Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Also, Gigabyte 1080 ITX taken from external Aorus Gaming Box fits just fine.

That is a tight fit! Looking forward to seeing the build progress.

troybot

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2018
I have the Aorus 1080itx from a gaming box too - for me I had to use it with the side panel off because it would hit the side of the case. My solution in the end was to remove the fan and instead use a thermalright 140x13mm fan. I don't have time to take pictures now, but maybe on the weekend I can!

Reactions: K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I have the Aorus 1080itx from a gaming box too - for me I had to use it with the side panel off because it would hit the side of the case. My solution in the end was to remove the fan and instead use a thermalright 140x13mm fan. I don't have time to take pictures now, but maybe on the weekend I can!

Welcome to the forum!

Interesting, so the Aorus version must be quite a bit thicker than the standard Gigabyte ITX cards. What kind of performance and temps are you getting using the separate Thermalright fan?

Reactions: Biowarejak

troybot

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2018
Welcome to the forum!

Interesting, so the Aorus version must be quite a bit thicker than the standard Gigabyte ITX cards. What kind of performance and temps are you getting using the separate Thermalright fan?
Quite similar temps to be honest, but the noise is a bit better. In full load the GPU sits at 80 and CPU around 60 - but this is because I have it running reasonably quiet. Obviously it is dead silent at idle.

The advantage of this method is that I could fit the side panel on with a filter

Reactions: K888D

TunnelVision

Cable Smoosher
Apr 29, 2016
As Overclockers were showing a few parts for a complete LZ7 as out of stock, I was surprised (the good kind of surprise:)) when my order shipped the same day (yesterday) and arrived today. I'm really looking forward to assembling the case with components that should result in a major upgrade.

Reactions: Phuncz and K888D

troybot

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2018
here are some pictures with my 1080 and a 140mm touching it. they are from my phone so arent the best though.

i think the case is pretty amazing. the only criticism I have so far is that the gpu cutout ffor the open vaiety isnt circular like the other side, and the screws seem to strip easily - but that could be entirely my fault (most likely scenario!)

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
here are some pictures with my 1080 and a 140mm touching it. they are from my phone so arent the best though.

i think the case is pretty amazing. the only criticism I have so far is that the gpu cutout ffor the open vaiety isnt circular like the other side, and the screws seem to strip easily - but that could be entirely my fault (most likely scenario!)

Very nice, I take it your PC is used in a dusty environment?! Is that a dust filter on top of your CPU cooler?

That fan next to the GPU just fits, how are you finding the noise with that fan? I've tested that model and it was pretty loud compared to other models. But I think you mentioned it's actually less than 15mm thick?

Also great job with the cables, were these made by www.pslatecustoms.com ?

troybot

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2018
Just realised I broke the second picture; fixed it now.

We live next to a street and without air conditioning (in germany), so dust is a normal thing here. The cpu cooler having the cover is because wwhen I installed everthing into the case the other filters had not yet arrived, so I left it on (from my previous build). It doesn't bother me though.

It sounds like you didn't test the model of fan then. Search for thermalright 140mm and you will find the 13mm version. I bought it for the width and because reviews generally said it was not loud. Everything I read about the Prolimatech which I bought suggested it had noise issues (with bearings). So far so good though with this one. It is a PWM fan so it is easy to control with software. Unless you mean by default it is loud? Then yes, it is.

As for the cables, yes, he was kind enough to make the correct cable lengths because he had made a few before. I sent him a message when he was ready to make my order and he was very helpful.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Just realised I broke the second picture; fixed it now.

We live next to a street and without air conditioning (in germany), so dust is a normal thing here. The cpu cooler having the cover is because wwhen I installed everthing into the case the other filters had not yet arrived, so I left it on (from my previous build). It doesn't bother me though.

It sounds like you didn't test the model of fan then. Search for thermalright 140mm and you will find the 13mm version. I bought it for the width and because reviews generally said it was not loud. Everything I read about the Prolimatech which I bought suggested it had noise issues (with bearings). So far so good though with this one. It is a PWM fan so it is easy to control with software. Unless you mean by default it is loud? Then yes, it is.

As for the cables, yes, he was kind enough to make the correct cable lengths because he had made a few before. I sent him a message when he was ready to make my order and he was very helpful.

How strange, I've had the exact opposite experience lol. I've actually got that fan, it was the first 140mm slim fan I tested in the LZ7 prototypes and found it to be noisy unless you really lower the RPMs. I found that Prolimatech was able to output much more airflow for equivalent noise levels, but maybe I just have a bad fan so it was unfair comparison. I've heard good things about the Cryorig XT140, I might get that for my next build and compare it to these 2 other fans.

Reactions: Biowarejak

pslate

Caliper Novice
May 17, 2018

The finished build looks great! Glad I could help out!

Kdrs0122

Caliper Novice
Aug 28, 2018
Got the case this week and had a blast putting it together - amazing how everything fits together so perfectly! Has a question about the hard drive piece though - is the corners supposed to slot into the 2 corner pieces? On my case only 1 side fits in and the other doesn't really fit into the notch - see the pictures below:

Is that piece supposed to go into that notch? It doesn't seem to fit. The opposite corner piece fits both notch on the hard drive piece so i'm wondering if it's something off with the circled corner piece.

I had this same problem with my case. I just sanded the inside of the little bracket until the harddrive mount fit in both sides nice and snug.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Sorry for anyone who is affected by the tight fitting storage panels and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I think the problem is that acrylic sheet has a tolerance of +/- 10% so even a 3mm sheet can vary in thickness by 0.6mm.

I will look into the slot dimensions and how it stacks up with the panel thickness tolerance and adjust the design for the next batch onward.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Hi, just a quick update for anyone who has been waiting on an LZ7 from Overclockers UK:

Your orders should ship today as we made another delivery of stock yesterday (27th September) which will enter into their system today (Friday) and fulfill any outstanding orders.

I apologise for the delay with your orders and any frustration that has been caused by this.

---------------

An update on Lazer3D in general:

The LZ7 launched just over a year ago, it's been an exciting and difficult rollercoaster ride for which I am truly grateful to each and everyone one of you. Month on month the sales have been increasing to a point beyond what myself and Overclockers could have anticipated, particularly in the last couple of months where you may have noticed popular parts (black and grey components) have been out of stock for long periods of time.

Last month I made the tough (but exciting) decision to leave my day job so I can focus on Lazer3D full time. Up until now managing a full time job and Lazer3D production (in my evenings and weekends) with a young family has been extremely difficult and has taken its toll - a special thank you goes out to my partner for being so supportive, she has been amazing!

What this means for Lazer3D is increased production capacity, better stock management and more time for developing new products. I am also looking forward to getting some of my spare time back to spend with the wife and kids, and maybe some more sleep :)

In early October I am moving the business into a dedicated workshop with more space, this will also help to increase efficiency as a lack of space to store materials and work in general has been a massive problem over the last couple of months. It also means my house can return back to normal, again a massive thank you to my wife for putting up with a house full of Lazer3D stuff.

Hopefully over the next few months you should start to see things moving along quicker with more updates and more presence on this forum and social media channels. We also have 2 new upcoming cases to be launched before the end of the year (HT5 and CG7), along with more customisation options for the LZ7 (XTD panels being the next on the list), as well as a few other things I have been working on in the background that I'm excited about.

This morning I'm expecting a visit from @Legion with an RTX 2080 in hand, hopefully we can get some nice glamour shots of it in a case and maybe do some quick benchmarks too.

Thank you for reading and the continued support!

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
what you did really deserves your financial success!

Now we're missing just a tower model,with CPU and GPU sandwitched and your aestethic touch...
and your line will be able to cover a lot of different needs :)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Excellent news, I wish you the best of luck and I sincerely think you deserve it to make Lazer3D into a success story ! After witnessing first-hand the complete package the LZ7 first edition was and seeing @confusis having the same experience with the HT5, I am glad you are part of this community and I will hopefully be able to buy many more of your products !

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
LZ7 TOP PANEL UPDATE

A minor change is being introduced to the "Top Panel" PSU Vent design, a small cross bar will be added to the vent as seen in the screenshot below. This change will be introduced immediately into production, although it may take a few months for existing stock at Overclockers to filter out:

The reason for this change is purely due to manufacturing difficulties. The original vent pattern featured long slots which when being cut quite often pivot upwards out the panel during cutting, this can actually cause the laser head to bump into them dragging the entire sheet out of place resulting in a whole sheet of unusable parts. This was happening maybe every other sheet causing nearly 50% wastage for this type of panel.

The new cross bar reduces the length of the slots, which will reduce the chances of the slots bumping into the cutting head.