Production Lazer3D - LZ XTD - Alternative Designs

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020
My front panel extension kit arrived and fits perfectly. Thank you very much for correcting my order as to the chosen vent design. I always welcome additional ventilation. For me you could also offer the standard front panel with additional ventilation slots or a 120mm cyclone vent opening. Regards.

Reactions: K888D

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020
I do hope you will offer a regular front panel for either a LZ7 or XTD with additional ventilation when extended GPU length is not required and the 2.5" drive mount storage is not needed.
I would like to see either a panel with both the GPU vent and a 120 mm cyclone vent fan opening, or a XL-Vent pattern as you have done on the front panel expansion. You could also offer the FE-X vent although that is my least preferred option. Thank you.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I do hope you will offer a regular front panel for either a LZ7 or XTD with additional ventilation when extended GPU length is not required and the 2.5" drive mount storage is not needed.
I would like to see either a panel with both the GPU vent and a 120 mm cyclone vent fan opening, or a XL-Vent pattern as you have done on the front panel expansion. You could also offer the FE-X vent although that is my least preferred option. Thank you.

Thank you for the feedback, it's a tough one as some people prefer the minimalist look of nothing on the front panel, to the point where even the GPU vents spoil the aesthetic. But I suppose it doesn't hurt to have it as an option for those who value the extra ventilation. I'll put some thought into it.

Reactions: Mark13

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020
You might also consider leaving the GPU vent slots as they are and simply add XL-Vent slots in the area to the right. My final suggestion - I promise.

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2018
Unfortunately this wouldn't be possible due to how the corner pieces sit next to the GPU, the corners would need moving outwards as well as the side panel.

Would it be possible to do something about just extending the side to allow a 2.5 or 3 slot graphics card, while keeping the current length limitation? This'd still allow a lot of cards to be used that are currently not compatible due to their width.

EDIT: Looking at it a bit closer, I realize that you might have meant the corner piece at the back, so maybe this indeed isn't a feasible idea. Sorry.

Last edited:

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2018
So, in order to accomodate a wider graphics card, I have two possible ideas:
  • Two 3D-printed corner pieces which would be about 1~2 (?) cm wider than the default, and would still allow to mount the same side panel, OR:
  • Take the rear corner piece, file down the part that blocks the card, and then mount the side panel using some stand-offs.
Does either of those ideas make sense? Sorry for the noise but I just don't want to give up this excellent case over half a PCIe slot.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
So, in order to accomodate a wider graphics card, I have two possible ideas:
  • Two 3D-printed corner pieces which would be about 1~2 (?) cm wider than the default, and would still allow to mount the same side panel, OR:
  • Take the rear corner piece, file down the part that blocks the card, and then mount the side panel using some stand-offs.
Does either of those ideas make sense? Sorry for the noise but I just don't want to give up this excellent case over half a PCIe slot.
It's certainly possible to amend the design of the XTD in order to accomodate a 2.5 slot card. However, it's not something that I would like to do as it will massively increase the customisation complexity beyond what is manageable.

I would prefer to release an entirely new case that could accept a 2.5 slot card, rather than complicate existing products. I am working on some new cases to try and address this, hopefully I'll be able to release some details soon.

MaxusValtron

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 24, 2020
Is it possible to watercool a gpu in the XTD?

I've been looking at pictures on the site of clearances and of people's builds but I'm just not quite sure. If you mount a 120mm radiator and fan to the top XL vent panel, that gives you 80mm for a CPU cooler (135mm - 30mm rad - 25mm fan). That would be fine for a top down style cooler, but then you would have the two fans working in opposition (one blowing down on the cpu, and one blowing up through the radiator) and it seems like they'd starve each other for air.

Would it be possible to mount a second radiator for the cpu somewhere else in the case? Maybe a slim one to the front 120mm vent? Or maybe some kind of cpu blower that would go...up? I'm open to weird ideas, I've been sitting here imagining all kinds of bizarre things with blower fans and 3d printed ducts, but there's only so far I can go without having one in my hands!

I'm also curious about airflow in the standing configuration. One of the "airflow layout examples" shows the 80mm fan as an exhaust, but that doesn't seem like it would work if that's at the bottom. I haven't been able to find pictures of any configurations set up vertically like that to see how other people are doing it.

I appreciate any help!

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2018

Sorry to say, but the short answer is no. (Unless Kevin knows something that I don't see right now)

Theoretically, you could use something like the NZXT Kraken G12, but mounting the AIO to the GPU would then exceed the maximum graphics card width, so wouldn't fit. At least, I haven't found an AIO which would fit there.

I've been looking at pictures on the site of clearances and of people's builds but I'm just not quite sure. If you mount a 120mm radiator and fan to the top XL vent panel, that gives you 80mm for a CPU cooler (135mm - 30mm rad - 25mm fan). That would be fine for a top down style cooler, but then you would have the two fans working in opposition (one blowing down on the cpu, and one blowing up through the radiator) and it seems like they'd starve each other for air.

You could flip the fan on your top-down cooler so that it blows upwards. This would be still inefficient, and wouldn't work if you have a powerful CPU, because the radiator would end up trying to cool the GPU using the hot air that comes from the CPU cooler. Maybe the side and back fans could help somewhat, but hard to say without testing.

Would it be possible to mount a second radiator for the cpu somewhere else in the case? Maybe a slim one to the front 120mm vent? Or maybe some kind of cpu blower that would go...up? I'm open to weird ideas, I've been sitting here imagining all kinds of bizarre things with blower fans and 3d printed ducts, but there's only so far I can go without having one in my hands!

Not unless you somehow hook up both the CPU and GPU to the same radiator, or mount 2 radiators on top of each other to the top panel. I haven't done the math but it doesn't look like there is space for this. Maybe if you have a DC/DC PSU you could fit something to the place where normally the SFX PSU would go, but I wouldn't bet on this either. Also if you have a GPU that you wanna watercool, it probably draws more power than a DC/DC PSU can provide reasonably.

I'm also curious about airflow in the standing configuration. One of the "airflow layout examples" shows the 80mm fan as an exhaust, but that doesn't seem like it would work if that's at the bottom. I haven't been able to find pictures of any configurations set up vertically like that to see how other people are doing it.

I appreciate any help!

I think the same configuration that I showed in my build (click on the link above to see the gallery), would still work. Depending on the orientation, it might be beneficial to flip the fan directions, but I don't think that matters too much.

chewie13

Caliper Novice
Feb 19, 2018
I cooled my CPU with the DAN cases 92mm AIO on the rear with an OC R5 36004 @4.3ghz all core. There is room for a 120mm AIO to go on top as well if you use the vented panel if you get an AIO with the pump in the pipes (can't remember the brand) or pump in the radiator (again can't remember the brand) I am currently trying to source one for my build as there is room and I like silence.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com

I appreciate any help!

I'm not really sure what waterblocks are available for the latest GPU's and how tall they would make the GPU as to whether it would still fit in the XTD. You would then need a radiator/pump combo that you could mount to the Top XL-Vent panel in a 120mm form factor.

In terms of the CPU cooler clearance under the radiator, I would say go for the Noctua NH-L12S, by default this cooler blows upwards and works very well and quietly, so as you say the warm air would blow up and out through the radiator, but I expect this will increase GPU temps slightly compared to pulling in fresh cool air.

I have had feedback from a customer who was able to fit the Asetek 92mm AIO to the rear panel fan mount, however it was very tight so I'm not sure if it would work with all motherboard/cpu cooler/top aio/etc combinations.

chewie13

Caliper Novice
Feb 19, 2018
I'm not really sure what waterblocks are available for the latest GPU's and how tall they would make the GPU as to whether it would still fit in the XTD. You would then need a radiator/pump combo that you could mount to the Top XL-Vent panel in a 120mm form factor.

In terms of the CPU cooler clearance under the radiator, I would say go for the Noctua NH-L12S, by default this cooler blows upwards and works very well and quietly, so as you say the warm air would blow up and out through the radiator, but I expect this will increase GPU temps slightly compared to pulling in fresh cool air.

I have had feedback from a customer who was able to fit the Asetek 92mm AIO to the rear panel fan mount, however it was very tight so I'm not sure if it would work with all motherboard/cpu cooler/top aio/etc combinations.

Yes the DAN 92mm AIO i referred too is the Asetek 92mm AIO but I swapped the noctua slim 92mm fan for the thicker 92mm fan to remove the tight fit on the back.

MaxusValtron

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 24, 2020
Thanks for all the responses guys! It sounds like it maaaaybe might work, but everything would be pretty damn close. If I had more money, I'd just buy the case and the parts and see what happened buuuut....

I think it could be done with a 120mm rad for the gpu, and a gpu loop with a combined pump/block, like the alphacool Eiswolf Pro. But at that point that's not really much of an upgrade over a good air cooler on the gpu anyway. I really can't see how a 240mm rad could fit anywhere. Possiblely an extra slim one (I think there's some ~25mm thick rads) with fans mounted externally?

Still, if someone else comes across this thread and wants to do it for style points, I think this is how it could be done:

120mm version of the Eiswolf could be mounted to the top XL-vent.
92mm AIOs do exist for cpu. So possibly you can mount that to the rear fan opening. Might fit, might have to be pushed down a little. Hard to say.

Alternatively, use something like the Noctua NH-L12S with the fan mounted underneath and pointing up. Then you're blowing hot air from the cpu directly into the radiator which can't be good, but it's doable...

Anyway, thanks all for engaging with that thought experiment and helping me out :)

Still love the case, might buy one for a media pc in the future. For now, I got an Xtia XProto and am going to slap a 280mm rad on it, and finally have a Vega64 that isn't roasting

TunaAlien

Caliper Novice
Oct 11, 2019
Hey guys!

Recently I've been thinking about my upgrade path. My monitor (UW 120Hz) is pretty much forcing me to go to the top of the range, so I think I'll have to grab the expansion kit later on (won't be upgrading for a while yet!).

The only problem is, I much prefer the flush clean look of the original LZ7 XTD. It's not a criticism, as I appreciate having the option at all to fit a bigger card in a case that wasn't anticipating it and I think it is the best solution, but it does look like an afterthought to me.

Anyone got any ideas to make the front panel expansion look a bit snazzier? Someone suggested some RGB underglow coming from behind the panel, which certainly sounds cool to me... If it's doable.

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
Anyone had any issues with hot PSUs? I have my case mounted vertically (cables out the bottom) and the PSU mounted fan facing down.
Seems the upper left if getting a bit warm to the touch, Solved by taking the wood panel off which is the top for me, just wondering has anyone else come across this? To be fair I was gaming for a good few hours just the heat coming out the back of the PSU seems a little trapped.

chewie13

Caliper Novice
Feb 19, 2018
Nope I have run mine in all sorts of orientations but not had this issue is the side fan set as intake or exhaust also I use a vented top (your side) which do you use?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Anyone had any issues with hot PSUs? I have my case mounted vertically (cables out the bottom) and the PSU mounted fan facing down.
Seems the upper left if getting a bit warm to the touch, Solved by taking the wood panel off which is the top for me, just wondering has anyone else come across this? To be fair I was gaming for a good few hours just the heat coming out the back of the PSU seems a little trapped.

Do you have the PSU fan facing into the case (toward motherboard) or toward the front of the case (your wood panel)?

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
I have the side panel as an exhaust, poor photo but I can't find the charger for the SLR.

So base intake is the 92mm then the 120mm as an exhaust you can kind of see the thinking, PSU is facing the board. I'm slowing working on shorter cable runs and a better lighting solution.

Reactions: owliwar and K888D

gpaint45

Caliper Novice
Mar 1, 2020
Hello all! I actually emailed K888D a couple of pictures of my custom watercooling loop involving an Alphacool NexXxoS ST25 240mm Slim Rad & Barrow DDC Pump/Reservoir/ARGB combo CPU Waterblock. It was a tight fit but had good clearance once I had everything installed inside my LZ7 XTD case. I'm just doing a simple loop for my Ryzen 3950X (PBO Enabled) which I had originally in an SGPC K39 case (in Eco Mode). Please note that I had to use an Enhance ENP-7660b 600W Flex ATX PSU. Temps are 30°C at idle & 60°C after 30 minutes running Cinebench R20. I have the pump running @ 1800rpm. Maximum is 4600rpm.

Last edited: