Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
There will not be any significant changes other than a few minor tweaks to help with assembly. I am waiting for everyone to receive their cases and collate the feedback, a few people have said that the screws can be a bit tight to screw in, so I will look to improve this for the next run.
Would the two glossy sidepanels (and perhaps rear panel) be possible to supply in matte colors too ? If the changes are minimal enough that they would fit the First Edition, I'd like to make it all-matte :)

Reactions: cmyk78

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
Would the two glossy sidepanels (and perhaps rear panel) be possible to supply in matte colors too ? If the changes are minimal enough that they would fit the First Edition, I'd like to make it all-matte :)
I totally agree with you Phuncz having an all matte LZ7 would be great, maybe it would be a good idea to sell colored panel kits for people who have the LZ7 and want to swap colors.

Reactions: K888D and Phuncz

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
@K888D does removing the hard drive panel reduce the strength of the case?

It won't make any real difference to the case strength, but the top panel does use it as a support to rest on, so it may dip at the front if you press down on it.

I totally agree with you Phuncz having an all matte LZ7 would be great, maybe it would be a good idea to sell colored panel kits for people who have the LZ7 and want to swap colors.

OK interesting indeed, yes this is certainly possible. Personally I like the mix of textures and slight transparency of the side panels, but I totally see where your both coming from.

What do the rest of you guys think?

I will have a think about how I could make this work.

I can certainly make extra kits available, I'm just not sure if it will be very economical once you factor in international shipping rates. The cost per panel will range something like between £10 and £15 depending on complexity, thickness and surface finish. For example the matte panels cost more than transparent (smooth finish) panels.

I also wanted to look into those veneer wooden addon panels, I'm just not sure what would be an acceptable method for sticking them onto the Acrylic panels. They would need to be stuck down across the entire surface, as the samples I have had made have started warping after a few months of different environmental conditions, so I don't think they would stay flat if they werent stuck down completely.

Reactions: cmyk78

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I don't want to impute sth. to K888D but if you place a product on market it is not enough to only create a product. You have to fulfill many laws this is the reason why the A4 tooks so much longer. Here are some steps I had to do:

Basic
- Developing a product
- Coordinate developing with the community
- Coordinate developing and production with manufacturer (1000+ Mails)
- Testing different product samples
- Creating professional product pictures
- Creating a quality control guide for manufacturer
- Creating a Website
- Creating a Carton
- Creating a Product label
- Coordinate product reviews
- Creating a Crowdfunding Page and Video
- Planing the shipment of 1600+ cases with container ship and German customs
- Developing a shipment software

Things you need to do from legal side in the EU:
- funding a company
- CE certification
- WEEE registration (electronic waste)
- Package waste registration
- Creating a manual
- fulfill all laws that have to do with export and customs

Other
- Writing 1000 of mails and post in my threads with customers
- Hundreds of hours research for all these steps

To be fair, we're talking about two orders of magnitude higher scale here. The first LZ7 run was something like 20-30 cases, and it's assembled by the user, so packaging the I/O panel (which is already a WEEE registered product) separately circumvents the need to jump though waste regulatory hoops and the low number of units means it can be hand packaged. And the construction of the case allows for very quick and relatively cheap prototyping.

Really, the approach here is very different. You are trying to build a self-sustaining business from the get-go, you already have distribution partnerships with the biggest supplier of PC parts in the EU and thousands of interested customers.

The Lazer3D brand to me looks more like it will rely on natural growth and word of mouth, and I think either approach is equally valid.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Besides maybe a tight squeeze on some PSU cables, would a SFX-L fit in this?

I don't think I would recommend using an SFX-L power supply over a standard SFX unit, but @hogehige fitted one into his build (quoted below), he said you have to remove the front HDD bracket in order for it to fit.

Therefore you can't use 2.5" drives when you fit an SFX-L PSU, I guess it depends on whether you can make do with M.2 drives only.

Great case!

Mango

Trash Compacter
Apr 10, 2016
I'm almost done my build (build log WIP) but I've run into a minor blocking issue with the drive panel and the size of SATA power connectors coming off the SF450. Because the drives are screwed in flush to the drive panel, it's impossible to connect the SATA power connectors to the drives because there's no room for the bulky wires coming out of the connector housing. Perhaps for the next production run, keep the lower set of screw holes and cut out a rectangular strip right above where the SATA data & power connectors would be to allow space for the power connectors.

The solution I'm going to try is to use a SATA power Y-splitter with connector ends that are flat.

On a different note, I was not prepared for cable management challenge of such a small case! It makes cable management in my Bitfenix Prodigy look like easy mode.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Small cases like these don't have many cable management options, often times it's better to plan and test the cable runs to minimize cables obstructing the fans. Ideally you want custom length cables but that isn't for the faint of heart, even in this niche forum.

Reactions: K888D

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
It won't make any real difference to the case strength, but the top panel does use it as a support to rest on, so it may dip at the front if you press down on it.

OK interesting indeed, yes this is certainly possible. Personally I like the mix of textures and slight transparency of the side panels, but I totally see where your both coming from.

What do the rest of you guys think?

I will have a think about how I could make this work.
Definitely would prefer all matte and so would my friend.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Small cases like these don't have many cable management options, often times it's better to plan and test the cable runs to minimize cables obstructing the fans. Ideally you want custom length cables but that isn't for the faint of heart, even in this niche forum.

Snip, tape, snip, heat shrink, snip, hot glue (black), snip, cable extensions, snip, cable ties, cut, rip, tear, grind, snip... if only Silverstone could see what I have done to there ST30SF and ML06B-E!

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Couldn't one drill four holes into the HDD mounting panel to fit one 2.5" drive horizontally? Or would that still interfere with the PSU?
There is more than enough room to physically fit the SFX-L unit itself, but its the reduced cable routing space that makes it difficult to assemble afterwards.

Your suggestion about a horizontal drive is an excellent idea, yes there is enough height to clear the PSU when the drive is lay horizontal.

I will add 4 extra mounting holes for the next production run at the bottom of the HDD panel for mounting a drive horizontally.

Last edited:

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
Has anyone found a good carrying case/camera bag for this case? I would like to have a better fit than just jamming it in whatever I happen to have at the time XD

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Sorry i was a bit (far..:)) too much busy these last months...but I'm really glad to notice success of this first batch of lz7 cases...:) 2017 sounds like promising with others lz cases release...:)

Gg @K888D ..:)

Ps : i liked the vertical stand of one of the early adopters..:)

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Has anyone found a good carrying case/camera bag for this case? I would like to have a better fit than just jamming it in whatever I happen to have at the time XD

I did some transportation tests using an STM Velo 2 shoulder bag, I got it from Amazon for about £30, but it doesn't appear to be currently available:

With the cover zipped up:​