Completed Knarr: ~12L case with a focus on liquid cooling and aesthetics

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Ordered the aluminum side panels redone from a different manufacturer with more appropriate equipment. This is an unplanned two week delay unfortunately

Reactions: Poblopuablo

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
And another quick update. While I wait for the aluminum, powder coated the frames and did some test fitting.

I am happy to report, you can fit a 240mm aio above the motherboard, with standard 25mm thick fans. I don't have a second 240mm aio but we already know it fits next to the motherboard on the back panel so dual 240mm aio, both with standard fans, tentatively confirmed.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
And another quick update. While I wait for the aluminum, powder coated the frames and did some test fitting.

I am happy to report, you can fit a 240mm aio above the motherboard, with standard 25mm thick fans. I don't have a second 240mm aio but we already know it fits next to the motherboard on the back panel so dual 240mm aio, both with standard fans, tentatively confirmed.

This case suddenly became a lot more interesting. Now there's hope for a real custom loop!

Reactions: Shatrod

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Folks. Another update! I got the aluminum paneling redone and it looks excellent! There is a very slight bow in the side panels. I am confident that if we introduce screws into the design in lieu of magents it should hold the panel on straight.

Next steps:
1) Glue the magnets to these prototypes. Mill the wood. Do some final assembly. Do a bunch of hardware fitment tests to build a compatibility list.

2) change the design slightly to accept screws for all the panels. They will be countersunk and flush.

3) order 4 complete prototypes from the new manufacturer to check for consistency as well as finish quality. The complete prototypes will be punched, cnc bent, assembled, and powdercoated. The aluminum will be brushed and anodized. The only thing the manufacturer can not take care of is the wood work but that is something we knew going in already.

Provided all that goes according to plan and i don't need design tweaks after step 3, I will commit to 100 units.

A question for the community. Currently I have planned for natural silver and dark grey anodize (as you saw in the renders) however a lot of headache can be avoided if instead of the dark grey we just go for black. This is because in order to achieve dark grey we would be anodizing in black but not leaving it in the dye bath long enough to become actually black. This introduces consistency concerns. There is a chance that one panel may be slightly darker or lighter than the rest if it was not part of the same batch. What are your thoughts on this? Black would also help hide the black screws better but we would need to find a darker wood than walnut to go well with it.

I have also chosen to rename the project to "Pluto SFF" and will be starting a new thread for it once all is complete.

Last edited:

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Folks. Another update! I got the aluminum paneling redone and it looks excellent! There is a very slight bow in the side panels. I am confident that if we introduce screws into the design in lieu of magents it should hold the panel on straight.

Next steps:
1) Glue the magnets to these prototypes. Mill the wood. Do some final assembly. Do a bunch of hardware fitment tests to build a compatibility list.

2) change the design slightly to accept screws for all the panels. They will be countersunk and flush.

3) order 4 complete prototypes from the new manufacturer to check for consistency as well as finish quality. The complete prototypes will be punched, cnc bent, assembled, and powdercoated. The aluminum will be brushed and anodized. The only thing the manufacturer can not take care of is the wood work but that is something we knew going in already.

Provided all that goes according to plan and i don't need design tweaks after step 3, I will commit to 100 units.

A question for the community. Currently I have planned for natural silver and dark grey anodize (as you saw in the renders) however a lot of headache can be avoided if instead of the dark grey we just go for black. This is because in order to achieve dark grey we would be anodizing in black but not leaving it in the dye bath long enough to become actually black. This introduces consistency concerns. There is a chance that one panel may be slightly darker or lighter than the rest if it was not part of the same batch. What are your thoughts on this? Black would also help hide the black screws better but we would need to find a darker wood than walnut to go well with it.

I have also chosen to rename the project to "Pluto SFF" and will be starting a new thread for it once all is complete.

Looks fantastic, can't wait to see a test build out.

Reactions: Shatrod

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018

Next steps:

Go with black. In such a small run, anything you can do to avoid QC problems should be taken.

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Yes!

I partnered up with Artesian Builds for distribution and we have been making tweaks for manufacturing. Currently the biggest tweak is how the side panels are designed. This is because the sides that don't have bends in them are ever so slightly warped and we just can't seem to get them straight. All of the design tweaks are intended to keep the case looking the same and are mainly for manufacturability.

Artesian currently has two prototypes I shipped over for hardware fitment tests and we are hoping to order the next round with the design tweaks next week.

There was a significant amount of unplanned downtime as I had to move and didn't have time to work on this but we are back at it now.

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
I partnered up with Artesian Builds for distribution and we have been making tweaks for manufacturing.
Not bad at all. Have the plans changed in any way in connection with this new partnership, I mean the number of cases in the first batch, the estimated price, the availability of the case in the future, the website and the ordering methods?

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Not bad at all. Have the plans changed in any way in connection with this new partnership, I mean the number of cases in the first batch, the estimated price, the availability of the case in the future, the website and the ordering methods?

Nope they have not. Basically a 100 unit batch is The minimum amount to keep it reasonably priced. It is likely to also be available again after the first batch. Well depending on how well the first batch goes.

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Hi everyone.

I changed this thread to stalled for the time being and wanted to update everyone on what has been going on.

We changed fabricators to a US based company as opposed to Canada because it works out better logistically and costs wise. Import and export duties can be avoided this way. This also triggered more design updates to facilitate the tooling available at the new fabricator. We are still very much working on it but a September timeline no longer seems likely.

Some design updates include relocating the power button to the front to reduce complexity and a redesign of the side panels. We are trying to make one aluminum sheet wrap around the whole case as opposed to separate panels to eliminate issues with consistency, warping, and fitment. This has proven to be extremely challenging to do on semi-perforated aluminum.

We are also trying to affix all the wood to the case with screws as opposed to glue as this is a much friendlier assembly process.

Tabtree

Chassis Packer
Apr 13, 2020
Thanks for the update; excited to see that the project is going strong! Are you still working with Artesian Builds for distribution? Have any tolerances changed since you changed the manufacturing process?

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
I am still working with Artesian Builds yes. I have not changed any tolerances in the design but we have yet to try to prototype with the new manufacturer. Internally the dimensions have not changed, although the second radiator supports are getting redone to reduce complexity as well. Overall compatibility should stay the same. Will be great for a FE 3080 actually.

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
New factory got back to me today and said they basically just can't make one of the parts. The aluminum. I'm trying to talk to their engineers to see what's up and what needs to happen

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
So. Community question. I spoke with the engineers and we can resolve all our woes if we just make the aluminum fully perforated. By using pre perforated stock. Think fractal design meshify c but on all sides. I'm a little concerned about how this would look and I can't model it, too many holes, computer crashes.

I was promised it can be made finger safe.

Thoughts?