Concept litecase - 13L vertical ITX case with support for 3-slot GPUs

ratherlargepie

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 2, 2018

litecase is a 13.3L vertical ITX enclosure designed to accommodate oversized graphics cards while still allowing for ample air CPU cooling. It is designed in such a way that it could be affordable to produce and efficient for cooling.

I started designing litecase while looking for an ITX case that could fit my behemoth Zotac 2080 AMP! Edition. The only cases that could fit it were the Sliger SM560 and the NCASE M1 v6 (which is hard enough to buy as it is), but I didn’t want a long case with a large footprint on my desk. I currently have my build in an NZXT h200 which is almost the same length as the SM560, and there are currently no vertical offerings that can fit a 2.5-3 slot graphics card. That is the entire reason I’m doing this; I would rather build a case than trade my Zotac 2080 for a more reasonably sized RTX card.

litecase current specs:

380mm x 160mm x 220mm
CPU Cooler Clearance: ~70mm
GPU Clearance: ~160mm x ~330mm x ~60mm
PSU: SFX only
Fans: 2x120mm at front of case. 1x140mm at top. No radiator support currently.
2 x 2.5” SSD mounts

Can be oriented vertically or horizontally.

There are 30mm between the motherboard I/O and the bottom of the case. Ideally, this is enough space for cables to not get bent in order to reach the I/O. I might be designing an add-in I/O extension in the future (a-la Dune case).

What do you all want to see with this case? What feedback do you have? I’m just one person, so even though I’m modeling in 3D, I still might not be seeing the case from every angle. Do you want radiator support? At the top or at the front? Do you want to see a slimmer version that only accommodates thinner graphics cards?

Let me know!

Intelsonic

Efficiency Noob
Aug 27, 2018
Awesome concept! love the idea of a vertical case (especially with allowances to route cables neatly), I think at this size though rad support is a must.

Any ideas on front I/O for the case?

Reactions: ratherlargepie

ratherlargepie

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 2, 2018
Awesome concept! love the idea of a vertical case (especially with allowances to route cables neatly), I think at this size though rad support is a must.

I've been struggling with I/O! It's just going to go under the front vent holes. Probably one usb-c and a small power button. I want to keep it as minimal as possible. I'm not confident Rad support will be possible without compromising elsewhere, but I'll continue to work on it.

ratherlargepie

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 2, 2018

Actually, thank you so much for this comment about rad support. Redoing entire layout.

DmanX

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 12, 2019
Consider flipping the insides so that there's easy access to the I/O from the top without having to pick up or tilt the case. The top panel could be magnetic like the Ghost S1.

A front power button towards the bottom would look nice and would be convenient. And to the top or bottom of the button, a USB C port.

I like that there is 75mm clearance for an air cooler. Just right to a Noctua L12s

Reactions: anoldfriend

youngdocument

Trash Compacter
Nov 15, 2018
Love this design. Triple slot support plus 70mm+ CPU cooler height in a vertical layout is the dream. Panels looks really good!

ratherlargepie

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 2, 2018
Consider flipping the insides so that there's easy access to the I/O from the top without having to pick up or tilt the case. The top panel could be magnetic like the Ghost S1.

A front power button towards the bottom would look nice and would be convenient. And to the top or bottom of the button, a USB C port.

I like that there is 75mm clearance for an air cooler. Just right to a Noctua L12s

I initially thought about having the case be a top-down vertical mount with the I/O terminating at the top but I cannot stand the way cables stick out in that situation. That's why the I/O is terminating on the bottom. Ideally, an exhaust fan at the top will also help with thermals (heat rises and all that).

That being said, the case will be screwed together instead of riveted. It would be possible for the end-user to invert the layout of the case if that's what they prefer.

Right angle display adapters will be included with the case. I may also design a USB hub that slots into one of the bottom cutouts to make I/O access easier.

Reactions: maxdfw and DmanX