Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

DoneFor2

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 10, 2019
My L5 arrived earlier than I thought! It feels and looks very well made. My previous SFF cases were Lian Li PC-Q50, TT V1 and Metis Plus so this is a very big downsizing for me. ?

• Ryzen 3700x
  • MSI B450i
  • Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3200c16
  • Intel 660p 2TB
  • MSI GT 1030 DDR5 2GB fanless
  • Mini-com picoPSU-160-XT & 192W AC-DC external brick
  • Noctua NH-L12S
  • 2x Noctua NF-A8
Build photos

reasons4reasons

Trash Compacter
Jul 9, 2017
What AMD cards fit in this case?

The WX 2100, 3100, and 4100 all fit (single-slot low-profile workstation cards). MSI has a low-profile, single-slot RX 550 with a dual-slot cooler. They also have a low-profile, dual-slot RX 560 which is rare as hen's teeth and bordering on insultingly expensive for a 560, even used. VisionTek has a weird low-profile 1.25-slot RX 560 with 4 mini DisplayPort outputs that they sell as an professional card, which, while fairly expensive at $200, is sort of a deal compared to a new WX 4100 if you don't mind a slightly ugly, slightly weird, maybe thermally-constrained card. There might be a RX 5400 at some point that'll fit, but nothing confirms that card exists outside of some driver references.

(Side note: If you're looking for a AMD card for macOS reasons instead of AMD love or Linux reasons, your only options are the RX 560 or the WX 4100. The others use Lexa instead of Polaris architecture and don't have macOS driver support. I went with the WX 4100 when I was looking for a low-profile card and I'm happy with it. It's very pretty, too, which is a rarity for a workstation card.)

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
The WX 2100, 3100, and 4100 all fit (single-slot low-profile workstation cards). MSI has a low-profile, single-slot RX 550 with a dual-slot cooler. They also have a low-profile, dual-slot RX 560 which is rare as hen's teeth and bordering on insultingly expensive for a 560, even used. VisionTek has a weird low-profile 1.25-slot RX 560 with 4 mini DisplayPort outputs that they sell as an professional card, which, while fairly expensive at $200, is sort of a deal compared to a new WX 4100 if you don't mind a slightly ugly, slightly weird, maybe thermally-constrained card. There might be a RX 5400 at some point that'll fit, but nothing confirms that card exists outside of some driver references.

(Side note: If you're looking for a AMD card for macOS reasons instead of AMD love or Linux reasons, your only options are the RX 560 or the WX 4100. The others use Lexa instead of Polaris architecture and don't have macOS driver support. I went with the WX 4100 when I was looking for a low-profile card and I'm happy with it. It's very pretty, too, which is a rarity for a workstation card.)

I can confirm everything @reasons4reasons said. I personally have an MSI RX560 LP card that I got used off of eBay for $140. It works fantastically in OS X with very minimal messing with. HOWEVER, out of the box the fans are annoyingly loud. I resorted to taking the fans out all together and plugging in the case fan to the RX560 fan header via adapter. About to try to fit in a slim 80mm below it.

Here's an image with the fans taken off.

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
Ok talk about a tight fit. Got the noiseblockers 80mm today and mounted at the bottom of the case. With the included rubber mounts there is literally no room left.

So good news is that everything works and the card temps are great. Bad news is that while the fan noise is better than stock, still pretty audible due to air intake turbulence. I’m going to try fitting in a Noctua low speed adapter and see if that does the trick.

newbiee

Chassis Packer
Sep 12, 2019

Thank you! Yes you guessed it right I'm planning to use it for MacOS reasons and when I backed read the MSI RX 560 turned up and I searched for it but can't find any! Still need to know if I can get all the parts before I decide for this case. Currently owning a Ghost but want to downsize more :D

Reactions: reasons4reasons

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Ok talk about a tight fit. Got the noiseblockers 80mm today and mounted at the bottom of the case. With the included rubber mounts there is literally no room left.

So good news is that everything works and the card temps are great. Bad news is that while the fan noise is better than stock, still pretty audible due to air intake turbulence. I’m going to try fitting in a Noctua low speed adapter and see if that does the trick.

Imo the coolermaster 80x15mm fans sound better than the noiseblocker. They are about 1mm thicker though.
You could also try the 80x10mm fans from Velkcase.

Reactions: A415Hz

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
@the1q not sure how well it would work, but you could try flipping the fan to blow out the case, which might reduce noise.

I keep dreaming about producing or finding a larger heat sink like those found on the GT 1030 that could be used to replace these smaller heatsink + fans, but have never done anything about it. Makes a little more sense now with the L5 and front fans.

EDIT: Another thought would be to 3D print a fan duct to direct air from the case fan across the heatsink.

Last edited:

CottonTexas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 14, 2019
...I keep dreaming about a larger heat sink, but have never done anything about it. Makes a little more sense now with the L5.

The Alpenfohn Black Ridge + 120mmx25mm fan = 72mm. Too much for the L5 by only 2mm, but with VLP-RAM you could run two 120mm fans (one slim on the underside), and have a very nice cooling solution in a tiny package. Just something I came across while I was looking at the L5. Cotton

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
The Alpenfohn Black Ridge + 120mmx25mm fan = 72mm. Too much for the L5 by only 2mm, but with VLP-RAM you could run two 120mm fans (one slim on the underside), and have a very nice cooling solution in a tiny package. Just something I came across while I was looking at the L5. Cotton

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I was referring to a replacement GPU heatsink (updated post to be more clear), but thanks for bringing up the Alpenfohn Black Ridge. I need to get my hands on one of these. Using a 120x120x12/15 mm fan with the Alpenfohn Black Ridge would be perfect.

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
@the1q not sure how well it would work, but you could try flipping the fan to blow out the case, which might reduce noise.

I keep dreaming about producing or finding a larger heat sink like those found on the GT 1030 that could be used to replace these smaller heatsink + fans, but have never done anything about it. Makes a little more sense now with the L5 and front fans.

EDIT: Another thought would be to 3D print a fan duct to direct air from the case fan across the heatsink.

The exhaust fan is good idea. I actually took out the Noiseblocker since the GPU temps with just the Noctua 80mm intake weren't too bad (idling in low 50s). I've solved all the Hackintosh GPU acceleration issues, the sleep wake issues, and USB issues. I pretty much have a golden build. Now I'm terrified of updating to Catalina. I guess us folks have to tinker with something always don't we?

EDIT: BTW, I've been able to undervolt my i7 7700 (non-K) to just 1.55 core. Idle using the Arctic Alpine 12 Passive is mid 40's and full load is mid 80's. This machine is SUPER quiet. I love it.

EDIT 2: added the noiseblockers back in as an exhaust and hooked it up to the MB system fan header. Have it running a constant 25% and it reduces idle temp by 5-7 degrees. The front intake is still hooked up to the GPU. This is the best combo of noise and temp for the GPU that I’ve found.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jello and Lone

MvKeinen

Caliper Novice
Jan 17, 2017
@the1q look forward to your build!

Please note, the L5 in black is out of stock due to a shortage of switches. I should receive more switches in a week or two. The L5 in white/black is physically out of stock.
does that mean the black version becomes available in the next few days? I'd like to order one as soon as possible.

thx

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
does that mean the black version becomes available in the next few days? I'd like to order one as soon as possible.

thx

I have received my order of switches, however the remaining stock may not make it back online. I'll send you a PM.

Any chance you'll consider doing another run of the L5X?

Slight chance.

Reactions: jaro

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Received a G-Unique Arch Daemon today. I dealt with G-Unique via email (which worked well), and had it built with a KPJX-PM DC jack. I'll be using it with the Adapter Technology ATS200T-P120 (192W) AC adapter available from mini-box.com.

Here's a comparison between the 150W and 192W AC adapters available from mini-box.com:

Last edited:

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Question to those using the HDPLEX 200w DC-ATX with the heatsink removed, has anyone had any issues with it yet?

None here! I’m only using about 10–15% capacity, though. I can pull the case apart tonight and touch-test for any hotspots, but granted there is really good airflow from the top fan (NH-R8), I seriously doubt it’s having any trouble staying cool… ✌

Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Quick sort of non-update, but maybe a fun mod for anyone interested—

I noticed a bunch of cat hair and dust accumulating on the front grille of the L5, and a non-zero amount making it inside, so I thought I'd try and shim in a little filter.

We had a few extra filters for an air purifier (it uses a screen to catch large airborne particles, a coarse filter that feels like a ScotchBrite pad, then a fine HEPA/whatever filter for the smallest pollutants), so I cut a little 3.5x8" rectangle out and fitted it between the fan bracket and front grille. Snug, but not tight enough to interfere with the fan hubs/blades.

It seems to act as a bit of a noise dampener as well—prior, there was a bit of a hum to the fans that I could stop by firmly gripping the outer panels of the case, but… it seems virtually silent, now.

Buttoned it back up too quickly to photograph the interior, but I cleaned up the cables, as well… previously, I'd tried to tuck as much behind the motherboard tray as possible, but I found it was crimping things and making it less maintainable.

Here's a photo of the material. Thinking I might try and use another chunk of it in the panels of my DA2, and see if it's any less restrictive than the magnetic filters it came with.