Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

Mango

Trash Compacter
Apr 10, 2016
Got my case today! Waiting on Boxing Day sales to pick up the CPU, motherboard, and PSU. Gonna try to get a build log up before the new year if all goes well.

Reactions: Phuncz and K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Doesnt the case take in a lot of dust when the fan holes are so open?
There is the option to attach dust filters on both sides of the case if dust build up is a concern:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Apparently a few people have had their presents early ! Enjoy the case, y'all. I'm still waiting for my I/O connectors :(

Reactions: K888D

hogehige

Case Bender
Dec 23, 2016
Awesome, thanks for posting and welcome to the forum!

What system have you built into the case? How are you finding the performance?
  • CASE : LZ7 FE w/ Full Panel
  • CASE FAN : CRYORIG XT-140
  • PSU : SST-SX500-LG (SFX-L)
  • M/B : ASUS B150I PRO GAMING/AURA
  • CPU : Intel Core i5-6500
  • CPU FAN : Thermaltake Engine 27
  • VGA : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini ITX OC
  • SSD : Patriot Hellfire M.2 NVMe SSD
I mounted the SFX-L PSU.
So there was no space to mount HDD.

Reactions: Weredawg and K888D

Kiaser21

Chassis Packer
Dec 23, 2016
With the 120mm mount at the front, it seems to me you could attach a 120mm radiator to the outside of the case and have the fan inside turned around to "exhaust" through the radiator since it won't really have much heat to exhaust from the inside with water cooling the CPU. The radiator extension would fit over the front I/O panel, and the radiator hoses would stick straight through the panel (with a small cut needed).

Not sure if the slim fan inside would provide enough airflow for the radiator or really how effective the cooling would be compared to air cooling.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
With the 120mm mount at the front, it seems to me you could attach a 120mm radiator to the outside of the case and have the fan inside turned around to "exhaust" through the radiator since it won't really have much heat to exhaust from the inside with water cooling the CPU. The radiator extension would fit over the front I/O panel, and the radiator hoses would stick straight through the panel (with a small cut needed).

Not sure if the slim fan inside would provide enough airflow for the radiator or really how effective the cooling would be compared to air cooling.
Those are all very good points, putting the radiator on the outside of the case is something I have suggested as a possibility before, it would be a really cool experiment to try out. But like you say the 120/140mm slim fan may not provide much airflow through a radiator and so may not offer any benefit over conventional air cooling.

Kiaser21

Chassis Packer
Dec 23, 2016
Those are all very good points, putting the radiator on the outside of the case is something I have suggested as a possibility before, it would be a really cool experiment to try out. But like you say the 120/140mm slim fan may not provide much airflow through a radiator and so may not offer any benefit over conventional air cooling.

I'm willing to run tests if I can get a case soon, I have all the parts except for the case. Looking to order the case as soon as possible.

sashadkiselev

Efficiency Noob
Dec 9, 2016
Hey K888D, I have a few things to say about your case. It is amazing that you made a custom case in less than a year while cases like the Dan A4 and Sentry are only about to be finished after 3 years. And also a couple of questions:

1. I read on your website that you'll do another run of 20 in 2 months. Is that still on track since I hesitated ordering the case and now regret it.

2. Will there be significant if any design changes with the next run?

3. How difficult is it to put together compared to other cube cases like sg05 and compared to classic mid tower like s340

4. Can you still fit either a 140 or 120 slim intake fan or only 120mm now.

5. Which fan would you recommend most at the momment
Thanks

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It is amazing that you made a custom case in less than a year while cases like the Dan A4 and Sentry are only about to be finished after 3 years.

Not to minimize @K888D's accomplishment, but to be fair, it's much more difficult getting a production line going for sheet metal.

sashadkiselev

Efficiency Noob
Dec 9, 2016
Not to minimize @K888D's accomplishment, but to be fair, it's much more difficult getting a production line going for sheet metal.

But I as a user who cares about the finished product. A 7L small case that I can take in my backpack and which will be hidden from view. Don't really care about looks and material but much more about getting one and not paying 300£ for it

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Oh sure, I wasn't commenting on whether metal or acrylic is better from an end user perspective, just that designing a sheet metal case inherently takes longer.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
It is amazing that you made a custom case in less than a year while cases like the Dan A4 and Sentry are only about to be finished after 3 years.

Thanks! But as @Aibohphobia pointed out it requires more time and financial investment to make a metal case. Although there is a fair amount of design time invested in those 3D printed corner pieces!

Thanks for all the questions, I'll try and answer them below:

1. I read on your website that you'll do another run of 20 in 2 months. Is that still on track since I hesitated ordering the case and now regret it.

I am planning on doing another run as soon as I can, at the moment its looking like early March, but this is just an estimation as I haven't set the ball rolling on production yet.

2. Will there be significant if any design changes with the next run?

There will not be any significant changes other than a few minor tweaks to help with assembly. I am waiting for everyone to receive their cases and collate the feedback, a few people have said that the screws can be a bit tight to screw in, so I will look to improve this for the next run.

The next run won't be called the First Edition, so I guess that's different, also I may add the Lazer3D logo somewhere on the case, maybe the rear panel out of the way.

Dust filters were the most popular choice of covering for both the GPU panel and IO panel, but sourcing these dust filters was one of the most difficult aspects of all the logistics (I think I bought every Akasa Dust Filter from every online shop in the UK!), I need to have a look into this as supply of this particular filter is a concern for future runs.

3. How difficult is it to put together compared to other cube cases like sg05 and compared to classic mid tower like s340

I've not built in an SG05 but I have built an SG13 and I would say it is no more difficult, but then I'm biased because I know the case inside out! In fact it is a little easier as you can remove each panel of the LZ7 to get access to certain components if you made a mistake or forgot to connect a wire etc.

But, bare in mind that the LZ7 is supplied flat packed as a kit, so the assembly time is probably longer with an LZ7 than the standard cube cases.

4. Can you still fit either a 140 or 120 slim intake fan or only 120mm now.

Yep you can fit a 140mm fan up to 15mm thick, no change there.

5. Which fan would you recommend most at the momment

The best fan I've found in terms of airflow to noise ratio is the Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 140mm, it provides shed loads of airflow even at 700 RPM meaning it's pretty quiet while gaming maxing out at 1000 RPM, the downside to the fan is that I can't get it to idle less than 650 RPM so it's not silent, this may be down to the motherboard fan controller though (Gigabyte), Asus motherboards may fair better.

The Silverstone FW141 Ultra Slim fan comes in a close second, I managed to get it down to around 500 RPM at idle with the Gigabyte software so its runs quieter when idle, but, and it's a big but, there is a scraping sound at low RPMs which I found annoying. It provides similar airflow to the Prolimatech at equivalent RPM, but it sounds a tad louder.

The Thermalright 14013R is probably the worst performer in terms of noise, it's the cheapest of the bunch though, and to be fair to it if you don't mind a bit of noise from your PC then it whacks out a tonne of airflow at max speed (1300 RPM).

Then there is the Thermaltake Luna 14 Slim, this one is a bit of an oddball, it's capable of being very quiet and almost silent at idle, but its airflow is lacking compared to the previously mentioned fans. So it depends on your priorities as to whether this fan suits your needs, it comes with LEDs as well depending on whether this is a benefit or not is personal preference!

There is also the Cryorig XT140, but I've not had chance to test it out yet. I think a few of the LZ7 owners have installed this fan, hopefully one of them can comment on how it performs.

Reactions: Weredawg and Phuncz

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Hey K888D, I have a few things to say about your case. It is amazing that you made a custom case in less than a year while cases like the Dan A4 and Sentry are only about to be finished after 3 years. And also a couple of questions:

I don't want to impute sth. to K888D but if you place a product on market it is not enough to only create a product. You have to fulfill many laws this is the reason why the A4 tooks so much longer. Here are some steps I had to do:

Basic
- Developing a product
- Coordinate developing with the community
- Coordinate developing and production with manufacturer (1000+ Mails)
- Testing different product samples
- Creating professional product pictures
- Creating a quality control guide for manufacturer
- Creating a Website
- Creating a Carton
- Creating a Product label
- Coordinate product reviews
- Creating a Crowdfunding Page and Video
- Planing the shipment of 1600+ cases with container ship and German customs
- Developing a shipment software

Things you need to do from legal side in the EU:
- funding a company