Completed Knarr: ~12L case with a focus on liquid cooling and aesthetics

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Hi Everyone.

So it has been a while and I have been MIA. I apologize. It has been really hard getting this together and having all the details worked out but I am happy to say we finally have a contract manufacturer and we just received our preproduction units. Everything looks great, the finish is excellent, and in my limited testing so far the critical components (motherbaord / gpu) fit very well.

The wood is definitely not a structural element anymore, Its present for aesthetic reasons and the case is extremely solid even without it. It is screwed on and user-removeable; thus replaceable with whatever you want. The ventilation we ended up going with is slightly larger holes on a bigger stagger for manufacturing reasons.

There have been aesthetic changes, its still just slightly early to share though but im hoping within a month or so to start a new thread on here with the official final design and details!

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I finally after a year and a half after getting a prototype finally built it.

I am having a weird issue, but not sure what is causing it. It crashes to a full system restart. I upgraded to a 5600x and to different ram, so I'm not sure if that is the issue or if it is motherboard cooling (specifically up near the MOSFETs/vrms)

But here is is in all it's splendor (I have new cables coming because I didn't measure them properly the 1st time)

ASRock b450 itx ac
R5-5600x
32gb gskill ddr4 3200 cl16
Custom aio (dual 60mmx45mm thick rad, with eisbaer lt, and dual sunon fans)
Sf600 80+ gold
Alienware 2080ti with id-cooling icekimo vga 240, + 2x thermal take tough fans
2tb SanDisk 2.5" ssd
1tb Intel 660p nvme ssd

I plan to 3d print a gpu shroud cover to cover the wires underneath it and make it look more minimal.

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
I finally after a year and a half after getting a prototype finally built it.

I am having a weird issue, but not sure what is causing it. It crashes to a full system restart. I upgraded to a 5600x and to different ram, so I'm not sure if that is the issue or if it is motherboard cooling (specifically up near the MOSFETs/vrms)

But here is is in all it's splendor (I have new cables coming because I didn't measure them properly the 1st time)

ASRock b450 itx ac
R5-5600x
32gb gskill ddr4 3200 cl16
Custom aio (dual 60mmx45mm thick rad, with eisbaer lt, and dual sunon fans)
Sf600 80+ gold
Alienware 2080ti with id-cooling icekimo vga 240, + 2x thermal take tough fans
2tb SanDisk 2.5" ssd
1tb Intel 660p nvme ssd

I plan to 3d print a gpu shroud cover to cover the wires underneath it and make it look more minimal.

That looks really good!

I have had an issue with the first prototype as well that appeared after some months of use. Check your PCIe riser cable. The indent in the wood for it to make the bend is a wee bit narrow and I found that the wood has creased the PCIe cable which started causing failures like you describe. I thought my gpu was failing at first but after trying it without the cable on an open bench it worked fine.

The latest prototypes address this by having a through hole for the cable so nothing pinches it. It could also be remedied with a 180 degree cable at the gpu end. We are exploring cable choices to make sure we include a robust solution with production units.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
That looks really good!

I have had an issue with the first prototype as well that appeared after some months of use. Check your PCIe riser cable. The indent in the wood for it to make the bend is a wee bit narrow and I found that the wood has creased the PCIe cable which started causing failures like you describe. I thought my gpu was failing at first but after trying it without the cable on an open bench it worked fine.

The latest prototypes address this by having a through hole for the cable so nothing pinches it. It could also be remedied with a 180 degree cable at the gpu end. We are exploring cable choices to make sure we include a robust solution with production units.
Initially it wouldn't boot, but after pulled the riser out, it booted fine, so when I put it back in, I didn't screw it in all the way. And it seemed to help.

What doesn't help is my GPU aio orientation. Since it's an aio the tubes come straight out, and can't be modified w/o a new rad. This causes the tubes to bend and push the card towards the glass side panel. It's not touching it, but it's definitely not optimal. I could mount it with the tubes up, but I didn't want to (that could shorten the lifespan of the rad as the air bubbles will be near the top and the tubes, which could easily get sucked into the pump and cause issues). I did refill the aio after about 2 years of use in my previous case(added about 1/2 oz of distilled water)

Also if I place the tubes at the top it won't look as nice, and would impede airflow more. But it would allow the GPU to sit more straight.

I'm going with an aio, since I feel more comfortable with AIO's than full custom loops.

I did see this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002468699267.html? But I think the 309mm it too big (with a single SATA 2.5 drive). It would require a you block, but could work, in theory.

Last edited:

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Initially it wouldn't boot, but after pulled the riser out, it booted fine, so when I put it back in, I didn't screw it in all the way. And it seemed to help.

What doesn't help is my GPU aio orientation. Since it's an aio the tubes come straight out, and can't be modified w/o a new rad. This causes the tubes to bend and push the card towards the glass side panel. It's not touching it, but it's definitely not optimal. I could mount it with the tubes up, but I didn't want to (that could shorten the lifespan of the rad as the air bubbles will be near the top and the tubes, which could easily get sucked into the pump and cause issues). I did refill the aio after about 2 years of use in my previous case(added about 1/2 oz of distilled water)

Also if I place the tubes at the top it won't look as nice, and would impede airflow more. But it would allow the GPU to sit more straight.

I'm going with an aio, since I feel more comfortable with AIO's than full custom loops.

I did see this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002468699267.html? But I think the 309mm it too big (with a single SATA 2.5 drive). It would require a you block, but could work, in theory.
I think youll have a much better time with tubes at the top. It will not shorten the lifespan of the rad as it has no moving parts. Air shouldnt get sucked into your pump, there just isnt enough flow rate in an AIO for that to be a real issue. So long at the pump isnt the topmost component (which it isnt) your air bubble will not settle in the pump.

That integrated pump rad combo is very curious! You are however right i dont think it would fit.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I think youll have a much better time with tubes at the top. It will not shorten the lifespan of the rad as it has no moving parts. Air shouldnt get sucked into your pump, there just isnt enough flow rate in an AIO for that to be a real issue. So long at the pump isnt the topmost component (which it isnt) your air bubble will not settle in the pump.

That integrated pump rad combo is very curious! You are however right i dont think it would fit.
If I put the tubes at the top there will be a lot of clutter since the tubes are so long. :(

Just found this model of pcie riser with 108mm hole spacing.( Which is what this prototype used) Available on amazon (ships from china) or from AliExpress.

Otherwise I could this "20cm with right angle"
Then 3d print a right angle adapter to acre the horizontal pcb to the vertical mount.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Another small update while I wait for magnets to arrive for testing. I was unhappy with the GPU retention bracket as it does not actually screw into the gpu at all and the GPU is quite loose and wabbly. I designed and 3d printed a replacement bracket for the original v1 case to test that screws both into the case and the GPU. I am much more happy with it, it hold the card a lot more securely. Will propagate this into v2.

Do you have the stl for this?

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
In the event that it is my vrm/mosfet/power deliver on the Mobo causing issues I added a 4010 fan and some extra heatsinks. Doubt it'll help since the fan is about 7mm from the 60mm rad.

Also modified the GPU cooler to have the tubes come out the bottom, then flipped the rad so the tubes are on top. It fits better in the case now, still a little off. Gotta test it to see if it works :)

Edit: still crashes with the glass on. Going to wait for the new pcie cable, the ADT Link r33uf-TD-bk4.0 with custom length of 185mm since @Shatrod mentioned it may be the pcie extension cable (bought this for the straight male connector and 360°/reverse female connector). If that doesn't fix the issue, then I think I need a new motherboard. Or different ram. It's possible that it's my fittings on the eisbaer LT solo just touching the left ram stick, and thus not being seated 100% perfectly, but it's only pressed about 1mm so I don't think that's the issue, but it's possible.

Last edited:

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Link is dead/ error 404

Found thing 4936774, and 4936776 but nothing for 4936775 :/ thingiverse sucks sometimes, could you post on thangs or dm/email me the stl?
DM me your email? Il just email the STL.

I hope that cable works for you. Do let me know. I'm looking at the linkup version of the same thing right now with the straight male to 180 female ends.

This may be too early to ask, but when do you think we would be able to purchase a case?

We are targeting mid November. I don't want to promise a date without knowing for sure. Need to do some test builds soon, finalize on the wood, maybe make minor design tweaks, and then commit to volume. Should take about a month to manufacture once we "hit play" so to speak

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
DM me your email? Il just email the STL.

I hope that cable works for you. Do let me know. I'm looking at the linkup version of the same thing right now with the straight male to 180 female ends.

We are targeting mid November. I don't want to promise a date without knowing for sure. Need to do some test builds soon, finalize on the wood, maybe make minor design tweaks, and then commit to volume. Should take about a month to manufacture once we "hit play" so to speak
Just a heads up when most companies(ADT Link and link-up) say "180°" for the pcie cable they refer to a straight cable. For what I got, and what I pictured, they consider it a "360°" or "reversed" connector. The angle of the connector is relative to the cable coming in to said connection point. So the 180° continues straight in-line with the cable. Just wanted to clarify. These 180°/straight male end(connection to Mobo) to 360°/reversed female ends(connection to GPU) are difficult to come buy, but the ADT Link one I ordered was significantly cheaper than the link-up alternative, (about 40 shipped from china for the ADT, and about 70-80 from link-up via their site or Amazon). And both claim to be pcie 4.0 compliant.

Definitely will do. I think I'm just going to upgrade boards, since I just got a $100 amazon gift card from my bank, so I think a new board will be my little treat. Probably the gigabyte b550i pro ax since the vrm cooling (according to optimum tech on YT) is great, and it has a plate on the back of the board to help dissipate heat. May go with the Asus b550 for active vrm cooling fan though... Not sure yet.

Will you still be partnering with artisan builds?

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Hi everyone. I have marked this thread as completed as I have created a new post following what this project has become.

I will be actively maintaining the Pluto thread going forward. Thank you all for your support :)