Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
I have noticed a bunch of reviews on just about all intel processors pointing to TDP as the measurement of power consumption.
This is inherently wrong, TDP (thermal design power) refers to the heat dissipation from the processor, not power use.
To measure power consumption, you can use "Intel Power Gadget", software written by a development team at Intel for windows, mac and surprisingly linux. The software was written specifically to measure real time power consumption on supported intel CPUs.
Using Intel Power Gadget, I measured the idle power consumption at just 14 Watts, and under full load during a Handbrake transcoding it reached a peak of 111 Watts of power consumption.

Got that from another forum, I had heard the same thing about the 8700, you can't use the 65W as an actual measurement of how much power the CPU will use.

I'm an electrical technician, I know what it is.
For more reason I'm atonished.
I have a 65W Ryzen 1700 with a low profile cooler, 60°C maximum stressing all cores!

Reactions: Biowarejak

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
TDP is related to thermals and not power consumption, but it should give you a good indication of the kind of ballpark your looking at. Power consumption is instantaneous and spiky, whereas heat transfer takes time and so those spikes flatten to an average.

All electrical energy consumed by the CPU is transferred into heat, so a CPU consuming an average 50w of electrical power will be outputting a steady 50w of thermal energy/heat. Where things start getting complicated is how Intel and AMD calculate their TDP differently and the addition of boost clocks into the equation.

I believe Intel calculate their TDP as a worse case average for the CPU at base clock frequencies, this allows the CPU to consume more power in short bursts and still maintain an average consumption at or below its TDP. Certain stress tasks like Prime95 can push the CPU into this higher consumption mode for unrealistic prolonged periods of time, therefore pushing power consumption and the heat output above its rated TDP.

To make things even more complicated there is also boost clocks to consider, which I believe are outside of the TDP calculation, they are a performance bonus/auto overclock so to speak that are targeted if your system has the additional thermal and power headroom.

This is why I think there is such a massive difference between base clocks and boost clocks on the latest generation of Intel CPU's. Adding an extra 2 cores to their i7 lineup increases power consumption and heat output by 50% if you kept the same clock frequencies.

To counter this and remain within their 65w TDP rating Intel have reduced their base clock from 3.6 GHz for the i7-7700 down to 3.2 GHz for their i7-8700, as you may know a small drop in core frequency can lead to a large drop in power consumption, and vice versa when increasing clock speeds. Now taking a look at the Boost speeds they have increased from 4.2 GHz on the i7-7700 up to 4.6 Ghz on the i7-8700, which again may help to explain why there is such a big jump in temps. Not only have they increased cores by 50% they have also increased boost speeds which the system will always be trying to reach so long as you’re not hitting the thermal or power limits.

The problem is, the thermal limit for Intel CPU's is 100C which is much higher than most people are prepared to run them at, full boost speeds will continue until 100C is reached at which point the CPU will start backing off to maintain 100C.

What this means is that in systems with adequate cooling (which is most) your CPU will always be running at full boost speed and therefore above its rated TDP and power consumption. Which explains why the i7-8700 runs so hot compared to the previous gen chips even though it has the same 65W TDP rating.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
@jmillar771 in case you can't find or have thrown away the small leaflet that comes with the Vandal Power Switch:

TheDreamingMonk

Average Stuffer
Sep 17, 2016
So about those wood panels... Any chance on getting a Bamboo set of them?

Been thinking about investing into a new case for my coffee lake upgrade. Thinking about retiring one of my M1's and a bamboo case would look nice with some of my other items.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
So about those wood panels... Any chance on getting a Bamboo set of them?

Been thinking about investing into a new case for my coffee lake upgrade. Thinking about retiring one of my M1's and a bamboo case would look nice with some of my other items.

There are no plans for Bamboo sorry, but stay tuned for other types of wood!

@K888D are there any plans in the near future to test this with CoffeLakes cpus?
Or maybe another reviewer/owner ?

You may be in luck very soon ;)

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Here are some photos of a 120mm AIO water cooler (Corsair H60 with Noctua 120x25mm fan) mounted to the Top XL-Vent panel when using a DC-DC power supply:

Side view, you can sort of see the clearance you have to work with when using the HDPLEX 400w HiFi DC-ATX:

Side Panel removed to show the height clearance, excuse the messy wiring!

And the top panel removed:

dcaparros

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
Here are some photos of a 120mm AIO water cooler (Corsair H60 with Noctua 120x25mm fan) mounted to the Top XL-Vent panel when using a DC-DC power supply:

Side view, you can sort of see the clearance you have to work with when using the HDPLEX 400w HiFi DC-ATX:

Side Panel removed to show the height clearance, excuse the messy wiring!

And the top panel removed:

having tested both aircooler and water AIO, what to do you think it's better in your opinion?

I would like to see if it's possible to do a open loop in your case...

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
having tested both aircooler and water AIO, what to do you think it's better in your opinion?

I'd say with a fractal kelvin or similar it'd be a cake walk. I'd say the bequiet one would be best just purely based on where the ports are on the block. You could probably even manage with a ddc if you went with a gunique instead of an hdplex. And mounted the ddc/res where the hdplex is here

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com

I've only tested the Corsair H60 AIO (fitted with a Noctua 120x25mm fan) so my data is limited, but.....

The Noctua NH-U9S air cooler gave lower temps and lower noise. It is by far my favourite cooler in the LZ7, especially when combined with a rear 92mm exhaust fan, so satisfying. The lower system temps and equalised pressure from the exhaust fan also helps the GPU run cooler.

The AIO cooler works well, but is a bit more of tight fit, also it's not fully silent when idle is the main negative for me.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
@K888D I was wondering if you still recommend on 65w cpus if using the HDPlex panels or would it be okay to go a little higher to like 95w?
The 65w TDP recommendation when using an SFX PSU was based on building a system that can game quietly. You can of course put a 95w TDP part into the standard LZ7, but the extra heat is probably a little beyond what an NH-L12(s) or Big Shuriken can cool quietly when stressed.

If you configure the LZ7 to take advantage of tower coolers or 120mm AIO's with a HDPLEX power supply, then cooling potential is much increased. Cooling a 95w TDP CPU with something like the NH-U9S should be no problem at all. The limitation with a HDPLEX setup is ensuring your components are within the capabilities of the HDPLEX and external power brick.

dcaparros

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
There are some videos which should be out shortly, I think they've had some delays in putting them together, which isn't such a bad thing because I've had some delays myself in preparing some new stuff coming up for the case!
The videos that are coming out are from youtubers or your own?