Production Lazer3D - LZ XTD - Alternative Designs

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Do you think this case can fit a r9 fury-x and its aio (or some other watercooled gpu set up) using a low profile cooler? If so would a sfx psu still fit or would the dc-dc option be better?

Yes that card should fit no problem. With this layout the SFX PSU sits in front of the motherboard so there is plenty of space above the motherboard to install up to a 140mm AIO.

You will need to select the XL-vent top panel option (instead of full window panel) though which has all the slots for mounting fans to the top panel.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Kdrs0122

Caliper Novice
Aug 28, 2018
Yes that card should fit no problem. With this layout the SFX PSU sits in front of the motherboard so there is plenty of space above the motherboard to install up to a 140mm AIO.

You will need to select the XL-vent top panel option (instead of full window panel) though which has all the slots for mounting fans to the top panel.
Bet. I wasn't sure about this at first because my regular Lz7 is the PERFECT size for me but being able to squeeze a water cooled gpu in it is very tempting...

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Bet. I wasn't sure about this at first because my regular Lz7 is the PERFECT size for me but being able to squeeze a water cooled gpu in it is very tempting...

I get tonnes of messages and emails asking to make the case longer to fit GPU X, Y or Z. These extra panels are the solution for those who like the LZ7 but don't want to compromise on GPU length.

The panels are also compatible with existing LZ7 cases for those who want to extend their case.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Ever since seeing @Tek Everything's video on the original LZ7, I took a liking to it despite not having an appropriately short video card. Separately, I joined the forum and discovered Lazer3d's presence here. This XTD model immediately strikes me as better optimized and much better looking Silverstone SG13. The XTD's PSU placement seems much better. Relative to the SG13, it seems the main intake fan is on the "side" while the PSU moves to the "front".

I'm interested to see how the cooling setup works with a tower cooler and rear fan installed. In my head, it would seem that a tower cooler and exhaust fan would create something of a hindrance for intake fan and prevent a nice positive pressure for the GPU heat being exhausted into the case. Still, I would guess that at least it wouldn't interfere with either the PSU or CPU too much.

Truly interesting concept and the various panel finishes are exquisite. What sort of storage capabilities are we looking at here?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Ever since seeing @Tek Everything's video on the original LZ7, I took a liking to it despite not having an appropriately short video card. Separately, I joined the forum and discovered Lazer3d's presence here. This XTD model immediately strikes me as better optimized and much better looking Silverstone SG13. The XTD's PSU placement seems much better. Relative to the SG13, it seems the main intake fan is on the "side" while the PSU moves to the "front".

Thank you very much.

I do like the SG13 although I've found it to struggle with thermals.

I'm interested to see how the cooling setup works with a tower cooler and rear fan installed. In my head, it would seem that a tower cooler and exhaust fan would create something of a hindrance for intake fan and prevent a nice positive pressure for the GPU heat being exhausted into the case. Still, I would guess that at least it wouldn't interfere with either the PSU or CPU too much.

The tower cooler setup with rear exhaust works really well, I tested this configuration in the LZ7 with a DC-DC setup.

I've copied and pasted the testing write up into the spoiler below. The TLDR version is that the U9S tower cooler gave the best results by quite some margin.

A range of coolers were tested in the LZ7 to see what is possible when using either SFX power supplies or DC-DC power supplies.

TEST SYSTEM
  • Intel Core i7-7700
  • MSI B250I
  • 16Gb DDR4 2400MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
  • Gigabyte GTX 1070 ITX
  • 256Gb M.2 SSD (Samsung PM951)
TEST SETUP

For the SFX power supply system a Corsair SF450 was used, a 140mm Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex fan was mounted to the side panel.

For the DC-DC system a HDPLEX 400w HiFi DC-ATX power board in combination with a Dell 19v 330w external AC Power Adapter was used.

For the Corsair H60 AIO watercooler setup a 140mm Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex fan was mounted to the side panel.

For the NH-U9S tower cooler setup an additional Noctua 92x25mm fan was mounted to the rear panel set to exhaust as well as the 140mm Prolimatech side fan.

All setups were tested using the same software, with Prime95 (2 threads) + Unigine Valley highest settings @ 1080p run simultaneously for a consistent system wide stress, each test was carried out for a minimum of 30 minutes and maximum temperature/noise results were recorded.

RESULTS

CONCLUSION

Even though you now have the option to install a 120mm AIO watercooler, the testing found that the Noctua NH-U9S tower cooler in combination with a rear 92mm exhaust fan outperformed the Corsair H60 AIO in both noise and temperatures.

In summary, if you don’t mind using external power bricks then opting for a DC-DC setup can result in an incredibly efficient CPU cooling machine, capable of maintaining temps and noise levels that a case many times bigger would be proud of.

ULTIMATE COOLING SETUP

Truly interesting concept and the various panel finishes are exquisite. What sort of storage capabilities are we looking at here?

It uses the same storage bracket panel in the front of the standard LZ7 which can mount 2x 2.5" drives.

Last edited:

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
wow, nice results!

do you think is viable to have the case "standing" as other tower case, with GPU parallel to the floor?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
wow, nice results!

do you think is viable to have the case "standing" as other tower case, with GPU parallel to the floor?

It is yes, and the case actually looks quite nice in this orientation and takes us less desk space. However, I briefly tested this out during a PUBG session with the GTX 1080 Ti, upon rotating the case onto its side (with case feet on the side to create an 8mm gap to the floor) the GPU temps immediately began to rise and the fans became noticeably louder. After returning the case to its standard position the temps and fan rpm reduced back again.

I didn't record any excact numbers but it was enough of a rise in temps and noise to put me off, I may carry this test out more scientifically once I get some spare time.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Thank you very much.

I do like the SG13 although I've found it to struggle with thermals.

I like the SG13 case overall, but I've built a few systems in them and found it to struggle with cooling. I think the main reason is the cooling fan is located in the front

The tower cooler setup with rear exhaust works really well, I tested this configuration in the LZ7 with a DC-DC setup.

I've copied and pasted the testing write up into the spoiler below. The TLDR version is that the U9S tower cooler gave the best results by quite some margin.

A range of coolers were tested in the LZ7 to see what is possible when using either SFX power supplies or DC-DC power supplies.

TEST SYSTEM
  • Intel Core i7-7700
  • MSI B250I
  • 16Gb DDR4 2400MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
  • Gigabyte GTX 1070 ITX
  • 256Gb M.2 SSD (Samsung PM951)
TEST SETUP

For the SFX power supply system a Corsair SF450 was used, a 140mm Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex fan was mounted to the side panel.

For the DC-DC system a HDPLEX 400w HiFi DC-ATX power board in combination with a Dell 19v 330w external AC Power Adapter was used.

For the Corsair H60 AIO watercooler setup a 140mm Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex fan was mounted to the side panel.

For the NH-U9S tower cooler setup an additional Noctua 92x25mm fan was mounted to the rear panel set to exhaust as well as the 140mm Prolimatech side fan.

All setups were tested using the same software, with Prime95 (2 threads) + Unigine Valley highest settings @ 1080p run simultaneously for a consistent system wide stress, each test was carried out for a minimum of 30 minutes and maximum temperature/noise results were recorded.

RESULTS

CONCLUSION

Even though you now have the option to install a 120mm AIO watercooler, the testing found that the Noctua NH-U9S tower cooler in combination with a rear 92mm exhaust fan outperformed the Corsair H60 AIO in both noise and temperatures.

In summary, if you don’t mind using external power bricks then opting for a DC-DC setup can result in an incredibly efficient CPU cooling machine, capable of maintaining temps and noise levels that a case many times bigger would be proud of.

ULTIMATE COOLING SETUP

It uses the same storage bracket panel in the front of the standard LZ7 which can mount 2x 2.5" drives.

Interesting data. You didn't happen to take video card temp data during the testing, did you? Or was it largely unaffected by the CPU cooling setup?

Kdrs0122

Caliper Novice
Aug 28, 2018

With this setup you have the 140mm fan on the right as exhaust correct? And have you tested the rear fan on the dc-dc panel as an intake instead of exhaust?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
With this setup you have the 140mm fan on the right as exhaust correct? And have you tested the rear fan on the dc-dc panel as an intake instead of exhaust?
No it was the opposite way round, the 140mm side fan was an intake and the rear 92mm was an exhaust pulling the CPU heat directly out the case.

Interesting data. You didn't happen to take video card temp data during the testing, did you? Or was it largely unaffected by the CPU cooling setup?

I don't think I did sorry, it was a while ago.

What I have found though through general testing is that a positive pressure setup (140mm side fan set to intake) tends to have slightly higher GPU temps but lower CPU and system temps.

Whereas a negative pressure setup (140mm side fan set as exhaust) has higher CPU and system temps but lower GPU temps.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
No it was the opposite way round, the 140mm side fan was an intake and the rear 92mm was an exhaust pulling the CPU heat directly out the case.

I don't think I did sorry, it was a while ago.

What I have found though through general testing is that a positive pressure setup (140mm side fan set to intake) tends to have slightly higher GPU temps but lower CPU and system temps.

Whereas a negative pressure setup (140mm side fan set as exhaust) has higher CPU and system temps but lower GPU temps.
That's pretty interesting. To your earlier point about the SG13, I think you're probably right. I think the limited cooler height and disjointed airflow path from front to side also contribute. That's why I asked after video card temps with your airflow setup since the 140mm fan hits the CPU then the back plate. I put my sister's budget gaming build (R3 1200 and 1060 3GB) in an SG13 so nothing too crazy power-wise.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
That's pretty interesting. To your earlier point about the SG13, I think you're probably right. I think the limited cooler height and disjointed airflow path from front to side also contribute. That's why I asked after video card temps with your airflow setup since the 140mm fan hits the CPU then the back plate. I put my sister's budget gaming build (R3 1200 and 1060 3GB) in an SG13 so nothing too crazy power-wise.

Yes that's what I've found with the SG13 as well, the CPU sits in its own little compartment at the back of the case and just cooks itself with heat re-circulation. If you put a 140mm fan in the front of the case as an exhaust it just pulls air from the front half of the GPU side vent rather than through the entire case. If you set the front fan to push cool into the system it struggles to provide adequate airflow due to the intake side of the fan being severely restricted, what little air does make it into the case then exits out the side vents before making it to the CPU zone of the case.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Yes that's what I've found with the SG13 as well, the CPU sits in its own little compartment at the back of the case and just cooks itself with heat re-circulation. If you put a 140mm fan in the front of the case as an exhaust it just pulls air from the front half of the GPU side vent rather than through the entire case. If you set the front fan to push cool into the system it struggles to provide adequate airflow due to the intake side of the fan being severely restricted, what little air does make it into the case then exits out the side vents before making it to the CPU zone of the case.

I just realized by checking specs that my sister's system could fit into the original LZ7. However, making the case the 2nd most expensive item in the build (following the video card, and only by a tiny amount based on what I paid for it) seems an... odd juxtaposition.
Correction: the case would be the most expensive part of the build. Maybe if I convince her to ask the parents for Christmas money... That's soon, right?

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
It is yes, and the case actually looks quite nice in this orientation and takes us less desk space. However, I briefly tested this out during a PUBG session with the GTX 1080 Ti, upon rotating the case onto its side (with case feet on the side to create an 8mm gap to the floor) the GPU temps immediately began to rise and the fans became noticeably louder. After returning the case to its standard position the temps and fan rpm reduced back again.

I didn't record any excact numbers but it was enough of a rise in temps and noise to put me off, I may carry this test out more scientifically once I get some spare time.
yep, that puts me off too! So, if exact numbers are just for me, don't bother... unless is 4SCIENCE (aka, just for the fun of knowing it)

I am much more interested in silence and low temperatures than smaller footprint (what am I doing in this forum then? I don't know, I may seek just the impossible...)!

Will wait for a tower version of yours then... If it will come... And waiting is not a problem as I don't have any need to build a new PC until mid 2019!

troybot

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2018
Hi @K888D, is this project going ahead or are you kept preoccupied with your other smaller projects?

Once the 2080 price eventually drops to sane levels I plan to buy one, but of course my LZ7 wont be able to fit it :)

Cheers

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Hi @K888D, is this project going ahead or are you kept preoccupied with your other smaller projects?

Once the 2080 price eventually drops to sane levels I plan to buy one, but of course my LZ7 wont be able to fit it :)

Cheers

I'm definitely very keen to get this released, the CG7 is our current priority which we are hoping to have available early December. Once that is launched the XTD panels for the LZ7 is my next priority. I expect them to be available in around 2 - 3 months, this is just an estimate though.

troybot

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2018
I'm definitely very keen to get this released, the CG7 is our current priority which we are hoping to have available early December. Once that is launched the XTD panels for the LZ7 is my next priority. I expect them to be available in around 2 - 3 months, this is just an estimate though.
Understood, thanks for the quick response.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
How is 2019 shaping up for the release of this my LZ7 is crying for me to play with it :)

I'm still keen to get this completed asap, currently focusing on the CG7 launch which should hopefully be in the next few weeks. The XTD panels will then become my next priority to hopefully release before the end of Q1 or early Q2 2019.