Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Quick update, wood front panels will be available to order soon. I'm delivering stock to Overclockers UK tomorrow but I'm not sure how long it will take them to update the product page/configurator.

Materials on offer will be Oak (shown on the left), Cherry (shown on right) and Walnut (shown top and bottom). These panels are precision laser cut from solid wood which has been sanded and varnished for a high quality matt finish.

*please ignore top right panel in photo (Alder Wood), this will not be available.

As these are made from real wood each panel is completely unique, differing in texture, wood graining and colour shade. As you can see in the photo above the 2 Walnut panels on show look quite different with some colour shade banding. The Oak and Cherry have less variation in colour shade, but do vary in texture and wood graining from panel to panel.

I've had a busy few weeks and I apologise for the lack of example photos of these panels built into cases, but hopefully I'll have some to show you soon. I'm also hoping to update the configurator on the website to include these wood types so you can see exactly how they look when combined with all the other colour and design options.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Solid oak <3

Would you rate these panels as more solid than the acrylic ones, or the other way around?

Reactions: Biowarejak

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Solid oak <3

Would you rate these panels as more solid than the acrylic ones, or the other way around?

It might sound like a cop out, but they both feel similarly solid.

Acrylic is a very hard material, whereas the wood is slightly softer and will be better at absorbing impact/shock than Acrylic, but they both feel solid and have a similar amount of flex, which at 5mm thickness is not much unless you really put allot of force into bending the panel, the Acrylic will break first (I think).

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Quick googling indicates acrylic has a yield stress of ~6 to 12 ksi, whereas wood is probably in the neighborhood of 2 ksi (aligned parallel to the grain). So for equal thicknesses, I would guess the acrylic has better "structural" strength, especially as it likely more anisotropic (strength likely does not vary greatly with orientation). The elastic modulus of acrylic is reported as ~250 to 500ksi, whereas wood is ~1500ksi.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Here it is guys, the wood you probably haven’t been waiting for!

I am pleased to announce that wooden front panels for the LZ7 are available to order from today at Overclockers UK. The panels can be selected in the configuration options when purchasing a full case or available to order on their own if you already have a case.

These panels are precision cut from solid wood that has been sanded and varnished for a high quality matt finish. Due to the nature of being made from real wood no two panels are the same, each with its own unique texture, wood graining and colour tone characteristics.

OAK
A mid to light wood with a rustic look, full of detail, contrasting textures and some darker tones running along the grains. Oak is a popular material used for furniture and flooring due its ability to compliment many different room styles and colours. This material has a mixture of straight and curved graining, you should also expect some variation of colour shade and texture between panels.

WALNUT
A luxurious dark and rich wood mixed with bands of light and warm tones for a stunningly finished panel that compliments an all black case very nicely. Walnut varies greatly from panel to panel, please check the comparison photos for examples of this before purchasing. Some panels contain more of the lighter bands of colour than others, some have multiple bands, others may have none, but what you do get is a truly unique and beautiful one of kind panel.

CHERRY
A warm toned wood with sharp and detailed yet fairly consistent graining for an attractive contemporary look, a great choice for fusing together modern technology with subtle natural styling. Cherry wood is fairly consistent in colour and tone from panel to panel with only a slight variation in the wood grain pattern.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Thanks for the nice comments guys!

Any chance you can show a white case with an Oak panel?

I will try and get some photos of this for you but it probably won't be for a few weeks if I'm being honest as I don't have any white cases built up and I've got a huge list of tasks to get through + Christmas and family stuff!

But first thing on my task list is to actually update the configurator on the Lazer3D website with the wood options, so you will be able to see a rendered representation of what the wood will look like with all the various colour and design options. Hoping to get that done this week.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
If anyone is interested in buying an LZ7, Overclockers UK have just announced they are doing a £20 discount promotion from now until the end of year.
Of course since I finally went for it a week ago!

Anyway, new build:

i7-7700K on AsRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac (OC 5GHz), NH-L12S, MSI GTX1070 1x16GB RAM for now, usual SF450, storage is 512GB SATA SSD + 1TB HDD I had laying around. 4.3Kg and screaming fast while silent at light/moderate loads, love it.
Will serve as LAN PC and as backup in case of issues with my main machine. Plan is to put the 1070 in my main machine in normal times (replacing the 970 it had) and use the SFF with the integrated graphics for basic stuff / "server" use when needed, and move the GPU over when going to LANs.
Also will be used as a Hackintosh for Final Cut Pro use (runs well enough with integrated graphics, saves the pain of getting the GTX to work).
I might design/3D print a 3.5" HDD carrier that bolts onto the side panel for use when no graphics card is installed.

Case fan is the cryorig which the only thing I don't like in the build (noisy bearings, unpleasant blade noise) but it seemed like the best choice that was in stock as the well renowned Prolimatech is apparently unobtainium at the moment.

Slight disappointment, one of the 4 corner pieces (graphics card power cable side) is "washed out" and not the same red as the other 3.

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
@Kilrah thanks for the feedback and build photos. Shame to hear about the Cryorig XT140 fan bearing noise, I've not tested that fan personally yet so I can't comment on how it would compare to the Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex, but if silence is your priority then I think the new Noctua 120x15 slim fans are the best choice.

Regarding the corner piece being a different colour, it shouldn't be like that. Please send me a PM with some details on which corner piece it is and I can get a replacement sorted out for you.

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
Thanks for your offer.
The different part is the "front left" corner as per OCUK listing.

Bit hard to show through a photo, but it should be visible that it's "whiter" than the front right part on here, like there wasn't enough red mixed in:

With 2 correctly matching ones for reference:

I'm not too fussy about silence (have no problem about the L12S's fan running full speed when it needs), it's just the "type of noise" on the cryorig that for some reason is unpleasant. Kinda sounds like a buzz at anything but lowest speed. It also needs DC control, with PWM it has too high a minimum speed, anything below 40% or so does not slow it down further.
Might replace it at some point, thanks for the Noctua advice.