Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Mar 16, 2017
J'ai acquis 2 boîtiers de ce modèle pour mes fils avec des couleurs personnalisées. Voici les composants avant allumage :

Boîtier Lazer3D avec un panneau en bois
Processeur i7-8700K en version stock
Carte mère ASUS STRIX Z370-I Gaming
Mémoire 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4-4000
SSD 960 PRO NVMe SSD, PCIe 3.0 M.2 Typ 2280 - 2 TB
SSD 850 PRO Series SSD, SATA 6G - 2 TB
Carte graphique Gigabyte GTX 1080 Mini
Alimentation Corsair SF600 80 Plus Gold SFX
Ventilateur boîtier Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 140 mm
Dissipateur CPU Prolimatech Samuel 17 équipé d'un ventilateur NOCTUA NF-A12x15 PWM
Câbles sur mesure fournis par CableMod
Pâte conductrice Thermal Grizzly
Ecran ASUS PG27VQ ROG Swift G-Sync 165Hz

IDLE : 26°
WITCHER 3 options graphiques au maximum : 59°
PRIME 95 après 27 minutes : 112°, processeur = "kaputt"

Finalement, et suite à cet allumage de feu, j'ai tout mis à la poubelle et leur ai offert un simple MacBook Pro.

Conclusion: évitez de mettre un processeur de type k dans ce boîtier et vous aurez une configuration adaptée avec en prime un boîtier unique et follement attractif.
Bienvenu sur le site! Nice build!

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
J'ai acquis 2 boîtiers de ce modèle pour mes fils avec des couleurs personnalisées. Voici les composants avant allumage :

Dissipateur CPU Prolimatech Samuel 17 équipé d'un ventilateur NOCTUA NF-A12x15 PWM

Finalement, et suite à cet allumage de feu, j'ai tout mis à la poubelle et leur ai offert un simple MacBook Pro.

Conclusion: évitez de mettre un processeur de type k dans ce boîtier et vous aurez une configuration adaptée avec en prime un boîtier unique et follement attractif.

Google translate of the post:

"
I bought 2 cases of this model for my sons with custom colors. Here are the components before ignition:

Lazer3D case with a wooden panel
I7-8700K processor in stock version
ASUS STRIX Z370-I Gaming Motherboard
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4-4000
SSD 850 PRO SSD Series, SATA 6G - 2 TB
Gigabyte GTX 1080 Mini Graphics Card
Corsair SF600 80 Plus Gold SFX Power Supply
Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex Ventilator 140 mm
Prolimatech Samuel 17 CPU heatsink with NOCTUA NF-A12x15 PWM fan
Custom cables supplied by CableMod
Thermal Grizzly Conductive Paste
ASUS PG27VQ ROG Screen Swift G-Sync 165Hz

IDLE: 26 °
WITCHER 3 graphic options up to 59 °
PRIME 95 after 27 minutes: 112 °, processor = "kaputt"

Finally, and after this fire ignition, I put everything in the trash and offered them a simple MacBook Pro.

Conclusion: avoid putting a k-type processor in this case and you will have a suitable configuration with a unique and exceptionally attractive case.
"

Thanks posting your builds, do you have any photos of the built up systems?

Regarding the 8700k, those temps are pretty high, it would seem that the Samuel 17 is not a good choice for this level of CPU.

In comparison @Tek Everything with a similar specced system (8700k + GTX 1080) but with Noctua NH-L12S CPU cooler instead saw Prime95 temps of 86C which is a fair bit lower than the 112C you are seeing with the Samuel 17.

Post with results for reference:

-- COOLING UPDATE --

I was curious what the case could do with a better cooler. So I picked up an 8700K and Noctua NH-L12S....

Current System:

i7-8700K
Asus Z370-I motherboard
256GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 (boot)
256GB Intel 600P M.2 (scratch disk)
2x Samsung 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (games/media)
Gigabyte GTX 1080 Mini
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (3000MHz)
Corsair SF 450 PSU
Cryorig slim 140mm case fan

I am using the stock cables for the PSU, and have the 2.5" hard drive bracket installed. This is almost a worst case scenario for airflow in the LZ7.

Note: I am using the new fully vented top panel and side panel without IO*

CPU at Stock - avg temps
IDLE: 32C
GAMING: 63C
PRIME 95: 81C

4.8GHz Overclock - avg temps
IDLE: 35C
GAMING: 69C
PRIME 95: 86C

5GHz Overclock!!!! - avg temps
IDLE: 39C
GAMING: 72C
PRIME 95: 96C

I was shocked by how well this cooler was able to handle such a power hungry CPU. The fact that you can keep the chip under TJ Max at 5GHz is really impressive. As the thermal paste sets, I anticipate even better temps.

Reactions: cmyk78 and Phuncz

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

You dare a french invasion?..:D
nice build

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Here is a very nice build with some custom cables and high quality photos:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/dKKBD3

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
@K888DReally, you already reached 1054 LZ7 sold???
I'd rather think he started at 1000, pretty common practice ;)

Yep these cables are really cool. I comtemplated shortening mine for a short while but then decidedt hat since I had SATA cables that would be too long anyway it wasn't worth bothering.

Anyway the most annoying of ALL the cables is the USB3 front panel cable, way too long and super rigid :p

Reactions: K888D

Jotunn

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
This makes me think back to some of the first fanless CPU coolers way back when, that were towers of fins intended to be cooled by an early 120mm fan power supply. Kudos for taking this concept a step further, this definitely has my interest.

Reactions: K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com

jkiejr

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2018
question about the case configuration on overclockers, does it come with feet or do i have to add them in. and im in the US, so the 194 pounds is going to be like 275 us?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
question about the case configuration on overclockers, does it come with feet or do i have to add them in. and im in the US, so the 194 pounds is going to be like 275 us?
There should be an option in the configurator to choose which style of feet you want. The price on Overclockers UK includes 20% UK VAT, if you live outside the EU the VAT is deducted at the checkout stage.

jkiejr

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2018
so all the feet are metal with rubber bottoms, i might have read your first post wrong but no just rubber option. i have it selected for the US NY and it lists 194.19 but in pounds. so that means when i pay i have to convert the pounds to us dollars right.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
so all the feet are metal with rubber bottoms, i might have read your first post wrong but no just rubber option. i have it selected for the US NY and it lists 194.19 but in pounds. so that means when i pay i have to convert the pounds to us dollars right.

There are "HiFi" style feet available to choose from, they are metal effect but not actual metal with padded bases. I supplied Overclockers Uk with a load of rubber self adhesive feet that they should be including a set of 4 with each case, hopefully that is happening.

The £194.19 is shown UK currency, the price in your basket should include the US shipping.

jkiejr

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2018
i maybe not wording this right, i understand that shipping is included but if i put this on my credit card am i going to see a charge of 194.19 or a conversion to us dollars.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
So today I tried installing the NH-L12S I've had sitting on my desk for a while. But in combination with my Sharkoon SFX-L 500W PSU, I can't make it fit. To have the PSU holes line up, I need to seriously excert force on the PSU to push the heatsink down. But the PSU is a no-go nonetheless, as it doesn't have the 6 screw holes but only 3 (2 on the corners, 1 in the center at the opposite side).

So is there a lighter AC-DC and DC-DC solution I could use internally ? The HDPlex 160W DC-ATX and 160W AC-DC seem like a good fit for my build which doesn't have a dedicated GPU. If I'm correct, my "First Edition" case needs the following:

Rear panel: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/laze...anel-pcie-cover-midnight-black-ca-034-lz.html
Mount panel: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/laze...lex-dc-dc-mount-midnight-black-ca-03d-lz.html

Do I also need new corner pieces or any other parts ?

I'm also confused about the material, it seems Midnight Black is the matte black opaque acrylic, while Grey Tint seems to be the dark translucent panels my "First Edition" has both of these. But both these panels are the opaque ones it seems. Is it possible to acquire the rear panel in the dark translucent version ?

Reactions: dcaparros

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
So today I tried installing the NH-L12S I've had sitting on my desk for a while. But in combination with my Sharkoon SFX-L 500W PSU, I can't make it fit. To have the PSU holes line up, I need to seriously excert force on the PSU to push the heatsink down. But the PSU is a no-go nonetheless, as it doesn't have the 6 screw holes but only 3 (2 on the corners, 1 in the center at the opposite side).

I'm sorry to hear that, what Motherboard Socket are you using? With Intel 1151 there is exactly 70mm of CPU clearance to the underside of the SFX PSU, meaning the NH-L12S fits perfectly. I have not however tested it with an AMD system and so there could be a chance that the FM2 or AM4 sockets sits a couple of mm higher, effectively reducing the CPU clearance. But I'm not sure!

So is there a lighter AC-DC and DC-DC solution I could use internally ? The HDPlex 160W DC-ATX and 160W AC-DC seem like a good fit for my build which doesn't have a dedicated GPU.

There are a couple of different options that can be configured to fit an internal DC-DC board and internal AC-DC converter, I'm sorry that this information is not more readily available. I will try and explain some options below.

Yes those are the right panels to get, the DC-DC mount can fit a range of different things, including the HDPLEX DC-ATX boards, HDPLEX AC-DC converters, generic DC-DC boards and also a single 2.5" HDD at the same time.

The DC-DC rear panel replaces the SFX bracket with a 92mm fan mount and a C14 cutout and adapter plates for attaching a variety of different DC jack designs. the rear panels also includes mounting standoffs for fitting a HDPLEX DC-ATX board to the rear (instead of 92mm fan).

So in theory using both of these DC-DC panels you can mount a DC-ATX to the rear panel and an AC-DC converter to the HDD mount panel, but this layout is highly dependant on what CPU cooler you use as it actually reduces CPU height clearance compared to an SFX PSU unless your cooler lines up just right in between the two.

Another option would be to also get the XL-Vent Top Panel which provides more mounting points on the top panel for extra case fans or other accessories, so you could actually mount both the HDPLEX DC-ATX and AC-DC converter to the top panel through the slots with some M3 screws and Nuts.

Putting all this together you have a bunch of different options, here are 2 possible configurations with CPU clearances listed:

For reference, the HDPLEX DC-ATX can be mounted to the DC-DC Rear Panel or DC-DC + HDD Panel. But the HDPLEX AC-DC converter can only be mounted to the DC-DC + HDD Panel.

Do I also need new corner pieces or any other parts ?

The First Edition LZ7's used 3mm thick Acrylic for the rear panel, but for the production model this was increased to 5mm Acrylic to increase rigidity for mounting heavy power supplies. The shape is still the same, but the thickness is different, so you will see a small overhang of 2mm if you mount a production rear panel to a First Edition case.

I'm also confused about the material, it seems Midnight Black is the matte black opaque acrylic, while Grey Tint seems to be the dark translucent panels my "First Edition" has both of these. But both these panels are the opaque ones it seems. Is it possible to acquire the rear panel in the dark translucent version ?

The First Edition case used translucent Smoked Grey Gloss panels for all 3mm thick panels which included the rear to keep it simple. The production version uses Opaque matte panels, unless you specifically select a translucent panel, but these are only available as options for the side panels and not the rear panel.

However, please DM if you would like a new custom panel making from 3mm thick translucent smoked grey, I think I have some in stock.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Thanks for the very comprehensive information !

I am using an Intel G3258 in the case with an ASRock Z87E-ITX board, so "Socket 115x". I'm guessing it's manufacturing tolerances for the heatsink, it might also be the PSU that's slightly out of spec. The heatsink has the pipes oriented at the right side, where the power button is located.

The heatsink sits right up to the edge where the PSU cutout is.

On the bottom right, you can see the difference in screw hole allignment. Now, this PSU also has no holes on the left side at the top and bottom corners, so it's useless anyways. But the top panel also can't close.

I'm looking at a Direct-Plug DC-ATX 160W with a AC-DC 160W, at the moment looking at the Dynamo Mini 160W (based on HDPlex DC-ATX 160W) and a 160W AC-DC (probably HDPlex 160W AC-DC). I'll contact you on the panels as soon as I get confirmation I can get these parts in time (before the 23rd).

For now this will be a CPU-only build and it might become an APU gaming PC at some time, which should remain well inside the 160W power budget.