Lone Industries L3: Plain and Simple

pazoo

Caliper Novice
Dec 25, 2015
Not sure that would be possible and that might already been asked but, would it be possible that you add an optional tfx psu mount? (in the front or at the bottom) It looks like the case has enough width fot that.
I know it is not the intended configuration, but think of it like the m1 or nova providing an optional ATX support. It is not recommended and it comes with a lot of trade-offs but you really want, you "can".

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I think FlexATX makes a lot more sense. TFX is 80mm thick (EDIT: 65mm, sorry), I'm not even sure whether it would even fit anywhere. Instead of making it a stock option, a FlexATX mounting bracket could be considered as an optional accessory, but it would highly complicate the design of this otherwise minimalist case.
To me, it seems like the more sensible way is just mounting such a component with double sided foam tape or velcro strips if you want to.

Last edited:

pazoo

Caliper Novice
Dec 25, 2015
You're probably right, given the size of the L3, flexATX makes more sense. The only problem I have with tape or velcro, is that I really don't trust them when transporting the case, and one of the big plus of having a small case is that it's easily transportable.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
If you get strong tape/velcro, you can trust it more than the structural integrity of the case itself. Gluing technology has come a long way. Most parts of cars are glued together instead of being welded, so if glued bonds can bear tons of weight, it seems reasonable to think that they can carry a 700g PSU.

niksus

Efficiency Noob
May 20, 2015
Is there really enough space for a FlexATX PSU anywhere?
From the pictures of L1/L2 builds, they hardly fit even HD-Plex 250W and L3 is almost same size.

pazoo

Caliper Novice
Dec 25, 2015
At the front I'm not sure, but at the botton if you give up the expansion slot, I think there is.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Someone has crammed a Flex ATX PSU in an L1 before, but it wasn't easy:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1505888/build-log-brickless-lone-industries-l1

TFX looks better to me than Flex ATX given the 80 mm fan, and possibly better product options.

http://seasonic.com/product/tfx-350/
http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-tfx-350w-psu-review/
(Too bad it's not available in black)
http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/49
(Not sure if this is available in America)

I dislike power bricks as much as the next person, but I still prefer the simplicity of the PicoPSU form factor (if you can call it that). I would personally like to see power requirements continue to drop so that smaller and smaller external power bricks could be used.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Whoops, I thought TFX was 80mm high, not 65. With that in mind, a TFX should fit just as good, but you'll probably have to mod the ATX24pin connector to get the cables to fit, or get a mainbord where that connector is at the top, not at the front.

Personally, I would rather mod a FlexATX PSU for using a 80mm fan instead of buying a TFX PSU, as you gain a good bit of additional space by that and could potentially decide to use slim fans as well. The gained space can be used for a 2.5" drive or something along those lines, so it is worth considering.

pazoo

Caliper Novice
Dec 25, 2015
well if we can make it fit in an L1, should be a piece of cake in an L3, right ;)
I'm naively imagining some L-shaped optional mount.

The seasonic looks great in black! But I can't find it in the US...

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I'm naively imagining some L-shaped optional mount.

Well yes, but where do you mount the mounting bracket? If the PSU is in the front, you'd either have to drill holes through the front with an L-shaped mount, which is a complete no-go, or you'd have to make the mount in such a way that it can be screwed in through the bottom.

You will get a stability problem, though, as the top of the PSU isn't reatained in any way, so the bracket could bend over time or during transportation of a rig, so you have to take that into account when designing the bracket or find a way to make an additional retention bracket the holds the top part.

Then you'd probably have to make it adjustable in some way because some people might use longer GPUs while others might have more cabling to deal with.

In the end, just using double sided mounting tape is the easiest and cleanest solution, and as such tape is designed to hold picture frames on walls, I have no doubt it will be able to securely hold a PSU inside a PC case. You also have to think about the viability of such an accessory. How many people would actually buy something like this?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
A bracket isn't very difficult. I'd need to add an exhaust vent, or duct/divert the exhaust slightly to the existing bottom vent. There'd be no room for mounting 2.5 inch drives in their current location at the front, but I have been thinking about allowing mounting drives behind the motherboard at the expense of reducing CPU cooler clearance.

How much clearance is required for a right angle C14 power cord? It's too bad the TFX PSU is so big. It looks like a nicer out of the box option.

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
With a Flex ATX PSU centered top to bottom at the front of the L3 there's about 33 mm clearance on either side. I'm not aware of any low profile GPU that would extend past the motherboard. If it did, clearance would be an issue, unless the Flex ATX PSU was pushed more towards the top of the case.

Not sure where all the wires would go. I think you'd have to make the case longer to give room for the wires. Otherwise you'd have to stuff wires over top the motherboard.

Last edited:

pazoo

Caliper Novice
Dec 25, 2015
With a Flex ATX PSU centered top to bottom at the front of the L3 there's about 33 mm clearance on either side. I'm not aware of any low profile GPU that would extend past the motherboard. If it did, clearance would be an issue, unless the Flex ATX PSU was pushed more towards the top of the case.

Not sure where all the wires would go. I think you'd have to make the case longer to give room for the wires. Otherwise you'd have to stuff wires over top the motherboard.

I feel compromises are completely ok if using a flexATX or TFX psu becomes an option. If you want more space, you use a picoPSU which should still be the preferred way, flexATX is just an option for people that dont need 2 drives and/or a GPU. Your case is great as it is, I thought this would be a good option because I saw builds not fully loaded and those empty spaces felt like they could be used for an internal psu.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. I'm planning to look at Flex ATX and maybe TFX at some point. I'm currently trying to find a new manufacturer.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I received a Seasonic SS-250SU Flex ATX PSU. Initial thoughts are: Fan is way too loud at idle. Wires are very plentiful, and long. ;)

I think I'll buy a Noctua 40 mm fan to try. That's about this little PSU's only hope.