News Lian Li PC-Q17WX - Crowdfunded case by ROG fans?

One that really stands out, despite the stiff competition however is the PC-Q17WX, which began life as a Kickstarter project from RoG fans and engineers. It’s a design that breaks down very easily and is a much loved piece of kit for system builders. While many manufacturers competed to make the design, Lian Li won out by delivering it within six months, over a year before other case makers were ready to produce it.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cases/jon-martindale/heres-all-of-lian-lis-computex-cases/

Anyone know any details of this? First I've ever heard of it.

Edit: More pics here

http://www.cowcotland.com/news/47915/computex-2015-pc-q17-lian-li-asus-rog-boitier-mini-itx.html

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/45636/make-yourself-complete-asus-rog-themed-custom-build/index.html

Last edited:

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
You missed the Q 10 :)
http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q10/

I have a q20 on my desk now. The q21 does give a bit more room, but boy, not much :)
The q17 has been modified a lot from any other chassis. It's similar to the q10 (and well...) but many changes. You can have a lot of drives OR a bigger GPU. Not a huge GPU, but bigger. An Asus ROG matrix gtx 980 ti platinum would be great. Would some one like to donate on to our video team LOL We can't find one, and then there is that NDA everyone keeps talking about.

As for the the q10. It has a nice window ;) Nice simple case though.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I like the Q10 for it's design and flexibility, although it's hard to ignore a lot of familiar design features when you know the Ncase M1.
While hefty at 19.2L, the added width does help with the obscenely tall GPUs and chunkier CPU coolers.

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015

Actually, I didn't miss it, as the URL for Q10 was still paswword-protected at the time of my previous post. (You can still see that on google cache.) Both Q21 and Q17 were as well a few days before my prev. post, that's why I said "public now".;)

You can have a lot of drives OR a bigger GPU.
OR is the operative word here, unfortunately.

By the way, I believe the max CPU cooler clearance being 140mm is way off for both Q17 and Q10 unless there is some gigantic invisible bump on the interior surface of the acrylic (or tempered glass?) side panel, it should be more like 158mm for Q10.

Last edited:

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
By the way, I believe the max CPU cooler clearance being 140mm is way off for both Q17 and Q10 unless there is some gigantic invisible bump on the interior surface of the acrylic (or tempered glass?) side panel, it should be more like 158mm for Q10.

I will go measure it now. ....

OK. We have the ThermalRight Silver Arrow ROG Certified cooler in the q17 now. We measured 152mm and its listed as 154mm.. It JUST fits. The q10 has plenty more roooom, whole mm even :) Just be careful of the clearance with the PSU.

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
Ah, Noctua. If only they made GPU coolers. And I hope their active silenced fans work, and soon :)

The q10; I bet there will be many "just" fits or "just didn't" fit moments with GPU. It will fit the full 270mm, but the usb is right there. I just know some 270mm cards will fit while others won't. If you like playing SFF Tetris, this will be a great case :)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
First I was worried that the Q10 could be the doom of the M1 but thinking about it the M1 allows a lot more flexibility, especially in terms of watercooling, while being ~40% smaller. And I guess the tempered glass window of the Q10 increases both weight and cost quite significantly. On the other hand, the Q10 allows very oversized GPUs to fit and some may prefer the look of the window.
So in the end, while being very similar, there are a lot of differences between the cases which are significant enough to have them not only differ in terms of design.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I agree, they cater towards two different target demographs. This does show how much space is wasted just for the these modifications.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
Wow, a DVD on top top of the case... Yawn, the SG05 looks better, is smaller & the ODD is on the front, a SG05-mATX would wow me, all the bloody mATX cases are 7 inches or taller or you can find a ATX that is under 7 tall, but bloody 17 wide... For the love of god, put the PSU above the MB, if you can't space manage a ATX, they have SFX PSUs that do 600w now...

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Edward, could you please stop diverting every single topic you post in into a rant about how nobody makes the case you want? Every post and comment you ever do is about your dream case not existing, we all know it by now. Even if we want to help you you don't answer our comments directly and just go further down the spiral of how all case manufacturers are dumdums and should finally make what you want them to. If you don't have anything to add to the conversation, please don't comment.

Reactions: Vittra and jtd871

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
Edward, could you please stop diverting every single topic you post in into a rant about how nobody makes the case you want? Every post and comment you ever do is about your dream case not existing, we all know it by now. Even if we want to help you you don't answer our comments directly and just go further down the spiral of how all case manufacturers are dumdums and should finally make what you want them to. If you don't have anything to add to the conversation, please don't comment.

Ok, sorry....

Reactions: iFreilicht