Production Lazer3D - LZ XTD - Alternative Designs

hmnzr

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2019
I've ordered mine with fusion panel already, can I also purchase vent top panel additionally for cooling experiments?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I've ordered mine with fusion panel already, can I also purchase vent top panel additionally for cooling experiments?
Did you order from OcUK? You can order all the individual parts here:

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Directly from your website, Overclockers don’t ship to Thailand unfortunately

Email me what panels your after to kevin@lazer3d.com and I can sort you out a quote. If you've already placed an order for the XTD then we should just be able to add them to your order to save on shipping costs, just let me know your order number as well.

Reactions: hmnzr

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Got mine delivered yesterday, but it looks like I messed up the configurator and got the wrong right panel (defaulted to full I/O, meant to get Vandal). So I have a different panel coming in on Friday, the shipping from overclockers to the US is really fast, and if you are like me and never home when DHL arrives, I would look into opting into a signature release ahead of time so they can just leave the package at your door (or a service center for security if you prefer). I went here: https://delivery.dhl.com/on-demand-delivery.xhtml?ctrycode=US and clicked manage shipment as guest.

rapidshrub

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
Got mine today. As @Reldey said, the shipping from Overclockers to the US is extremely fast. I placed my order Sunday and received it on Wednesday.

The Noctua NH-C14S contacts the PSU (sfx) with both my MSI B450I and Aorus B450 I, rotated 180 degrees it hits the rear panel. This cooler might fit with an Intel CPU with the socket near the top of the board, assuming you can mount it in any direction. I knew this cooler was going to be a tight fit so I'm not too upset. I have a Scythe Choten on the way that I'm going to test out this weekend and if that doesn't work I'll just use a Noctua NH-U9S.

Last edited:

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2018
Hey,

I received my LZ7 XTD yesterday. My overall impression is very good, building in the case is not hard, I only have a few nitpicks about the whole thing. I've got a fully black case with a "smoked" side panel to show off the GPU, and the "XL Vent" top to improve its airflow. My system specs are: MSI B450i, AMD Ryzen 3700X, AMD RX 5700XT (reference card), Noctua U9S, an additional Noctua fan for exhaust and a Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex for intake.

Assembly impressions:

There are no separate instructions for the LZ7 XTD, you just get the same booklet as comes with the LZ7, and an additional sheet which highlights the differences. Unfortunately the additional sheet doesn't make it obvious when you should do each of the tasks listed on it in relation to the steps in the LZ7 booklet, which leads to some funny situations. Also, the original LZ7 instructions do not take into account that you might be working with a tower cooler, which makes the order of some steps awkward.

This is not Lazer3D's fault, I'm pretty sure it would've been smoother if I were a more experienced PC builder. Just in case this helps anyone, I'll give you a list of the gripes I had:
  • There is a step which instructs you to screw the fully assembled ITX board into the case. So I assembled my ITX board including the tower cooler and everything, only to find out that now there are some connectors on the board which I can't reach. So I ended up disassembling the right side panel in order to properly access the fan connectors and the CPU power socket on the board.
  • The "DC/DC" back panel doesn't match the one on the picture. According to the picture it should have two different slots for the AC power plug, but mine had only one, at the more inconvenient location. I had some trouble finding a good way to arrange the AC power cable.
  • The booklet suggests that you can mount the fan grill either on the inside or the outside of the right side panel, but it turns out that if I mount it on the inside, then the fan blades of the Ultra Sleek Vortex end up hitting the grill. So I had to re-mount the grill on the outside.
  • If you want to mount an exhaust fan on the "DC/DC" back panel, do that at the very end of the build, otherwise it makes it hard to screw the AC power plug in place, and it may prevent you from reaching some connectors. In total, I had to unmount that fan like 2-3 times before I got everything right.
Inserting the GPU and placing the left, front and top panels is pretty painless. I would recommend to plug in your computer and turn it on for testing,
before you finish the case. Since I don't use a 2.5" drive (just an M.2), I ended up not needing the panel on which these are supposed to be mounted. This allowed me to have a significantly less messy cable situation, since I was able to tuck most of the cables behind the SFX PSU. I'm sure there is a special place in hell for the people who invented these PSU cables, though.

After assembling the case:

I didn't realize that such a powerful computer can be this small. Especially with the stand, the LZ7 XTD takes up very little space. It can easily be placed on a desk. (I don't think it would take up much space even without the stand.) If you take some extra care to obstruct the fans as little as possible, you'll get a case with excellent air flow.

With my previous case, I had issues with the Ryzen going up to 80-85 C. In the LZ7 XTD, even if I set the fans to a relatively low RPM, it barely reaches 70 C, and that only after several minutes of all-core load. The idle temperature is 35-40 C, though like I said I set my fans to a lower RPM when the system is not under load. I'm impressed. I believe that this air cooling would work for more powerful processors just as well.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Started to build it tonight after my replacement side panel came in, and it looks like the black M3 8mm screws used to hold the metal blocks in place for the PSU weren't included in my box, instead I have some much longer silver M3 screws that were bagged alongside the metal blocks. The plastic screw box that came with the case didn't have them in there either. Not sure if I just missed them somehow, but I guess I'll have to source them from somewhere else.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Started to build it tonight after my replacement side panel came in, and it looks like the black M3 8mm screws used to hold the metal blocks in place for the PSU weren't included in my box, instead I have some much longer silver M3 screws that were bagged alongside the metal blocks. The plastic screw box that came with the case didn't have them in there either. Not sure if I just missed them somehow, but I guess I'll have to source them from somewhere else.
The black M3x8mm screws should be in the same bag as the metal blocks and power cable?

I am very sorry if they are missing. Please DM me and I can arrange to send some out to you.

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
Guys, what is this? So many people getting their cases but not a single picture!! Cmon!!!! You can do better!!!

Reactions: K888D

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2018
Started to build it tonight after my replacement side panel came in, and it looks like the black M3 8mm screws used to hold the metal blocks in place for the PSU weren't included in my box, instead I have some much longer silver M3 screws that were bagged alongside the metal blocks.

Those M3 8mm screws should be in the same plastic bag as the metal blocks (and not in the small box). They are hard to distinguish from the M2.5 screws, so I almost mistook them myself.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
They are hard to distinguish from the M2.5 screws, so I almost mistook them myself.

Yeah it was hard decision to do this and something I wanted to avoid, but unfortunately I couldn't source a suitable metal block that uses M2.5 threaded holes. There is a not on the upgrade instruction sheet that helps to identify the different screws and what parts of the case they are used on.

PetiteEnclosureEU

Efficiency Noob
Sep 18, 2019
Do any cards above reference size fit? I don't want to buy a case that doesn't support powerful future GPUs only because a reference 3080ti turns out to be 10mm longer than a 2080ti one.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Do any cards above reference size fit? I don't want to buy a case that doesn't support powerful future GPUs only because a reference 3080ti turns out to be 10mm longer than a 2080ti one.
The case is compatible with cards up to 280mm in length, 125mm in height and dual slot. This is 13mm longer than reference and about 15mm taller than reference. Some third party dual slot cards will fit, but not the larger triple slot, triple fan versions.

If NVidia decide to increase the size of their 3000 series cards above reference length, then I'll have some serious thinking to do about the design of future cases!

If you are looking for a case that accommodate larger third party cards then something like the Ncase M1 or Sliger Cerberus may be a better choice for you.

Here are the clearances you have in the LZ7 XTD:

Last edited:

pheonix3330

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 27, 2018
The case is compatible with cards up to 280mm in length, 125mm in height and dual slot. This is 13mm longer than reference and about 15mm taller than reference. Some third party dual slot cards will fit, but not the larger triple slot, triple fan versions.

If NVidia decide to increase the size of their 3000 series cards above reference length, then I'll have some serious thinking to do about the design of future cases!

If you are looking for a case that accommodate larger third party cards then something like the Ncase M1 or Sliger Cerberus may be a better choice for you.

Here are the clearances you have in the LZ7 XTD:

is the 280mm a hard limit? I noticed Gigabytes RTX 2070 SUPER WINDFORCE OC is 280.35mm and i was wondering if that would fit...

Here are the specs from Gigabytes site:

L=280.35 W=116.45 H=40.24 mm

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2018
Guys, what is this? So many people getting their cases but not a single picture!! Cmon!!!! You can do better!!!

Can't speak for the others, but taking a picture would first need me to sort out the mess that is my office desk :p