Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

Dragon7

Cable Smoosher
Aug 4, 2018
New cases looks great! The old ones, too! )
K888D, best wishes with expanding this business, your cases makes perfectionists happy )
All pics, parts and tricks will be at pcpartpicker in a week. It’s kinda hard to choose the coolest look.

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
K888D, best wishes with expanding this business, your cases makes perfectionists happy )
All pics, parts and tricks will be at pcpartpicker in a week. It’s kinda hard to choose the coolest look.

Thank you for the kind comments, I appreciate your support.

I really like the look of the all white case sat on your desk in the tower orientation, it matches your setup very well.

The 4th photo is not showing for me.

Dragon7

Cable Smoosher
Aug 4, 2018
K888D, you're right.
(This post is rewritten to be more useful for fellow modders. New info will be added).

The things I wish I knew.

1. Corsair SF600 PSU is overkill (8700+1080 max 250w), AND fanless mode is not working (unlike SF450). So SF450 is definitely better. Also, they recently made SF450/600 v2 and reworked the fans.

2. Noctua NH-L12s is way overkill for 8700.
Also, it will only fit if you'll cut USB3 cable plug (see below).
And throw away accessory screwdriver, it is covered with metallic film that easily peels and could short circuit something.

3. Then again, you could remove SF600 fan. Instead, very silent and efficient NH-L12s will cool SF600 together with case fan. CPU temps (or, rather, NH-L12s speed) will be 5C higher, though.

Last edited:

Bonk

Cable Smoosher
May 28, 2018
Beautiful build!

The white case in tower orientation: which fan grill/side combo is that? Looks amazing.

u

Reactions: Dragon7 and K888D

Dragon7

Cable Smoosher
Aug 4, 2018
Thanks, Bonk.
It's DEMCiflex white round 140mm dust filter.
Seen it in one of the LZ7 black builds. This community is really helpful )

So I'll try to be helpful, too, and start with some tuning experience (to be edited):
Motherboard: Asrock Fatality ITX, intel 8700 undervolted in BIOS -0.09v, VCCIO and VCCSA to 1.15, Gigabyte Aorus 1080 ITX.

While browsing (balanced Win10 profile): CPU stays under 3000 Mhz, total power use - under 40W, CPU&GPU temps - under 35C.
Browsing (CPU and PSU in passive mode) - all the same with temps under 45C.

What is the difference between CPU power profiles in Win10: 5% - idle CPU stays under 2000 MHz, consuming 15W. 100% - idle CPU stays at 4300 Mhz, consuming 20W.
Stress Testing: 4300 Mhz (6 cores), total consumption stays under 250W, CPU&GPU temps under 70C.

While 8700 is not for overclocking, it’s possible to upgrade its build-in overclock:
Turbo Boost (long OC) up from 65W, and Max TurboBoost (short ultraOC) up from 122W, its duration from 25 sec. up to 96 sec. Yes, 8700 base freq is 3200, so this will allow you to stay at build-in OC 4300/4600(1 core) longer and safer. This is done in Intel XTU utility.
In general, overclocking to 5000Mhz means something like +10% faster and +100% more power consumption, not really efficient.

Fan settings:
1. Case fan to 0% until CPU 50C - it will still rotate, but inaudibly.
2. CPU fan to 30% until CPU 50C - Noctua NH-L12s is so silent, you can't hear it until about 32%, so let it work instead of other fans.
3. GPU fan - Gigabyte ITX cards work fine by themselves, going to passive when they can.
4. PSU fan - if it's noisy, just remove it - Noctua NH-L12s heatsink will absord the heat from PSU body and cool it with silent CPU fan.

Last edited:

Dragon7

Cable Smoosher
Aug 4, 2018
If your build is (finally) really silent, you could start hearing strange very quiet whines.

Just disable CPU C-States in BIOS to stop them. C-States downvolt CPU at idle, but sometimes too awkwardly.
Win10 does the same job anyway, just without whining.

Also, if you disable C7 state only, bad "whine" will go, but you'll still be able to hear CPU "working".
It's kind of cute, like very quiet old IBM System 360.

Last edited:

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
@K888D for the long LZ7 posted a few times in this thread and on the LZ7 website here would it be possible to have the GPU flipped so it's at the front of the case with the front IO? If spacing is an issue maybe put the IO on the top panel? I ask because having the GPU be in the front would provide the best airflow for my particular use case and I would argue that for PC builds people usually want to see the GPU. In the current glamour shots online the GPU is facing the back so I feel like it won't be visible in a lot of setups and desk orientations.

Reactions: K888D and Dragon7

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
@K888D for the long LZ7 posted a few times in this thread and on the LZ7 website here would it be possible to have the GPU flipped so it's at the front of the case with the front IO? If spacing is an issue maybe put the IO on the top panel? I ask because having the GPU be in the front would provide the best airflow for my particular use case and I would argue that for PC builds people usually want to see the GPU. In the current glamour shots online the GPU is facing the back so I feel like it won't be visible in a lot of setups and desk orientations.

I know exactly what you mean, the GPU being the center point of the case aesthetics without sacrificing on cooling performance would be great.

Unfortunately having the GPU front facing in the LZ7 or LZ7 XTD would not be possible, these cases use the standard GPU slot into motherboard layout so the card will always run 90 degrees to the rear facing IO.

But, I have been tinkering with a tower case concept inspired by the recent RTX cards that puts the GPU front facing and the IO facing downward. It makes the case quite tall with the cables exiting underneath and the feet area needing enough room to hide the cables.

Excuse the floating shadow:

Noctua L9a-AM4 with updated fan or NH-L12s for a Ryzen 2700 build no overclock or anything crazy?

Personally I would go with the NH-L12S everytime. It has much more cooling capability and the 120mm fan is super quiet.

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
I’ve always liked the bottom exit possibilities. I know a lot of people around here are obsessive about volume, but for me, footprint is also a big deal. Something like what you posted would likely have a footprint smaller than the lz7, though it would obviously be taller.

Reactions: K888D and SashaLag

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Excuse the floating shadow:

Personally I would go with the NH-L12S everytime. It has much more cooling capability and the 120mm fan is super quiet.

Reminds me of an inverted FT-03 mini (which is basically a SG-05 with the front on the bottom). The DSE Vertex concept is organized along similar lines, too. That being said, this one would be all acrylic, right?

Reactions: 3dl1r

Bonk

Cable Smoosher
May 28, 2018
Unfortunately we cannot stock every colour, vent and IO combination for each panel as it would result in hundreds of different design combinations to try and stock, so we had to make the decision to choose what we thought would be the most popular combinations.

Is it possible to order a combination that is not stocked at Overclockers through the lazer3d website? I would of course be ready to accept a longer waiting time (got my case, just want to replace one panel if possible).

Kdrs0122

Caliper Novice
Aug 28, 2018
Has anyone tried using the other orientation for the noctua nh-u9s? I'm curious to see if 2 fans in a push/pull config will fit if this cooler is rotated 90° so that the fans are perpendicular (instead of parallel) to the front/back. I'm pretty sure the gpu and/or RAM might be in the way but I'd like to try to have the cooler push/pulling in the same direction as the intake then exhausted out the back. Thanks in advance for any help!

Reactions: Phuncz

chiliwili

Chassis Packer
Mar 3, 2018
I have been trying to order an LZ7 from Overclockers.co.uk since I am from the US and can not order directly from Lazer3D. However there is something wrong with the custom order page and it will not let me configure. When I try to custom configure an LZ7 for the front right corner column (16mm Vandal) I get the message "Will not work with the 'Right Panel (Fan)' because it's not compatible". I then go to the Right panel (16mm Vandal) to select it and get the same message "Will not work with the 'Front Right Corner Column' because it's not compatible". I am not able to change either to accept my choice. How do I order a custom case with the Vandal switch option?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I have been trying to order an LZ7 from Overclockers.co.uk since I am from the US and can not order directly from Lazer3D. However there is something wrong with the custom order page and it will not let me configure. When I try to custom configure an LZ7 for the front right corner column (16mm Vandal) I get the message "Will not work with the 'Right Panel (Fan)' because it's not compatible". I then go to the Right panel (16mm Vandal) to select it and get the same message "Will not work with the 'Front Right Corner Column' because it's not compatible". I am not able to change either to accept my choice. How do I order a custom case with the Vandal switch option?

I am sorry for the trouble you are experiencing. I think the reason for this may be because some of the vandal options are out of stock so you cannot select them.

Yesterday I made a delivery to Overclockers which will put everything back into stock, hopefully the website will update at some point today and you should then be able to select any of the options.

To configure a vandal power switch system you need to select the following 3 options:
  • Front Right Corner = Vandal option
  • Right Panel (Fan) = Vandal option
  • 16mm Vandal Switch
I hope that helps, if you have any further trouble once the stock levels update let me know.

Reactions: chiliwili

Bonk

Cable Smoosher
May 28, 2018
Added to the «how to choose vandal switch at overclockers», the following is from an answer they gave me when I had that problem:

“Thank you for your webnote.
Speaking to our product purchaser you should now be able to select the LZ7 Right Panel (16mm Vandal) - Midnight Black Open from Right Panel drop down, then you should be able to select your choice of front right I/O vandal switch, and once that has happened you can change the right fan panel too.
Sorry this is a slightly longer process. Unfortunately we had 8 people selecting incompatible options in one month alone, so they have tried to make it harder to sbe able to select incompatible options. It looks like it still could do with some work. Sorry for any inconvenience.”

Reactions: K888D and chiliwili