan dose protrude a tiny bit and it might be enough. I don't have 15mm fan at hand but I'll order some and post an update.

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
Checking this video out might be a good start for setting up a semi passive and custom fan speed limit, used it to bios tweak my blower style 970, you might possibly have to get a custom version of the tweaker though, I had to. @ImperialAlex

ImperialAlex

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2016
As for MSI, the minimum is set to 40%. Not sure about BIOS mods though. The fans aren't recessed into the heatsink so you can remove the shroud and add custom 15mm thick fans without the card become wider than 2 slots.
Thanks for the info! Shame to hear about the 40% minimum, especially as it seems like BIOS modding isn't a thing (yet?) on Pascal GPUS?

@LocoMoto Thanks, just stumbled across that as well, I'll see if I can't get the 750Ti to shut the f*** up after all ;)

EDIT: It has been shut up! But now I can hear both my 80x80x25mm fans at the top so I've just ordered some noctuas (which, afaik, go to 0rpm on 0% pwm duty cycle while my 'whatever the store had' fans only go down to a couple hundred rpm)

Last edited:
Reactions: LocoMoto

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
When I was using the Galax LP 750TI in my L2, I searched on Ebay for GPU fans and found a few for cheap with different power and blade profiles. Had to change the connector but I put one in the was off at 40% though could get spinning with a push of my finger, it came on at about 50% and was silent in comparison. Looked very similar to Gbyte fan blade-wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImperialAlex

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I don't think I've seen an example (yet) where removing a GPU's shroud and replacing with an external fan has resulted in better thermal performance.

A GPU shroud is vital to its performance for a number of reasons. Firstly it forces air to travel along the entire length of the heatsink fins, without the shroud air escapes before it reaches the extreme edges of the heatsink therefore reducing its effectiveness for transferring heat. Secondly the shroud helps direct and exhaust warm air out the chassis reducing case temps and heat recirculating back into the GPU.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
In the case of that kind of low power GPUs, I'm not sure we are looking at better thermal performance, but better noise profile !

Dual 50mm MSI fans on my LP 750 Ti are just awfull... Clicking as hell at any possible rate...

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
In the case of that kind of low power GPUs, I'm not sure we are looking at better thermal performance, but better noise profile !

Dual 50mm MSI fans on my LP 750 Ti are just awfull... Clicking as hell at any possible rate...

Yeah, I agree. When i took out those fans and had a closer look at them, I noticed '5000 RPM' on the back. Gulp.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com

It depends, because sometimes a higher temperature GPU means the non-standard fan has to work harder and ends up spinning fast to cope, so the end result is an even noisier system!

It seems like there could be a thriving business opportunity for 3D printed shrouds i.e, 92mm replacement direct mount or whatever.

I'd be interested in trying this! Although a 3D printed piece that measures 170 x 90 x 30mm will probably cost in the region of about $40 - $50. So it depends I guess on how much value you place on your 1050Ti being quieter?

rupy

Cable Smoosher
Mar 7, 2017
The cooling of the MSI was a bit too noisy to my liking after all. With a couple of milimeters to spare, I could just mount two 80mm fans to the radiator. 5 degrees cooler and inaudible :)

Hey, this is my plan too but in a FC9 case and with one 80mm Nuctua fan.

Which streacom case is that?

The card doesn't complain when you just remove the fans power plug?

I have ordered JST to molex cable and a Fan Mate 2 just in case...

Like the attachment method though I will try to make one ribbon reach around the whole thing so I don't have to drill...

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
It seems like there could be a thriving business opportunity for 3D printed shrouds i.e, 92mm replacement direct mount or whatever.

I'd be interested in trying this! Although a 3D printed piece that measures 170 x 90 x 30mm will probably cost in the region of about $40 - $50. So it depends I guess on how much value you place on your 1050Ti being quieter?

I was thinking about doing this also, but instead using aluminum. Probably cost $10-20.

Reactions: Ceros_X

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Those fans look great in that case, @robbee.

@rupy, the card will work fine with stock fans unplugged. It's not like they have a sense wire there to keep the card from functioning. Plus all systems with custom water cooled GPUs don't have their stock fans anyway :)

If I'm getting MSI's low profile 1050 I'm gonna have to swap out the fans then (or RX 460, its fans look the same) but my case will only fit 60mm max. I'll go with either noiseblockers or Noctuas.

rupy

Cable Smoosher
Mar 7, 2017
ok thx!

hm, maybe 2x40mm noctuas would be better now that you mention 60mm!

certainly less cluttered and thinner!

I think the heatsink is 50mm high... really then one should use 3x40mm...

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
If I'm getting MSI's low profile 1050 I'm gonna have to swap out the fans then (or RX 460, its fans look the same) but my case will only fit 60mm max. I'll go with either noiseblockers or Noctuas.

I have two smaller Noctua fans I bought and couldn't use. I forget if they were 60mm or 40mm, but I'll double check if you're interested.

I know I opened one and it didn't fit the way I wanted, I can't remember if I opened both, but I was too lazy to send them back to Amazon.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
ok thx!

hm, maybe 2x40mm noctuas would be better now that you mention 60mm!

certainly less cluttered and thinner!

I think the heatsink is 50mm high... really then one should use 3x40mm...
If its a dual slot low profile card being used off the edge of an ITX board then technically you could always go lower than the bottom edge of the card, probably comfortably fit 2x 60mm fans.

Are we still talking custom shrouds?