Production Lazer3D - LZ XTD - Alternative Designs

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Just one thing: can you tinker with the case and the base hold it steady? What I mean is: can you plug and unplug cables without worry? Is the base screwed or something?
The base is loose as in the case just sits on top of it, but with my short time testing it today it felt steady. For removing cables you have to lift the case anyway when its stood vertically to access the bottom of the case where the cables are.

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2018
Is this something that you guys would be interested in:

It's just a concept at the moment, but I may get one made tomorrow to test out. It enables the LZ7 or LZ7 XTD to be stood vertically transforming the case into a vertical Tower style PC saving on desk space.

I assumed it was always possible to just stick the feet to the side of the case in order to make it a vertical case. Is that not the case?

Reactions: K888D

chewie13

Caliper Novice
Feb 19, 2018
I hope this becomes an addon we can purchase at some point. Also, I will be heading home to the Falkland Islands in a few weeks do you guys post to the Falklands? I know overclockers does not.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I assumed it was always possible to just stick the feet to the side of the case in order to make it a vertical case. Is that not the case?

Yes you can do that if you would prefer, you can use the fan holes on the GPU panel to mount the feet to the side panel.

However, the feet are only 10mm tall, which effectively chokes the GPU fans for fresh air and reduces your GPU performance. From my testing the GPU ran something like 5C warmer lying the case on its side using the 10mm feet, which in turn leads to higher RPMs on your fans and a louder system.

The concept stand lifts the case by 50mm, which allows the GPU fans to breathe much more effectively.

I hope this becomes an addon we can purchase at some point. Also, I will be heading home to the Falkland Islands in a few weeks do you guys post to the Falklands? I know overclockers does not.

We can ship to The Falkland Islands, but I just checked the prices and damn, your looking at around £80 to £90 just for a small under 1kg box!!!!

Whereabouts are you located now? Perhaps I can ship you over this concept stand before you move?

Regarding availability, yes I would like to make this available to purchase on its own and as an addon.

chewie13

Caliper Novice
Feb 19, 2018
Yes you can do that if you would prefer, you can use the fan holes on the GPU panel to mount the feet to the side panel.

However, the feet are only 10mm tall, which effectively chokes the GPU fans for fresh air and reduces your GPU performance. From my testing the GPU ran something like 5C warmer lying the case on its side using the 10mm feet, which in turn leads to higher RPMs on your fans and a louder system.

The concept stand lifts the case by 50mm, which allows the GPU fans to breathe much more effectively.

We can ship to The Falkland Islands, but I just checked the prices and damn, your looking at around £80 to £90 just for a small under 1kg box!!!!

Whereabouts are you located now? Perhaps I can ship you over this concept stand before you move?

Regarding availability, yes I would like to make this available to purchase on its own and as an addon.

I am located in London and will be leaving here by the 18th of August so if a concept/prototype version would be grand I am obviously willing to pay :)

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2018

Oh, I see. That was a bad idea then. I haven't yet actually got an LZ7 so I hadn't had the chance to actually try this yet. Waiting for the LZ7 XTD - and now, also waiting for this cool stand. :)

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2018
It looks like the SFX PSU in the LZ7 XTD is arranged differently from how it was cramped in the LZ7 ― does this mean the XTD has a larger room for CPU coolers? Would AMD's stock coolers (Wraith Prism, or Wraith Spire) fit the XTD? As far as I read these ones had issues with the original LZ7.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
It looks like the SFX PSU in the LZ7 XTD is arranged differently from how it was cramped in the LZ7 ― does this mean the XTD has a larger room for CPU coolers? Would AMD's stock coolers (Wraith Prism, or Wraith Spire) fit the XTD? As far as I read these ones had issues with the original LZ7.

That is correct, the XTD layout moves the SFX PSU to the front of the case which opens up all the entire height of the case above the motherboard for CPU cooling. With the XTD you can install up to 135mm tall coolers, or a 140mm AIO if you choose the XL-Vent style Top Panel.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Really excited for this one, just went and got a 3800X on an impulse and it is hard to keep it cool on air in the dan case, even with mods (big surprise right?) but this case seems to be perfectly compact while still allowing for solid air cooling options, which I think is kind of a gap in the SFF space. Plus making it whatever color you want is a plus.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
seems to be perfectly compact while still allowing for solid air cooling options, which I think is kind of a gap in the SFF space.
Thank you. The LZ7 wasn't designed to be the smallest case around, but instead offer a balance between size and cooling performance for both CPU and GPU, hopefully the XTD will carry that balance on into the 10 litre category.

Here are few more photos of it in my living room, I swapped the top panel to a Clear FUSION (FUSION being the name for the 2 tone panels) rather than a smoked FUSION:

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Thank you. The LZ7 wasn't designed to be the smallest case around, but instead offer a balance between size and cooling performance for both CPU and GPU, hopefully the XTD will carry that balance on into the 10 litre category.

Here are few more photos of it in my living room, I swapped the top panel to a Clear FUSION (FUSION being the name for the 2 tone panels) rather than a smoked FUSION:

The two-tone smoked vs clear really shows off the goods, while hiding the PSU/Wire business. Like it! Keeping an eye on this thread for when it is available, do you recommend going through your site or overclockers if I am located in the US?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
do you recommend going through your site or overclockers if I am located in the US?
I would say it's best to go through Overclockers, if the parts you want are in stock it will be shipped same/next working day. Whereas ordering direct with Lazer3D we make each case to order with a 2 - 3 week lead time.

Reactions: Reldey

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
So when this is available, was planning on attempting to stuff the rather warm Ryzen 3800X inside, from what you have seen @K888D , do you think it would be feasible to keep this thing cool under air with the NHU9, or should I think about mounting an AIO? I currently have it running power-limited under a NHL9 until I can stick it in a larger enclosure.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
So when this is available, was planning on attempting to stuff the rather warm Ryzen 3800X inside, from what you have seen @K888D , do you think it would be feasible to keep this thing cool under air with the NHU9, or should I think about mounting an AIO? I currently have it running power-limited under a NHL9 until I can stick it in a larger enclosure.

I think you should be able to find a solution that will allow you to get the full performance of the 3800X, as you say the Noctua U9S is a good starting point and should handle the 3800X fairly well under stock settings. The Noctua is also well known for its compatibility with ITX motherboards, so this would be the easiest choice:

Basically you have 135mm of CPU cooler height to play with, I think the U9S is considered one of the best performers in this height category. There are also quite a few top down coolers to choose from as well, I've tested the Silverstone NT06-PRO which worked well with an i7-8700k:

The only issue with large top down coolers is you have to be careful that they don't overhang the edges of the motherboard. Some of these larger coolers with 120mm/140mm fans tend to offset away from the CPU socket which may lead to case compatibility issues.

Also recently did a nice build with @Legion using the Scythe Big Shuriken 3 and swapping the fan out for a full 25mm thick fan:

Other coolers to consider would be the BeQuiet Shadow Rock TF2, which sits at 130mm tall, but is very wide and so you may have sideways compatibility problems:

Alternatively there is the smaller BeQuiet Shadow Rock LP which is rated for 130W TDP and should provide better compatibility. But again, even this cooler can overhang with certain socket locations:

There is also the Thermalright AXP200 Muscle, which is rated for 180W TDP, but due to its 140mm fan you may get compatibility issues depending on motherboard socket location.

The great thing about using top down coolers is you can swap out the fan for a fancy RGB one (if that's your thing) in combination with a top window panel:

If anybody has any experience of good top down coolers under 135mm in height that have good ITX motherboard compatibility, please share your thoughts, thank you!

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2018
I watched this LZ7 review where the reviewer said that he contacted you about the prices and got told that you are experimenting with a cheaper material for the corner pieces, and to expect a price drop in 2019 due to this. I'm curious, has this happened yet? And also, how does this translate to the LZ7 XTD, can we get it with the cheaper corner pieces, or are those coming later?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I watched this LZ7 review where the reviewer said that he contacted you about the prices and got told that you are experimenting with a cheaper material for the corner pieces, and to expect a price drop in 2019 due to this. I'm curious, has this happened yet? And also, how does this translate to the LZ7 XTD, can we get it with the cheaper corner pieces, or are those coming later?

Since that video was released we reduced the price of the case around a month later.

We are working on things in the background to bring the price down further, but new materials/manufacturing processes for the corner pieces will likely require significant changes in the design and therefore will not be compatible with the LZ7 in its current form, i.e. they will have to be released as a completely new case, which is quite a way out yet.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
is there any place we can pre-order the LZ7 XTD? :)
This is something I thought about but decided against, reason being is if there are any delays then it will just lead to disappointed customers. With being such a small company, launching a new product is a massive undertaking and things tend to take longer than expected. We are currently targeting the end of September kind of timeframe and I'll update you with a more firm date nearer to the time.

But on a positive note, I don't think you need to worry about stock issues as Overclockers UK placed quite a big stock order for the XTD. However, if you order direct through Lazer3D and we see a large volume of orders in the first few weeks it may take us a little longer than usual to make and dispatch them.

Reactions: Reldey