Stalled Custom_MOD MINI

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
It could be possible to support a full height card with an internal PSU up to 200w if you go with the Meanewll EPP series. Its footprint is small for 150 and 200W, only 77mm x 51mm and it is 30mm tall. It might fit in a space above the GPU provided a standard height around 110mm. You would place the PSU lengthwise, so 110mm plus 51mm still leaves 29mm for the pcie riser connection.
Thanks for idea. But I think Korkin Case will support only Direct Plug DC-DC for these reasons:
- Gigabyte 1070 Mini: 131mm in height
- much better cable management
- less heat
- more simple and cheap case design

Reactions: ricochet

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Speaking from experience, that riser cable will give you some trouble as long as it is when you go to try and cram it into the case. I ordered one from LI-Heat that was 250mm and it is still a little long. I'd look at the HDPlex flex riser maybe.
Thanks for sharing experience. I'll try to cram riser into the case on Friday. I will share results.
What you think about 200mm LiHeat?

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Thanks for sharing experience. I'll try to cram riser into the case on Friday. I will share results.
What you think about 200mm LiHeat?

My graphics card is oriented the same way you test bench layout is set up:

(it's on the far right, you can see where the riser cable humps over and then runs down, underneath the graphics card, and comes up on the right side of the case) Build Log here.

In the above setup, 250mm was perfect, but I recently moved to a smaller case and had space issues. The LiHeat PCI-E connector is pretty thick, so I would take that into account when measuring case dimensions. The HDPlex riser can be folded multiple times so it is whatever length you need it to be and is paper thin. The only thing to look out for there is that the PCI-E connector (female-male-female) is a little bulky and you have to make sure you account for that in the design. Also on my card you can see there is a heat pipe protruding past the top of the card, with stiff risers you have to watch out for that wanting to push the card to the right. Here is another pic from a slightly different angle. I can take more pics tonight if you are curious how the 250mm one is set up. There are also three type of connector angles for the LiHeat risers.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Overall height must be 38mm. 29mm from the top of the m/b 24-pin ATX power connector.
Space from the edge of the motherboard to the front panel is ~10mm. And space from edge of the m/b 24-pin ATX power connector to the edge of the motherboard is 2-3mm.
HDPLEX is too tall and too thick.
PicoPSU 160W overall height - 36mm (photo).
There is a solution for the use of any sized DC-ATX Direct-Plug...

Solution: Use a short 24-pin ATX Extension Cable!

Yes, ~45mm. And yes, with LP graphics card you can use HDPLEX 80W AC-DC or HDPLEX 300W DC-DC. I just need to drill some holes for you.
Excellent, just need to add a dual DC input/C14 AC input on the backside, somewhere... would require moving the power button though... have you thought about using iFrielicht's RGB Vandal Button and somehow integrating it on the front along with your logo?

So on the backside I could have my Asus Xonar DX LP Sound Card (via riser); HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX Direct-Plug (via short ATX extension cable); HDPLEX 80W Internal AC-DC adapter; and 2.5 SSD (affixed via double sided velcro tape)

Last edited:

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Thanks for idea. But I think Korkin Case will support only Direct Plug DC-DC for these reasons:
- Gigabyte 1070 Mini: 131mm in height
- much better cable management
- less heat
- more simple and cheap case design

I highly doubt you'll be having any thermal concerns based on your awesome and very airy honeycomb design ;-)

Have you mulled over the idea of having a smaller honeycomb pattern on the front panel of the case as well? That would add even more ventilation and might add to the theme.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Any diagrams/pics yet of your expansion slot bracket design for affixing GPUs/Sound Cards? As in where is the bracket to screw into?

yawacool

Average Stuffer
Li-Heat
Feb 1, 2017
www.liheat.com.tw

My graphics card is oriented the same way you test bench layout is set up:

(it's on the far right, you can see where the riser cable humps over and then runs down, underneath the graphics card, and comes up on the right side of the case) Build Log here.

In the above setup, 250mm was perfect, but I recently moved to a smaller case and had space issues. The LiHeat PCI-E connector is pretty thick, so I would take that into account when measuring case dimensions. The HDPlex riser can be folded multiple times so it is whatever length you need it to be and is paper thin. The only thing to look out for there is that the PCI-E connector (female-male-female) is a little bulky and you have to make sure you account for that in the design. Also on my card you can see there is a heat pipe protruding past the top of the card, with stiff risers you have to watch out for that wanting to push the card to the right. Here is another pic from a slightly different angle. I can take more pics tonight if you are curious how the 250mm one is set up. There are also three type of connector angles for the LiHeat risers.

Hi I'm Li-Heat Willer Chen

We have updated the cables
Become thinner and softer

Our new cable width is only 57mm in thickness 1.8mm
Rated current:
12V = 2.4A;
3.3V = 1.4 + 0.4A,
(No additional power socket of the graphics card, do not use)

Detailed technical information
http://cryinginthenight68.wixsite.com/liheat

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016

Hi I'm Li-Heat Willer Chen

We have updated the cables
Become thinner and softer

Our new cable width is only 57mm in thickness 1.8mm
Rated current:
12V = 2.4A;
3.3V = 1.4 + 0.4A,
(No additional power socket of the graphics card, do not use)

Detailed technical information
http://cryinginthenight68.wixsite.com/liheat

Awesome! Knew you guys were working on a revision, didn't know it was finished yet. Do you have measurements on the height of the new connector (from bottom of PCB to top of PCI-E slot)?

Welcome to the forums, I've enjoyed my riser a lot!

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
We have three types (A.D.B)
You can use as needed
I see that your design needs a very low altitude
Use of B.type is ideal

Wow, updated cables are awesome. I want to see something lke this in standart package of my case. I'll definitely test it in the nearest time. What lenght and type do you recommend for my design? I think about type D and 300.

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
There is a solution for the use of any sized DC-ATX Direct-Plug...
Solution: Use a short 24-pin ATX Extension Cable!
Yes, this can be a good solution for your requirements.

Excellent, just need to add a dual DC input/C14 AC input on the backside, somewhere... would require moving the power button though... have you thought about using iFrielicht's RGB Vandal Button and somehow integrating it on the front along with your logo?

So on the backside I could have my Asus Xonar DX LP Sound Card (via riser); HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX Direct-Plug (via short ATX extension cable); HDPLEX 80W Internal AC-DC adapter; and 2.5 SSD (affixed via double sided velcro tape)

I plan to move power button to the front or top panel in final version.
As for dual DC input/C14 AC input on the backside. We can discuss this and I can do some customization for you.

Any diagrams/pics yet of your expansion slot bracket design for affixing GPUs/Sound Cards? As in where is the bracket to screw into?
I'll share many pics next week.

Have you mulled over the idea of having a smaller honeycomb pattern on the front panel of the case as well? That would add even more ventilation and might add to the theme.
I'll think about it

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Yes, this can be a good solution for your requirements.
Will be interested in seeing which riser you end up recommending for your case... especially with my sound card.

I plan to move power button to the front or top panel in final version.
Top panel... that would be interesting and unique.

A few questions:

Case Feet?

What does the CD logo represent?

The case will be matte black but will there be any accent colors anywhere like on the motherboard plate? Maybe having that red as in your diagrams would be a cool signature look for your honeycomb case.

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Case Feet?

What does the CD logo represent?

The case will be matte black but will there be any accent colors anywhere like on the motherboard plate?

Case Feet - some local sfuff. I'll share photos later.
CD logo represent Custom MOD (UA). Guys, who implement this project. They make many great stuff.
You can choose custom color of your case, when you make pre-order.