Lone Industries L3: Plain and Simple

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
It is possible, but I agree with everything that's been said. Margins are very slim without raising prices significantly. Add 1-2 middle men and there just isn't enough money to go around. That's not to say I wouldn't work with a retailer if they wanted to bring in some cases for customers. Some retailers may want to stock unique products for their customers even if they're not making anything, if only as a lost leader, or to simply help the community.

Buying from Canada is really good for US customers right now due to the low Canadian Dollar (or is it a high USD?). I'm not sure how international currencies compare to CAD though. $1 CAD = .71 USD approx right now.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Buying from Canada is really good for US customers right now due to the low Canadian Dollar (or is it a high USD?). I'm not sure how international currencies compare to CAD though. $1 CAD = .71 USD approx right now.

At the moment;
1 CAD =
1 AUD (nifty)
1.10 NZD
0.5 GBP
0.65 EUR

Reactions: Lone

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

The US dollar is strong currently, and the Canadian dollar has become surprisingly weak (to me at least). So yes, Canadian prices are now pretty cheap to buyers with US dollars.

(As Kimera Industries is based in the US, this stinks for us, because it means our case is very expensive to international markets.)

By the way, if all you care about it getting as many cases in people's hands as possible, one method (that Kimera Industries has actually been approached about, for certain international markets) is to license the design of the case, and let some other company deal with manufacturing, fulfillment, support, and so forth. You'd get contractual guarantees of IP protection and a pre-determined payment for each case that's sold, and wouldn't have to think about it.

I'm sure there are third parties big and small (and can think of a few) that have a really good product pipeline, and would be pretty interested in such an arrangement.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
By the way, if all you care about it getting as many cases in people's hands as possible, one method (that Kimera Industries has actually been approached about, for certain international markets) is to license the design of the case, and let some other company deal with manufacturing, fulfillment, support, and so forth. You'd get contractual guarantees of IP protection and a pre-determined payment for each case that's sold, and wouldn't have to think about it.

I'm sure there are third parties big and small (and can think of a few) that have a really good product pipeline, and would be pretty interested in such an arrangement.

Isn't this how Jonsbo and Rosewill handle this sort of thing? IIRC, Jonsbo are the original designers and are responsible for the Asian market, Rosewill manufacture and sell the cases in the US and Cooltek only distributes them in Europe alongside their own unique cases under the Jonsbo label.

pazoo

Caliper Novice
Dec 25, 2015
I still get people subscribing to the waiting list, but not very often. I'm pretty sure the only way people find out about me are through the forums. Currently 75% want black, the other 25% is split between silver and grey. The new anodizer I have been planning to use has a slightly different grey (they call it pewter), and has a bit of a blue to it.

Silver is what I'd prefer but I'm fine with black if that's the only choice.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
The US dollar is strong currently, and the Canadian dollar has become surprisingly weak (to me at least). So yes, Canadian prices are now pretty cheap to buyers with US dollars.

(As Kimera Industries is based in the US, this stinks for us, because it means our case is very expensive to international markets.)

I think you'll find that the largest market is right out your own back door.

That's a good idea to just license the design. The thought has crossed my mind to just publish the CAD files and let people use it to produce the design wherever if they like, especially if I don't continue to produce them myself.

Silver is what I'd prefer but I'm fine with black if that's the only choice.

No matter how tempting it may be, I can't see myself only doing black again (ie. L1 ver 2 was only available in black powder coat).

pazoo

Caliper Novice
Dec 25, 2015
I think I would use something like this. Two of them if I needed it for 12v

I wonder if there's enough space to put 2 of those (+ the hdplex250 itself).
Maybe with an inverted layout, like the BOXX apexx1, which is very close in dimensions to the L3, 215 x 95 x 221 mm VS 11.9 cm x 21.6 cm x 22.9 cm.
In this case, we would have the bottom and the front free to install the psus.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Just a quick update so people don't think I've dropped off the face of the earth. I have been going back and forth on whether to continue with the project, and even went as far as disabling my website. Part of this was a result of me thinking I wanted to change my business name, which is probably a stupid idea. I have a new design that I've been sleeping on for months now (similar size, different construction, and somewhat similar appearance). Just received quotes back the other day which look acceptable. I don't want to lead people on, so I'm going to refrain from releasing any more information or photos until I'm absolutely sure it's going to happen. My new manufacturer has a hefty setup fee, so the next step is to take a leap of faith, pay the setup fee and order a prototype.

I have also been wondering if I should try doing a small Kickstarter with low expectations ($1500 maybe?), to help pay the setup fee and perhaps reach a larger audience.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I think the lone brand is very representative of the style of case you're making, so unless you're planning to change direction, I wouldn't change the brand.

A small crowdfunding campaign might be a good idea, the worst that can happen is that it fails, best case is you don't have to invest the money yourself and sell more cases than you otherwise would.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Thanks iFreilicht, I appreciate your thoughts.

My new manufacturer called today and has a window of opportunity to work on my parts, so I've sent them CAD files and will be submitting a purchase order for a prototype. My employer has offered to sponsor the project financially, so I may take them up on their offer.

I would really like to follow NFC's lead in not including a power switch by default (optional maybe?). Not sure though. :\

Reactions: Hahutzy and Phuncz

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
My employer has offered to sponsor the project financially, so I may take them up on their offer.

I would really like to follow NFC's lead in not including a power switch by default (optional maybe?). Not sure though. :\

Holy cow, what a cool employer! Do they have any interest in purchasing a few cases?

Do you have any data on how many people have swapped the button out on your previous cases? It's a little different to the S4 Mini in that your cases always have the button on the back, so there's no aesthetic reason to swap it out if its already black and not illuminated. On the S4 Mini, the illuminated button is part of the design, so to offer the widest variety of colours, it's easiest to just let the user pick them for themselves.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
Would definitely love to see the revival of this case!

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Holy cow, what a cool employer! Do they have any interest in purchasing a few cases?

Do you have any data on how many people have swapped the button out on your previous cases? It's a little different to the S4 Mini in that your cases always have the button on the back, so there's no aesthetic reason to swap it out if its already black and not illuminated. On the S4 Mini, the illuminated button is part of the design, so to offer the widest variety of colours, it's easiest to just let the user pick them for themselves.

Ya, they are pretty cool most the time I guess. ;) I usually get them to buy at least one for myself. If it were a government organization I imagine it would be considered a conflict of interest.

Good point about the S4 Mini. I haven't heard of anyone swapping out the switch. But who's to say the L4 has the power switch on the back?! Who am I kidding, it's still on the back. I think my target audience (me) probably expects a switch to be included.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
As a prior customer of yours, I've gotta say that being able to build straight into the case without having to order extra parts is a selling point for me. The vandal switch you used on the L1 was simple (2 pin) but adequate. Also it was understated and fit the aesthetic of the case just fine for my taste.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I agree. I'm planning to continue to use those switches (I also happen still have some). The switch only represents about $6 of the price, but that doesn't include my time to do the wiring (maybe $1-2 worth?).

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
How long does that take you? Does it have screw terminals or do you have to solder something?

Not sure, it's been awhile since I last did it. Involves cutting, stripping, crimping, inserting, soldering, and heat shrinking (twice per switch). I may look at not soldering onto the switch again. Haven't been able to find a suitable quick disconnect that I liked. Soldering to the switch is very compact and clean looking.

Keep it small and I'll buy one! :)

It's still about the same size (a little shorter and longer).