Completed Knarr: ~12L case with a focus on liquid cooling and aesthetics

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018

Is this "pluto" yours? (Pictures above are a different case, see quote blow)

Please note these pictures are for a prototype and the production version may differ.

Pluto is an ~11L (11.1-11.3 in prototype stage) SFF case forged from anodized aluminum and powder coated steel that that seeks to avoid certain conventions in order to define its own. With a daring bit of engineering, the exterior unibody shell unlatches without tools and can be peeled open using the natural spring of aluminum. This allows the exterior of the case to be made from a single piece of seamless metal, decreasing the use of screws and reducing production costs. *Prototype currently shows magnetic closure.

Inside, by focusing on water cooling, Pluto manages to fit 2x full size 240mm AIOs or fan-filled rads at the same time, along with GPUs up to (around) 300mm in length, at up to 2.5 slots in thickness. Without AIOs, 4 120mm fans can be used. And in either scenario, 2 60mm fans fill the rear panel of Pluto. With a focus on airflow throughout the chassis, and clear paths for ventilation from front to back and side to side - the top panel is allowed to remain closed. Above, the exterior is topped with a piece of hardwood available in multiple species such as maple and walnut. Wooden feet may optionally be used underneath.

Artesian Builds is currently finishing prototyping and Pluto will be available later in the fall of 2020.

Because if not, someone looks like they are taking your design...

Reactions: Shatrod

Dynamite

Trash Compacter
Apr 20, 2018
So. Community question. I spoke with the engineers and we can resolve all our woes if we just make the aluminum fully perforated. By using pre perforated stock. Think fractal design meshify c but on all sides. I'm a little concerned about how this would look and I can't model it, too many holes, computer crashes.

I was promised it can be made finger safe.

Thoughts?

I've been following this project for some time now, mostly because I love the form factor that you've com up with. The footprint is small, vertical, and can fit a variety of off-the-shelf hardware or allow a custom loop with full view of the motherboard and GPU.

That being said, the custom touches like the design of the aluminum panels and wood top were really exciting. I think most of the hobbyists in this forum would rather pay more for a unique design. I think the fully perforated panels are a step in the wrong direction from the design perspective, but I understand that manufacturing perforated aluminum panels with precision can be really difficult.

I am most interested in a windowed version. Is it possible to render a version with a fully perforated side panel but a windowed main panel? This might be less taxing, computationally.

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
I've been following this project for some time now, mostly because I love the form factor that you've com up with. The footprint is small, vertical, and can fit a variety of off-the-shelf hardware or allow a custom loop with full view of the motherboard and GPU.

That being said, the custom touches like the design of the aluminum panels and wood top were really exciting. I think most of the hobbyists in this forum would rather pay more for a unique design. I think the fully perforated panels are a step in the wrong direction from the design perspective, but I understand that manufacturing perforated aluminum panels with precision can be really difficult.

I am most interested in a windowed version. Is it possible to render a version with a fully perforated side panel but a windowed main panel? This might be less taxing, computationally.
I will try. At present after talking with the factory we decided on a fully perf panel with thin solid aluminum welded on top to preserve the aesthetic. It looks good. Il post a couple renders today.

The windowed side panel however has become somewhat of a huge problem. I need to come up with a way to attach glass to this. It will definitely have visible screws. Glass is very hard to work with generally. Plexiglass is a bit of a no no because it scratches and squeaks under some vibration.

Tabtree

Chassis Packer
Apr 13, 2020
I agree with many of the things that dynamite said, and I also think that the welding of metal on top of the perforation could give rise to interesting looking side panels. Could something like the h500 glass panel be done where the screw is towards the back? I'm guessing that that would be far too much of a hassle...

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
I agree with many of the things that dynamite said, and I also think that the welding of metal on top of the perforation could give rise to interesting looking side panels. Could something like the h500 glass panel be done where the screw is towards the back? I'm guessing that that would be far too much of a hassle...
Basically no we cant do that because that requires adhering aluminum to glass. Its clearly possible but i dont know how and thats a layer of complexity that i am not willing to undertake.

I did come up with a way that is maybe promising. I put my computer through its paces today and came up with these for you. This is latest concept art if you will. All in all its slow progress with long turn around time with the factory and things generally not working out smoothly.

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Work has slowed down on this because my actual job has been requiring a lot of attention. But its not abandoned. I will try my best to update as soon as there is some substantial movement on the next prototypes

sfxbajan

Average Stuffer
Dec 4, 2017
Yes keep up the good work.

Still would like to know why more people don't like this layout or why it isn't more common. It gives you the best of both worlds.

Reactions: Poblopuablo

youngdocument

Trash Compacter
Nov 15, 2018
Just here to +1 this case design. Looking forward to seeing the final version whether it's the Artesian Builds Pluto or something else!

CAA

Chassis Packer
Aug 2, 2020
I love the layout of this case. Been looking for a Sunmilo BG3 for awhile without luck unfortunately and the Xoild 13 on this forum seems to be a bust as well. Just wished this case was made completely out of aluminum. I think more people would like it as well. The wood is nice and all, but I use my cases for years and years and want it to last. Nothing beats all metal construction in my experience (I still have a CoolerMaster ATCS!) and all aluminum never goes out of style. The wood bonding to metal seems like asking for trouble in my opinion. Glue will fail, temperature and humidity differences will mess up the wood, especially over the tons of heat cycles that modern components put out. Keep it simple and make it all metal. If you really like the wood appearance, you can always wrap it. Just my honest opinion.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I love the layout of this case. Been looking for a Sunmilo BG3 for awhile without luck unfortunately and the Xoild 13 on this forum seems to be a bust as well. Just wished this case was made completely out of aluminum. I think more people would like it as well. The wood is nice and all, but I use my cases for years and years and want it to last. Nothing beats all metal construction in my experience (I still have a CoolerMaster ATCS!) and all aluminum never goes out of style. The wood bonding to metal seems like asking for trouble in my opinion. Glue will fail, temperature and humidity differences will mess up the wood, especially over the tons of heat cycles that modern components put out. Keep it simple and make it all metal. If you really like the wood appearance, you can always wrap it. Just my honest opinion.
There is the possibility of the lazer3d's st12. It's not metal, but another option with a similar layout, (without wood).

CAA

Chassis Packer
Aug 2, 2020
I know wood is the primary material that makes this case standout, but honestly I think the case would appeal to more people if it were made entirely out of aluminum. Durability is questionable and I don't think the wood would age very well. Perhaps it would be cheaper too? Plus a lot of people would prefer a certain grain or wood color to fit their desk or room. Too many variables. I say just make the top and bottom panels out of thick aluminum that can be user removed via countersunk screws and if people want wood, they can wrap it with their choice of material or pattern. Unlimited customizability. Anyone can wrap a solid, flat, rectangular panel with ease. All aluminum construction would make the case much more durable and last for years.

Side note: Although I like the perforations, I think there are too many. Maybe just make ventilation holes on where there should be ventilation? Would add to the look since you can play around with patterns instead of a generic whole panel of holes.

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
Work has slowed down on this because my actual job has been requiring a lot of attention. But its not abandoned. I will try my best to update as soon as there is some substantial movement on the next prototypes
Hi! Is there any news?