Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com

Thank you for working on this! I had a quick look, and next week I'll get you some more accurate dimensions to work with.

There is room vertically for one fan and an RPS-200-12-C, but it would require some changes to your design.

Also, since there's literally only about 40mm clearance with the fan mount installed, this adapter plate would have to sandwhich the fan mount between the adapter and the RPS-200-12-C. I see you have a recessed area for the RPS-200-12-C (which is very smart!), but it still appears to take away 2mm from that 40mm clearance, when the RPS-200-12-C specs show it being 40mm in width (is this correct?).

The 40mm clearance means you can't put the RPS-200-12-C next to the 24pin ATX connector (usually top fan position).

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
After having a new set of panels for a few weeks, I finally found time today to make the swap. I originally purchased the Batch 1 silver/black combo (slightly bent, but this was a known issue) and have been really impressed with the case. I was a bit disappointed in the original silver color as I was hoping of something closer to the color of my silver NCase M1, however I loved the thick powder coated finish on the L5! When James launched the second batch of panels in white, I knew I wanted to switch my panels out. I thought I would post a few pictures for everyone to see the difference in finish and hole size between the two batches. As far as the difference in panel quality between the two batches, the minor bend in the first batch never really bothered me, but I do think Batch 2 lines up better along the seam down the side.

The original silver is a satin finish with some reflectivity and an almost industrial aesthetic, but the new white panel is totally matte and looks really beautiful! I think the new mesh pattern looks more restrictive, but I doubt it will make much of a thermal difference. It also hides the internals from view a little better if that's what you're in to. On to the pictures!

@Dynamite thank you for taking the time to post the comparison photos!

Last edited:
Reactions: Metroversal

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thank you for working on this! I had a quick look, and next week I'll get you some more accurate dimensions to work with.

There is room vertically for one fan and an RPS-200-12-C, but it would require some changes to your design.

Also, since there's literally only about 40mm clearance with the fan mount installed, this adapter plate would have to sandwhich the fan mount between the adapter and the RPS-200-12-C. I see you have a recessed area for the RPS-200-12-C (which is very smart!), but it still appears to take away 2mm from that 40mm clearance, when the RPS-200-12-C specs show it being 40mm in width (is this correct?).

The 40mm clearance means you can't put the RPS-200-12-C next to the 24pin ATX connector (usually top fan position).

Seems the fan mount spacing is bigger than I thought.

I guess it would have to replace the fan mount itself to work.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Seems the fan mount spacing is bigger than I thought.

I guess it would have to replace the fan mount itself to work.

Here's a modified version of your concept:

Let me know if you would suggest any changes. It's usefulness is limited. Removing the fan mount would give more room/options, but then you'd have to come up with a way to mount the 80mm fan. I guess if someone wanted to, they could 3D print a whole new integrated mount for both the RPS-200-12-C and an 80 mm fan! :)

Here's the removable fan mount in case it's helpful to anyone:

Last edited:

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
After having a new set of panels for a few weeks, I finally found time today to make the swap. I originally purchased the Batch 1 silver/black combo (slightly bent, but this was a known issue) and have been really impressed with the case. I was a bit disappointed in the original silver color as I was hoping of something closer to the color of my silver NCase M1, however I loved the thick powder coated finish on the L5! When James launched the second batch of panels in white, I knew I wanted to switch my panels out. I thought I would post a few pictures for everyone to see the difference in finish and hole size between the two batches. As far as the difference in panel quality between the two batches, the minor bend in the first batch never really bothered me, but I do think Batch 2 lines up better along the seam down the side.

The original silver is a satin finish with some reflectivity and an almost industrial aesthetic, but the new white panel is totally matte and looks really beautiful! I think the new mesh pattern looks more restrictive, but I doubt it will make much of a thermal difference. It also hides the internals from view a little better if that's what you're in to. On to the pictures!

Hot!
Would love that white with a white front also

WHATT

Chassis Packer
Mar 26, 2019
I'm actually still pretty partial to the original gray/silver color with the black front. I'm gonna track down red vandal switch for it. Reminds me of the old IBM XT clones, just modernized a bit zapped with a shrink ray. lol. Finally looking at using this box for a build soon. The idea of forgoing a PSU within the chassis is still a new one to me. Waiting on pre-order for an HD Plex 200w unit. Anyone have any recommendations on an external power brick to pair with it?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I'm actually still pretty partial to the original gray/silver color with the black front. I'm gonna track down red vandal switch for it. Reminds me of the old IBM XT clones, just modernized a bit zapped with a shrink ray. lol. Finally looking at using this box for a build soon. The idea of forgoing a PSU within the chassis is still a new one to me. Waiting on pre-order for an HD Plex 200w unit. Anyone have any recommendations on an external power brick to pair with it?

Can you pair the HD Plex 200w plug in unit with the HD Plex internal AC/DC?

WHATT

Chassis Packer
Mar 26, 2019
You can, but I don't expect to have the room for it. I'm planning on using up the expansion slot area with a GTX 1650 whenever Zotac gets around to releasing the LP version. I don't think I'd have enough clearance on the other side of the case for an ATX 24pin connection plus the power brick.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com

There are some external AC adapters listed on the L5 product page. Some are the new slim models that fabio used/mentioned.

Reactions: WHATT

WHATT

Chassis Packer
Mar 26, 2019
Yeah I actually just went backwards in the thread and got to have a look at fabio's build. Pretty awesome... I also noticed that space may be even a little tighter than I assumed it would be for that 24pin. Hopefully that HD Plex 200 unit is skinny enough to fit. I'm having horrible visions of having to sand down and/or trim components to fit around eachother.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Yeah I actually just went backwards in the thread and got to have a look at fabio's build. Pretty awesome... I also noticed that space may be even a little tighter than I assumed it would be for that 24pin. Hopefully that HD Plex 200 unit is skinny enough to fit. I'm having horrible visions of having to sand down and/or trim components to fit around eachother.

If you're using an external brick, then the only issue worth mentioning is with the HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX, you need to plan to use slim 80 mm case fans. If you don't need any case fans, then you'll have plenty of room. Based on the 200W DC-ATX dimensions, an 80x25mm fan would touch/push against the HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX heatsink, especially with silicone fan mounts which need about 1mm.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHATT

staircase

Trash Compacter
Jan 26, 2018
If it's touching slightly, can I just remove one of the heatsinks, sand the back of it, carefully, just to thin out the aluminum?

I hope it will be in stock soon. Or I can go for G-unique.

@fabio did you ever resolve the G-unique issue? What is the plug that you are using? would C14 fit at the current location (with some modification)?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
If it's touching slightly, can I just remove one of the heatsinks, sand the back of it, carefully, just to thin out the aluminum?

I'm sure you can, just not sure that I would. ;) Using 80x15 mm fans like those from Noiseblocker may be easier. Or just use one 80x25 mm fan in the lower position? Totally depends on your build, and what you feel you need though.

@fabio did you ever resolve the G-unique issue? What is the plug that you are using? would C14 fit at the current location (with some modification)?

The GX12 connector can be used as an AC inlet, which is what @fabio used as far as I know.

staircase

Trash Compacter
Jan 26, 2018
The GX12 connector can be used as an AC inlet, which is what @fabio used as far as I know.

Looks like I didn't read clearly before, thanks. I am hoping to use a C14, so I did some digging.

Looks like it clears (uxcell Panel Mount from Amazon). (the actual opening would be smaller. I don't have that dimension yet)
Those low profile ugh... pins? contact? are nice touch.
I think it will also be clear from the CPU cooler.

I will have to 3d print a custom clip to hold that in place.

BTW, HDPLEX is now in stock. I was thinking to buy it, but I still want it to be brickless.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016

Here me back!!

Actually I want to try after my holiday (I will back in September) to use it with an Asus/Gigabyte board, to check if the issue is with the MB or is the PSU.

Right now I am using/trying the Asus Z390/9900K with the KMPKT 200W with the Dell 180W, and the new Big Shuriken 3 with a Slim Noctua on top (Just for the noise). So I can use my 3200 C14 G.Skill RAM, with no problem. The only Drawback is that 1cm on the left of the fan is not matching the holes. Maybe because the BS3 is becoming popular will be possible to increase the square of the CPU cooler openings?

The cpu is Limited at 120w/150w, and under long render session/prime95 with AVX my temp are MAX 85 degrees. In September I want to swap for a 3900X and a 1650 LP, in passive mode. (The 1050 ti is EXTREMELY good!!).

Here my actual desk! The size of this case is almost perfect!

@Lone Maybe for the next batch/V6/V5.1 , think also to add that few mm to give people the option to have the ASUS DTX board maybe??.

ryandvd

Caliper Novice
Sep 9, 2017
new Big Shuriken 3 with a Slim Noctua on top (Just for the noise). So I can use my 3200 C14 G.Skill RAM, with no problem. The only Drawback is that 1cm on the left of the fan is not matching the holes.
Can you post some pics sir? Also interested in bs3 if it will fit in my l5..also had tall rams thats keeps me out from buying...found some pictures on net that bs3 with tall rams.. thanks

ryandvd

Caliper Novice
Sep 9, 2017
Thanks..by the way is there difference between stock fan and noctua? How is the temperatures? Using stock amd cooler and negative air pressure in my build, hope this bs3 will suck more air inside..

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Looks like I didn't read clearly before, thanks. I am hoping to use a C14, so I did some digging.

Looks like it clears (uxcell Panel Mount from Amazon). (the actual opening would be smaller. I don't have that dimension yet)
Those low profile ugh... pins? contact? are nice touch.
I think it will also be clear from the CPU cooler.

I will have to 3d print a custom clip to hold that in place.

BTW, HDPLEX is now in stock. I was thinking to buy it, but I still want it to be brickless.

The low profile pins are a nice touch. Maybe you can find one that will snap into place?