News Lian Li PC-Q17WX - Crowdfunded case by ROG fans?

One that really stands out, despite the stiff competition however is the PC-Q17WX, which began life as a Kickstarter project from RoG fans and engineers. It’s a design that breaks down very easily and is a much loved piece of kit for system builders. While many manufacturers competed to make the design, Lian Li won out by delivering it within six months, over a year before other case makers were ready to produce it.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cases/jon-martindale/heres-all-of-lian-lis-computex-cases/

Anyone know any details of this? First I've ever heard of it.

Edit: More pics here

http://www.cowcotland.com/news/47915/computex-2015-pc-q17-lian-li-asus-rog-boitier-mini-itx.html

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/45636/make-yourself-complete-asus-rog-themed-custom-build/index.html

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It reminds me of the Ncase M1 in many ways. But beaten ugly and removed flexibility for a window. It'll probably cost $300 and it will sell like hotcakes.

rawr

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2015
Yeah internal layout and looks are incredibly similar to the M1.
It looks ugly and bland, but hey, it's ROG, so people are gonna buy it!
...and is a much loved piece of kit for system builders.
What?! How? It's not even out yet!

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Does anyone know what Kickstarter the article is referring to?

EDIT: And why the heck would ASUS crowdfund something? They're literally one of the largest component manufacturers in the world :rolleyes: It's like when Pebble crowdfunded for the Time.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's just a hidden pre-order campaign and a way for management to cover behind a project they don't feel confident in succeeding.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
What kind of a Kickstarter can't be found when someone is expressly looking for it? I'm beginning to think that KitGuru misheard something when reporting on this :p

Maybe it will be a Kickstarter, and they was a POC or prototype?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Or they meant "we stole the design from someone who successfully used crowdfunding to design a good case and ruined its entire purpose of existance with the help of RoG enthusiasts, while the RoG engineers were busy eliminating all PWM-capable fan headers on Z170 boards".

That seems way more likely :D

Reactions: Spotswood

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
He's posted in the H thread about this case. There is a mention function: @WiSK

Reactions: WiSK

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
Hi. Hope you don't mind me posting this, but there was just too much speculation. As I have the case in my hand now I can tell you a bit about it, and its history.

It IS the Ncase M1, or was. It was a kickstarter, not by ROG as said here, but by [H]ardForum members. This redesigned is licensed from them. Then the ROG team and Lian Li designer worked together to make this mod. The main difference is the front, with a slight wedge and more options of what goes in there. You still get full sized GPU, CPU coolers (mostly) and ATX PSU (mostly). I say mostly as some ATX devices have exceeded the standards now. It will fit any that follow the standards. It is also be easier to fit 2x 120mm AIO radiators on the top because of the Micky Mouse ears.

You will have to wait to see my video of it, sorry. But, if you know a good reviewer, builder or YouTuber (with lots of viewers) let me know. I may be able to get them a sample.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It IS the Ncase M1, or was. It was a kickstarter, not by ROG as said here, but by [H]ardForum members. This redesigned is licensed from them.
You do know that the Ncase M1 designer is on this forum ? He already said that he didn't know about this case before it was mentioned on [H]ardForum about a month or two ago.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Necere's post is here:
Necere said:
Well, this is new to me. We had nothing to do with it, unlike what PCGamer implies, or the "Kickstarter project from ROG fans" (is there another one I'm not aware of?). There are some obvious similarities to the M1, of course, but no one ever consulted with us about it.

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
Wondering if ROG-certified Dan A4 SFX ripoff (50mm wider than the original, 400mm deep) will show up in the Lian Li booth at a future CES or Computex...

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
It IS the Ncase M1, or was. It was a kickstarter, not by ROG as said here, but by [H]ardForum members. This redesigned is licensed from them.
I'm afraid you're mistaken. It's fairly obviously inspired by the M1, but we have had no communication whatsoever with either ASUS or Lian Li regarding this case.