Motherboard List of motherboards with angled Pcie slot (-PIO)

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
My problem with these is they are not Thin Mini ITX and all (?) of them has the 24 pin ATX connector and so it's impossible to build a very thin machine out of them. Pity!

wiretap

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2017
Here's another.. I have one in my pfSense Thin-ITX firewall. Although I'll be upgrading soon since it doesn't support AES-NI.

http://jetwaycomputer.com/NF9HG.html

And I had to modify my Silverstone PT13 for it to fit, since the PCIe x1 slot sticks out too far on the side, lol.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Good read. I looked at a few of these boards, but they just seem lacking in some way or are not as thin as they potentially could be.

Couldn't they make a fully featured enthusiast Mini ITX or micro ATX board that could match the performance of a regular height board, with these changes:

1) Half-height on the I/O connectors
2) Two slots for 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM
3) a 90 Degree x16 PCI-e slot
4) At least one M.2 slot
5) 90 Degree connectors for the 24-pin ATX, SATA, and the 20-Pin USB 3.0

That would be killer... because at that point the tallest component would be the I/O slot.

Now I know that most enthusiast boards need heatsinks on the VRM.

So if there is only half height to work with, they can add a heatspreader like this:

across the motherboard surface to contact the VRM and other hot chips?? :D :D

I know that they make DDR4 3000 speed laptop ram, so it's possible I hope

SIEGEX

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
Wow, I didn't know these existed, and they're reasonably priced too. It definitely makes sense that the PCIe slot is at the other side than usual to point the GPU- and CPU-fan in the same direction.

If these are actual ASRock and GIGABYTE boards, why do they only sell them in China? There would definitely be demand for them in the rest of the world.

EDIT: Wow, most of the GIGABYTE ones are even thin mini itx!
They have been popular in the asian countries for quite a number of years. Asian countries due to usually confined spaces are highly into sff cases. That's why it's popular.

The trend for computing has really been an american thing only (Americans usually think bigger is better) so for years the western world has been infatuated with Monstrous Eatx-Atx cases

Anybody have a source for Asrock's Z170M-PIO2?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170M-PIO2/

I'm ready to bite the bullet on this project.
In the event you find one. Please share thw link. Maybe emailing asrock might do the trick

Here's another.. I have one in my pfSense Thin-ITX firewall. Although I'll be upgrading soon since it doesn't support AES-NI.

http://jetwaycomputer.com/NF9HG.html

And I had to modify my Silverstone PT13 for it to fit, since the PCIe x1 slot sticks out too far on the side, lol.

Whats gpu have you found runs in that setup

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SeñorDonut

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
FYI I struggled greatly to order one of the Asrock boards, to no avail. I meant to share this earlier.

Still looking for an ITX s1151 PIO board for my projects... Maybe some other supplier will eventually retail a board.

SIEGEX

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
FYI I struggled greatly to order one of the Asrock boards, to no avail. I meant to share this earlier.

Still looking for an ITX s1151 PIO board for my projects... Maybe some other supplier will eventually retail a board.
Did you contact Asrock?

SIEGEX

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
Yes, and worked with 2 of their agents but they responded slowly, and then not at all.
I believe you'll really have to think out of the box when attempting to purchase one of these.

These boards were originally a trend for the asian market....not the western world. So you'll need to deal with an asian Asrock supplier. This is your current hurdle until they gain more traction in the western world.

I'd probably be more inclined to start contacting asrock in any asian country, I'd also contact an asian country with a high integration of the english language.

The Philippines would be high on that list.

Next option tabao?

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
if you're still trying to get a thin Mini-ITX version of the motherboard, here's how to do it.

buy this item [ https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32890360351.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6f1a4c4d3ue4L3 ] ,& then sell both its i3-8100, and its GTX 1030 Lp.

my math says the end result would be you getting this motherboard, for less than $100.
That's really cool! Would love to see what people could do with that board.

And looking around there are 9th gen versions meaning there would be BIOS versions that support current CPUs.

I guess the main limitation is the on board power - so 65W CPUs and 75W GPUs

But could still do some pretty neat little builds I reckon

Last edited:
Reactions: thewizzard1

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
if you're still trying to get a thin Mini-ITX version of the motherboard, here's how to do it.

buy this item [ https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32890360351.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6f1a4c4d3ue4L3 ] ,& then sell both its i3-8100, and its GTX 1030 Lp.

my math says the end result would be you getting this motherboard, for less than $100.

It's USD 410, the i3 8100 brand new is 130 , the GT 1030 LP is 85 so even if you manage to sell them at those prices you are still at 210 and these are not exactly hotcakes the chances of losing 50% on them is big so then it's above 300... not so fast, my friend.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I guess the main limitation is the on board power - so 65W CPUs and 75W GPUs

But could still do some pretty neat little builds I reckon

i've got it to work with a 240W AC adapter brick.

that might support a better CPU.

also, please note aliexpress' photos are wrong.

looking at its rear, GPU is on the left, & motherboard is on the right.

PCIe slot is angled left.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The PIO format interested me for a while but other than having less cables its appeal to me has dwindled. Like I would just be fine using a short riser cable if I don't mind what direction the GPU fan faces or a longer one to make it face the same direction as the GPU cooler.

But I do like the idea of other cases for low-profile GPUs with angled risers.

Reactions: Windfall

R3venger

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
Just found one B360 Motherbord with angeled connectors, so-dimm and a super small footprint

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Just found one B360 Motherbord with angeled connectors, so-dimm and a super small footprint

Just ordered one. Uses a weird non-standard cpu cooler mounting.

Reactions: R3venger

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
Necro post, anyone found any AMD PIO boards? Preferably with AM4 and 5000 support. Odd that it's only an Intel thing.

I need to make an ITX case with the motherboard in one cube and the GPU in another 😆. Then you can pick whatever size fits your graphics card. Maybe PSU can fit in another cube if the GPU is longer. Could work. Then you could easily pick your size GPU and PSU. External or internal PSU, up to you.

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
At least AMD "NUC" is a thing, still wish it had PIO slot, maybe occulink will be a standard, at least it's cheaper than Thunderbolt or GDC Beast. (Dual or Quad Occulink for full x16 would be an amazing pipe dream for NUC/MiniSTX)