Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
From what I can tell, the positive pressure definitely moves heat out the back of the case. There’s a bit of radiant heat that escapes out the side, but comparatively very little.

You could try rotating the side panel 180° such that the side vent is at the lower front corner, and the bottom perforations land above the CPU, but… at this point, we’re just messing with the iconic look. I’d recommend avoiding a plug-in DC-ATX unit and finding some VLP RAM if you’re concerned about optimizing a passive cooler. ?

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018

That's the Ryzen 5 3600 in. I've placed an order for a Cryorig C7G and J-Hack's brackets to make it work with the board. Also got some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaunt.

Next up is the following which should hopefully be soon as now have a job again:

A Noctua NF-A9 Chromax fan to replace the C7 fan
ASUS 1650 LP (Hopefully the rumoured Ti model)
Adata SU800 1TB M.2 (Adapter should be on the way, this will be the boot + program drive)
2x ADATA SX8200 PRO 2TB M.2 (4TB in total for project files)
64GB 2666MHZ Corsair Vengeance LPX
Dell 330W Brick

Should be pretty bonkers. 64GB RAM and around 5TB of storage in under 5 litres.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone

II StigZ II

What's an ITX?
Oct 15, 2019
Hi guys, just finished building my PC. Loving the case so far. Thought i'd show some photos of it and talk you through some things i did. It wasn't letting me insert the images for some reason, so i've put a link to them on imgur.

Parts:
Motherboard - ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
CPU - Ryzen 5 1600
CPU Cooler - Stock Ryzen Wraith Spire
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB 3200MHz
SSD - WD Blue SN500 NVMe
HDD - Not got one yet, will in the future if I need the extra storage.
GPU - Zotac GTX 1650 Low Profile
Power Supply - HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX + 230W HP OMEN 17-W108NG Y7X70EA AC-DC Converter
Case Fans - 2x Be Quiet Pure Wings 80mm

I managed to fit the 200W HDPLEX in the case with 25mm fans without removing the heat sink. There is about 4 paper widths of space between the fan and HDPLEX, so no vibrations. Air flow is hardly effected either seeing as most of the fan covered by the HDPLEX is the motor housing area. I did consider removing the heat sink like some others have but i thought i'd be on the safe side and leave it on seeing as it fits. I did however have to remove the small white button which helps if you ever need to take the HDPLEX out, but i can still get it off by using a small screw driver instead.

For the CPU cooler i managed to get the Wraith Spire in the case by removing the shroud. This gives it about 3mm extra clearance and comes with the added benefit of having a channel around it, which was perfect for routeing the HDPLEX power cable. I did have to swap the Wraith Spire from my 2600X main PC with the RGB one included with the 1600 because the shroud couldn't be removed from the RGB one.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
@the1q look forward to your build!

Please note, the L5 in black is out of stock due to a shortage of switches. I should receive more switches in a week or two. The L5 in white/black is physically out of stock.

Last edited:

MvKeinen

Caliper Novice
Jan 17, 2017
please excuse me if it has been answered elsewhere:

can the L5 house a hdplex 400w dc-dc, both case fans and two 2.5 drives using an iGPU? from looking at the pics I'd say no, but maybe I'm wrong.

MvKeinen

Caliper Novice
Jan 17, 2017

can the L5 house a hdplex 400w dc-dc, both case fans and two 2.5 drives using an iGPU? from looking at the pics I'd say no, but maybe I'm wrong.
ahh, forget that. I just read the whole thread :-)

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com

The 400W DC-ATX should fit (on its side) in place of GPU. Wiring would likely be an issue though. Only one 7.5mm 2.5” drive mount at the opposite end of the case.

Last edited:

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
Forgive the unfinished state, this was just a test. Everything booted up fine in Mac 10.14.3. Had to remove the plastic pin on the HDPLEX 200 but it does slide right in even with the front heatsink. It is touching the fan though and maybe a wee bit of flex back on the 24-pin connector. There are a couple things I need to resolve.
  1. HDPLEX cables are crazy long in this case so I'll need to zip tie them tidy including the extra unused 4-pin CPU connector.
  2. The Artic 12 Passive might have to be removed for my LH9i since I saw temps get into the 90s (yikes!) during some Photos app shenanigans.
  3. The MSI RX560 OC Low Profile works like a charm in a Hackintosh. However! That damn thing has the most annoying fan pitch at idle! It's running 30% at idle! I'm going to remove the stock fans from the card and use a mini gpu to 4-pin adapter and hook that up to the bottom 80mm Noctua. I'm thinking that should work...
More to come...

System Specs
  • i7 7700
  • 16 GB low profile ram
  • Gigabyte Z170n-Wifi
  • MSI RX560 OC LP
  • 2x Noctua NF-R8
  • HDPLEX 200
  • Dell 230W power brick

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I'm going to remove the stock fans from the card and use a mini gpu to 4-pin adapter and hook that up to the bottom 80mm Noctua

Mind you! the Nvidia version uses a tiny 2 pin fan header that might not be easy to use for your casefan. Better check first before you buy an adaptar.

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
Mind you! the Nvidia version uses a tiny 2 pin fan header that might not be easy to use for your casefan. Better check first before you buy an adaptar.

This AMD card uses standard 4-pin mini GPU plug. I'll sacrifice the $7 on amazon and give it a shot. You can just see the fan header in this image.

Reactions: August

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
  1. The Artic 12 Passive might have to be removed for my LH9i since I saw temps get into the 90s (yikes!) during some Photos app shenanigans.

This sounds like a banger of a build! Keep us posted on the GPU fan mod—hoping to do the same, myself (or, maybe just not even bother booking up new ones).

As for the 7700K, I imagine the full 91W TDP is going to be a challenge without a pretty aggressive fan curve—might be worth setting a power limit in the BIOS, or lowering the base clock? Granted some folx have reported success with 65W chips under the Alpine Passive, I’d be inclined to fiddle a bit before scrapping it! Having one less moving part is always nice. ?

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
This sounds like a banger of a build! Keep us posted on the GPU fan mod—hoping to do the same, myself (or, maybe just not even bother booking up new ones).

As for the 7700K, I imagine the full 91W TDP is going to be a challenge without a pretty aggressive fan curve—might be worth setting a power limit in the BIOS, or lowering the base clock? Granted some folx have reported success with 65W chips under the Alpine Passive, I’d be inclined to fiddle a bit before scrapping it! Having one less moving part is always nice. ?
I’ve been seeing temps mostly in the mid 70s under heavy load. Photos app threw it almost 100% load on all 8 threads so it spiked to the 90s for a bit. Also I’m running the non-K version of the 7700 so it’s “rated” at 65W but I think under full throttle it goes pretty high.

That reminds me, I should try to undervolt and see what happens.

Reactions: August

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
Ok did a few things to complete the build.
  • Did some cleanup of cables
  • Removed the GPU fan heatsink and hooked it up to the Noctua 80mm
  • Undervolt the i7 7700 to 1.65 volts and temps are definitely better. I will test to see how much lower it can go.
I'm still using the Arctic 12 Passive and hooked the Noctua NF-R8 to the CPU fan header. Temps are solid in the mid 70s under heavy load. Fan noise is higher than I'd like though so I'm going to see how temps do if I try the silent fan profile.

The GPU heatsink is definitely hot the touch. At idle the fan is spinning at 30% (~600 RPM) and temp is high 50s. @Lone can you fit in an 80mm fan below the GPU. I see two countersunk screw holes. I have enough room to squeeze in a slim 10mm fan. My 90mm slim is too big.

This has been a really fun build. I'm very happy with results. Just need to tweak the noise and temps.

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
@the1q great photos! The two countersink holes may be used to mount an 80mm fan. You would need to find some M3 flat head screws that are long enough, and nuts.