News Low profile MSI GTX 1050 ti

I apologize if this isn't news worthy. There looked to be a lot of interest in a card like this so it seemed relevant.

A low profile GTX 1050 ti has shown up on MSI's website. It's a dual fan cooler that occupies two slots, slot powered, and has dvi/HDMI/DP outputs. I've not seen any announcements about it and couldn't find it for sale anywhere yet.

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-4GT-LP.html#hero-overview

Reactions: aquelito and EdZ

rupy

Cable Smoosher
Mar 7, 2017
@robbee Cool, would like more photos if you have any, the FC8 case, the 1050, and anything else, everything is of interest!

I'm leaning towards 2x40mm Noctuas for the 1050... Edit: actually nm, 65W needs at least 1x80mm...

Going for deluxe zip-ties:

@K888D I'm just thinking clutter here not space... I have a FC9 case, lots of room... the shroud is just fans and zip-ties...

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
If its a dual slot low profile card being used off the edge of an ITX board then technically you could always go lower than the bottom edge of the card, probably comfortably fit 2x 60mm fans.

If the case has the room, 80mm should also fit. Standoffs + mobo + gpu added together were about 80mm in my Streacom case.

@robbee Cool, would like more photos if you have any, the FC8 case, the 1050, and anything else, everything is of interest!

I'll get to it, but won't be able to do it any time sooner than the weekend :)

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Hey, I do in fact have two 40mm Noctua fans, the box says 40x10mm. NF-A4x10 FLX.

They never got used, though I'm pretty sure I opened one of them--the packaging is pretty pristine (if a little dusty) so it's actually possible I didn't. lol

If you want to save a buck, I imagine shipping would be like $10-15 within the US.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Hey, I do in fact have two 40mm Noctua fans, the box says 40x10mm. NF-A4x10 FLX.

They never got used, though I'm pretty sure I opened one of them--the packaging is pretty pristine (if a little dusty) so it's actually possible I didn't. lol

If you want to save a buck, I imagine shipping would be like $10-15 within the US.

If he doesn't want those 40mm noctuas I have a build in mind with them.

Reactions: zovc

rupy

Cable Smoosher
Mar 7, 2017
Completely cool, completey silent. I used both choke cables, and can go much lower on rpm with fan mate 2... temp is not a problem with 16/14nm... thank god msi made the heatsink plain and simple...

Edit: just used HWInfo to monitor what happens when I put the lid on... CPU is only 25W and GPU 37W with this game, the temps are 50C and 33C... putting lid on...

Edit2: Putting lid on only affects GPU temp... going up towards 40C... will probably stabilize at ~50 like the CPU...

I will probably not run this machine with the lid on... specially not when running VR games.

Last edited:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Did you try case closed ?

I have the exact same heatsink on my low profile 750 Ti and it doesn't not do a great job at keeping it cool and quiet...
I have a Streacom F7C, which has two intake fans.

rupy

Cable Smoosher
Mar 7, 2017
yep... 40C on the GPU, same 50C on CPU... the game is not very taxing... will install overwatch over the night...

Edit: I have zero intake fans... the nuctua is basically just whisking the heat around so the walls can radiate it... but this 16nm pascal chip is sooo cool!

Edit2: Ok lid after 30 mins not so good: GPU 50C and CPU 60C

Edit3: Taking lid off again, GPU 35C and CPU 55C... so I guess that is their stable temp with this game... will try overwatch when its done downloading... should max everything?

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015

Do you know for sure if those would run quieter than the stock fans of the GPU cooler? In either case, I am not yet ready to jump on a fan purchase, as I still have other parts on higher priority to buy.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I have one of these 40mm fan, they are pretty quiet but airflow is really weak...
Anyway the MSI LP 750 Ti twin 50mm fans are so awfull that any other undervolted fan should be better !

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Edit2: Ok lid after 30 mins not so good: GPU 50C and CPU 60C

Those are still nice temperatures. What cpu do you have?

GPU at 50C is very low for such a small cooling solution. Are you sure the gpu is at 100% load? Mine tends to get up to 70C after an hour of heavy gaming. Although i have a quite conservative fancurve that doesn't go above 1400rpm.

rupy

Cable Smoosher
Mar 7, 2017
Ok, I'm trying to make the system last >10 years so I need to keep it cool. The CPU is a 6600 (because microsoft is forcing non win 7 on Kaby Lake and I need win for Unity work unfortunately).

The temps are very application dependent, so overwatch is kind to the CPU but maxxes the GPU, and then the GPU will go above 60C, but I stopped there because I need the temps to stay below "long touch" (my standard for having electronics last >10 years, if you can't keep a finger on any place of any electronics _forever_ it's a dealbreaker)...

The heatsink is too small for VR gaming without bringing the fan up so I have 2 solutions in mind:

1) Heatpipes... to some external place... the lid for example...
2) Adjustable fan speeds via the gfx header or with fan mate 2... have ordered both.

I don't really play overwatch and there is no good VR game out yet so I have time... The only game I play now is Meadow and it's CPU bound because of Unity and simple lowpoly graphics.

One really huge advantage of using this cooling is that the fan will blow air under the motherbord cooling the CPU slightly from below!

Last edited:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
In a modded F7C, with two intake Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm fans, my 750 Ti reached 80°/85° c after a small hour of Day of Infamy (HL² mod), not very demanding game.

Temps are better now that the GPU is in horizontal position (fans facing top panel).

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Ok, I'm trying to make the system last >10 years so I need to keep it cool. The CPU is a 6600.

The temps are very application dependent, so overwatch is kind to the CPU but maxxes the GPU, and then the GPU will go above 60C, but I stopped there because I need the temps to stay below "long touch" (my standard for having electronics last >10 years, if you can't keep a finger on any place of any electronics _forever_ it's a dealbreaker)...

The heatsink is too small for VR gaming without bringing the fan up so I have 2 solutions in mind:

1) Heatpipes... to some external place... the lid for example...
2) Adjustable fan speeds via the gfx header or with fan mate 2... have ordered both.

I don't really play overwatch and there is no good VR game out yet so I have time... The only game I play now is Meadow and it's CPU bound because of Unity and simple lowpoly graphics.

One really huge advantage of using this cooling is that the fan will blow air under the motherbord cooling the CPU slightly from below!

Sorry, but trying to keep hardware good for 10 years is a losing game. Mostly because almost all modern hardware with the exception of PSUs should last that long but also because the hardware will be obsolete long before it breaks. Imagine trying to play Overwatch on hardware from 10 years ago. Or 8. Or 6. And that would be the top tier card struggling to keep up, now imagine you are trying to use a budget card from that time frame. You may be able to load a game, but it won't be fun. It won't support DX11 or DX12, etc.

You really can't future proof, instead you should look to optimize bang for your buck and don't spent outside what you need to get acceptable performance. But all the extra money into a savings accou t for upgrading in 2-3 years and shop the low end. Look at the 1050Ti vs a GTX 8800 from a while back - smoke checking it for sure for a fraction of the price.

Reactions: 213NSX and zovc

rupy

Cable Smoosher
Mar 7, 2017
@aquelito Are you running without lid?

@Ceros_X I guess you missed that Moore's law is failing. It will be at least 20 years before any alternative to electric transistors are developed and commercialized, if ever. Next step for Intel is 7nm and the time they will take to get to market will probably be 2-3 times the 14nm, I'm pretty sure those processors will not be more powerful than the current generation, they might save you a few watts, but they will not make an upgrade worthwhile.

You can clearly see this in the progress of C++ which started increasing again when individual processor cores peaked in 2003.

As to why we can't keep piling cores there are good reasons for that too... I was wondering where my 16 core desktop Intel processor was... and even if we had more cores writing async software to scale inside of one process is hard, I know since I wrote my own NIO webserver.

Next step for processors is probably async processors, but the same problem there; async is hard.

Last edited:

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
@aquelito Are you running without lid?

@Ceros_X I guess you missed that Moore's law is failing. It will be at least 20 years before any alternative to electric transistors are developed and commercialized, if ever. Next step for Intel is 7nm, I'm pretty sure those processors will not be more powerful than the current generation, they might save you a few watts, but they will not make an upgrade worthwhile.

You can clearly see this in the progress of C++ which started increasing again when individual processor cores peaked in 2003.

As to why we can't keep piling cores there are good reasons for that too... I was wondering where my 16 core desktop Intel processor was...

Just because Moores law has slown down doesn't mean progress is going to stop. Different instruction sets will still be developed and included (i.e. support for oboard x264 and x265 decoding, DirectX as mentioned etc etc).

You mention no 16 core Intel desktop chip, I think a lot of the stagnation has to do with Intel not needing to be super innovative because they have been crushing AMD. AMD just released an 8C/16T chip and it will put pressure on Intel to match. Maybe not now, but in the future, 5 years from now? Sure. Another die shrink will make it much easier to fit more cores on more chips, especially with a lower TDP. Trying to limit yourself to a platform and chipset also has other disadvantages - what about the next USB 3.0, Thunderbolt, etc. VR is just emerging and I think that will continue to push things.

I'm not trying to piss in your cheerios, if you want to build a good system now that will last, more power to you. But I just don't think it is the best idea, and this is coming from a guy who finally updated his PC after keeping the same one since 2009

rupy

Cable Smoosher
Mar 7, 2017
I had the first Oculus DK1, and DK2 and now I have a Vive... I have made a MMO for VR, so that's the saddest part, the death of Moore's law means that the matrix will never become reality in my lifetime, atleast until we get a new async HDMI/OpenGL pipeline (again async is hard). But you are right new standards and protocols will emerge, what you have to look at is what do they deliver (I'm sceptical Vulkan will produce anything else than over engineered platforms). The lithography is the bottleneck, everything hinges off that. Resolution on screens will not increase if your GPU cannot drive it. Having USB5 with a bazillion TB/s means little if your CPU can't handle that data...

Another thing is peak hydrocarbons, which will also make stuff harder, but I guess if you are a technology optimist, you also believe in infinite growth and infinite energy?

The only energy received by earth is sunrays, the only way these are stored on earth is by photosyntesis, we have burned millions of years of sunlight in 200 years.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
In a modded F7C, with two intake Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm fans, my 750 Ti reached 80°/85° c after a small hour of Day of Infamy (HL² mod), not very demanding game.

Temps are better now that the GPU is in horizontal position (fans facing top panel).

Did you cut out fan holes at the top of your case? I assume you did, if you were to fit those intake fans. My custom case will also have the GPU in a horizontal position relative to the motherboard.

However, I'll probably go with the RX 460 low profile card. It's not as fast as the 1050 Ti, but when it's paired up with a 45-75 hz Freesync monitor, it should be a good experience for the money.