Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
BTW: Is there any merit to the concerns about static electricity damage and poor shielding associated with acrylic pc cases?

paisapues

Chassis Packer
Sep 14, 2016
The matte panels look amazing... so glad I went with the white one!
I also like the look of the new dust filter, the screws seem a bit big though.... Is this the filter you'll use for the first batch?

Reactions: K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
For the tower-style orientation, are there slots to screw HiFi feet to the GPU panel? Or does it have to use adhesive rubber feet?

Great question I tried looking at all the previous diagrams and pics and am too unable to figure that one out.

Thanks @WadeAK78 that is correct, the GPU side panel has 120mm and 140mm mounting holes for installing a dust filter or a fan if you dont want to install a GPU. Or alternatively these mounting holes can be used to attach HiFi style feet with a nut and bolt.

Please bare in mind that standing the case sideways in a tower orientation will reduce GPU cooling performance due to airflow restriction - even when the case is being lifted 10mm by some feet the performance will still be reduced.

BTW: Is there any merit to the concerns about static electricity damage and poor shielding associated with acrylic pc cases?

I haven't personally experienced or witnessed any static build up/discharge over the past few months of usage and testing the cases.

With regards to poor shielding, yes an Acrylic case does not offer the shielding that a metal case does. Many modern cases have large Acrylic or glass windows, you can also buy open benches or cases such as the Thermaltake Core P5 or InWin D-Frame 2.0 which are pretty much open cases.

The matte panels look amazing... so glad I went with the white one!

Thanks, the White panels do look nice when you add an accented colour.

By the way, there is only 1 White First Edition case remaining and the Black First Edition is sold out. Once I have fulfilled the first batch of orders I will be looking to do another run of the standard case early 2017.

I also like the look of the new dust filter, the screws seem a bit big though.... Is this the filter you'll use for the first batch?

Yes the dust filter shown in the photo is what I will be supplying with the case, its an all metal and very slim 140mm filter. This filter style also performed marginally better in the airflow testing than the previously tested Silverstone model.

In the photos the filter and fan guard are held on by M4 Nylon screws and nuts and will be supplied with the case, they (as you have pointed out) have slightly bigger heads than fan screws. But if you are installing a fan then you will be using fan screws anyway, these Nylon screws are just provided as a back up to cater for all the different setup possibilities.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
I haven't personally experienced or witnessed any static build up/discharge over the past few months of usage and testing the cases.

With regards to poor shielding, yes an Acrylic case does not offer the shielding that a metal case does. Many modern cases have large Acrylic or glass windows, you can also buy open benches or cases such as the Thermaltake Core P5 or InWin D-Frame 2.0 which are pretty much open cases.

Thank you for the answer and giving those examples... makes sense I also never quite bought into the whole idea that you need a metal case for proper grounding and shielding as all quality power supplies should be well grounded and as you said so many cases now are with huge viewing windows and sometimes open expansion port slots.

Reactions: K888D

paisapues

Chassis Packer
Sep 14, 2016
Yes the dust filter shown in the photo is what I will be supplying with the case, its an all metal and very slim 140mm filter. This filter style also performed marginally better in the airflow testing than the previously tested Silverstone model.

In the photos the filter and fan guard are held on by M4 Nylon screws and nuts and will be supplied with the case, they (as you have pointed out) have slightly bigger heads than fan screws. But if you are installing a fan then you will be using fan screws anyway, these Nylon screws are just provided as a back up to cater for all the different setup possibilities.

Thanks as always for the quick replies, that makes sense... Forgot about the fan screws.
Well have a good time with your move and keep us posted on the progress of the cases! Can't wait to start building in it!

Reactions: cmyk78 and K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
both out of stock? no! do you know when the next batch will be available? thanks.
The First Edition has sold out, sorry about that. I am hoping to have some more cases available in February/March 2017 kind of timescale, but that isn't guaranteed.

I am currently preparing all the First Edition orders for shipping out within the next 2 weeks, its been pretty stressful trying to organise everything at the same time as moving house, especially as the move was a bit chaotic and I am currently without internet for the next 2 weeks which isn't helping!

Once these orders are shipped I will be having a break for a few weeks over Christmas after which I will start preparing for round 2, perhaps February is a little optimistic, probably more realistic to say March availability/shipping.

Mezzeric

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 29, 2016
The First Edition has sold out, sorry about that. I am hoping to have some more cases available in February/March 2017 kind of timescale, but that isn't guaranteed.

I am currently preparing all the First Edition orders for shipping out within the next 2 weeks, its been pretty stressful trying to organise everything at the same time as moving house, especially as the move was a bit chaotic and I am currently without internet for the next 2 weeks which isn't helping!

Once these orders are shipped I will be having a break for a few weeks over Christmas after which I will start preparing for round 2, perhaps February is a little optimistic, probably more realistic to say March availability/shipping.

Thank you. Looking forward for the 2nd batch. :)

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Thanks everyone, your support is amazing!

That must be a great feeling, congratulations! How many units did you sell roundabout? I think you mentioned it before, but I can't find the numbers.

It does feel great, but there is also a massive feeling of responsibility to go with it. As this is the first time I have released my own product, its 50% excitement and 50% stress!

Even though I had enough panels to make 30 cases (20 black and 10 white), the First Edition was limited to 20 cases as I only had 20 serial number panels made. I originally planned to only do a black version but I received quite a bit of interest for white so it was added later. The black sold 16 and the white sold 4.

Since its sold out I've had quite a few messages inquiring when it will be available again, so hopefully its a positive sign that the demand will continue. But the standard version will be priced higher as the First Edition did not make any profit, so whether the demand will still be there at the higher price is unknown. I appreciate that £110 - £120 is expensive for a small Acrylic case and I am trying to think of ways to reduce the price for the next batch.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
It does feel great, but there is also a massive feeling of responsibility to go with it. As this is the first time I have released my own product, its 50% excitement and 50% stress!

Haha ask @dondan with his 1700 cases :D I absolutely get your point, though.

20 is a good start, and I think you've absolutely made the right call choosing your manufacturing techniques and materials that allowed you to price the case reasonably at such a low volume.

Since its sold out I've had quite a few messages inquiring when it will be available again, so hopefully its a positive sign that the demand will continue. But the standard version will be priced higher as the First Edition did not make any profit, so whether the demand will still be there at the higher price is unknown. I appreciate that £110 - £120 is expensive for a small Acrylic case and I am trying to think of ways to reduce the price for the next batch.

No wonder, it just looks great and there's nothing quite like it on the market right now! I think if you manage to bootstrap a larger production run of 100 cases and then stock them, you could increase your margin quite a bit. The problem is of course investing in such a large run. Have you thought about collecting pre-orders for the second version now? That way you could manage to accumulate orders until the first batch is out and then immediately start the second one.

Reactions: Soul_Est and K888D

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have no doubt that once the builds start rolling in, the demand will increase even more ! I would guess a lot of people don't consider a project case unless it's "real", having people showcase their builds makes it real.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
@K888D how's everything going, everything on schedule ? Pseudo-"can't wait for the case"-post :D
All going great thanks, started packing the finished cases yesterday and should be shipping the first 5 cases today, which includes yours by the way! (Serial number 3), hoping to get the rest shipped over the next few days.

Keep a look out for your shipping confirmation emails with tracking details.