Completed Knarr: ~12L case with a focus on liquid cooling and aesthetics

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
The dual 240 rad support.... that's a wild idea! On the horizontal rad, will there be room for 2 standard fans underneath it?

For the overlap, I can envision a single fan pulling air through one and pushing it through the other.

The clearance from motherboard pcb to the inside of the bracket is 115.5mm. so assuming a 30mm thick radiator and standard 25mm fans that leaves 60mm let's just say the socket eats up 5 ish... Aios smaller than 55mm should fit underneath or blocks with 90 angled adapters.

Now stuffing the tubes in there!... That is an exercise left to the end user :)

For where the two radiators overlap you can mount two 120mm fans, one on each rad, and still have about a 15mm air gap in between. Hopefully that will reduce some turbulence.

Reactions: scatterforce

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
The clearance from motherboard pcb to the inside of the bracket is 115.5mm. so assuming a 30mm thick radiator and standard 25mm fans that leaves 60mm let's just say the socket eats up 5 ish... Aios smaller than 55mm should fit underneath or blocks with 90 angled adapters.

Now stuffing the tubes in there!... That is an exercise left to the end user :)

For where the two radiators overlap you can mount two 120mm fans, one on each rad, and still have about a 15mm air gap in between. Hopefully that will reduce some turbulence.

Alphacool Eisblock XPX 1U

This should help with those tight spaces. Also, having enough room for a fan on each rad is good to hear.

Reactions: Tabtree

Tabtree

Chassis Packer
Apr 13, 2020
If you have the time, could you post more specification tolerances? My mind is bouncing all over the place with build ideas...

Tabtree

Chassis Packer
Apr 13, 2020
gpu length and width, case width and length, cpu cooler height. Also with the top of case be removable? (for reservoir orientation and stuff)

BILLYKING

Efficiency Noob
New User
Feb 26, 2020
I prefer to mount 1 or 2 90mm fans opposite to the motherboard, rather than 2 mini fans on the back. Mini fans usually are louder and less efficient than larger fans.

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
gpu length and width, case width and length, cpu cooler height. Also with the top of case be removable? (for reservoir orientation and stuff)

gpu length and widths are tricky.
Internally, the space between the front panel and back panel is 305mm, but the space between flanges is 285mm. So GPU smaller or equal to 285mm long fits, between 285 and 300 it may be possible but you will really have to "jimmy it in there" creatively. I maintain the opinion that it can be done but with difficulty. I would like to obtain a REALLY big gpu to try it to asses if i should trim the flanges back or if there is no point. Width from GPU pcb to inside of flange is 50.3 mm (2.5 slot). There is a small gap between the side panel and flange that could afford you an extra 3mm but i figured its best left as an air gap between fans and panel to prevent noise from turbulence. So something like an Asus strix 2080 ti is not going to fit, but an MSI 2080ti Ventus or an EVGA 2080ti XC or a Gigabyte 2080 super gaming OC should fit, (i did not test any of these, just judging by their product dimensions).

Case width and length with side panels is roughly 135mm by 315mm. Roughly because of manufacturing tolerances. I can wish it all I want but no fabricator would be able to hit those dimensions exactly (and be affordable). I reckon +/- 0.5mm at best.

Top of case is not removable. For reservoir fitment here are some things to consider: Internal width is 126mm (give or take). Assuming a 30mm radiator width with 25mm fans that leaves you with 71mm of space, (more if you dont mount behind the flange). This is enough to fit a DDC pump with a reservoir top in front of the fan, above the GPU. The EK offerings (especailly with the smallest reservoirs) would likely work. I Imagine you could definitely fit a Phanteks Glacier R160 in there with a DDC pump somwhere. Either in lieu of the 60mm fans in the back or affixed to the top horizontally (although you would have to get creative with how you attach it). The clearance between MB and internal flange where the 60mm fans are is actually 70mm so you could conceivably mount a DDC there as well instead of a 60mm fan. The 60mm fans have 50 x 50 mm hole spacing, the EK DDC has 49 x 49mm. the holes are big enough, it will fit. My personal favorite, and what I plan to do with mine, is an Aquacomputer Ultitop for a D5 pump with an alphaccol Cape Corp Coolplex Metal reservoir mounted on a pair of rotary 90 degree adapters. That way i can lay the case on its side and "rotate" the reservoir upright for filling and bleeding, then seal it up and tuck it back into the case. Heres a close up render of that (the very white blob is an LED plug, maybe a tad too bright in the render):

I prefer to mount 1 or 2 90mm fans opposite to the motherboard, rather than 2 mini fans on the back. Mini fans usually are louder and less efficient than larger fans.
Could you clarify what you mean by "opposite to the motherboard"? Like above it? facing the vented side panel?

Tabtree

Chassis Packer
Apr 13, 2020
I was planning to use an eisbaer solo pump block. Based on the way things are I'm not sure if I would use a dedicated reservoir or not

Reactions: Shatrod

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Small update for everyone. I got a quote from my manufacturer for the sheet metal work on the new units. It's... more than I had hoped. But I suppose reasonable given there is a lot more panels and bends and work involved in general.

I asked them how it scales with volume to see if it's something I could deliver at a reasonable price as an end product but it's somewhat of an issue. I think it may turn out to be either too expensive for small volumes or I would require volumes so large I doubt I could turn them around.

Reactions: pwnedundies

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Small update for everyone. I got a quote from my manufacturer for the sheet metal work on the new units. It's... more than I had hoped. But I suppose reasonable given there is a lot more panels and bends and work involved in general.

I asked them how it scales with volume to see if it's something I could deliver at a reasonable price as an end product but it's somewhat of an issue. I think it may turn out to be either too expensive for small volumes or I would require volumes so large I doubt I could turn them around.

Out of curiosity, what would be the ballpark price given their low volume estimate?

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Out of curiosity, what would be the ballpark price given their low volume estimate?
I don't feel comfortable putting down a number until it's actually settled. I am working with them to see if there is anything that can be optimized for cost. The end result must be competitive with the current market offerings.

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Small update. Some updates were made to favour the manufacturing process. Visually the case did not change. Waiting now to hear back from the manufacturer on if these optimisations are sound and actually impact the pricing. Additionally, 3d printed gpu bracket removed and replaced with flange from the main frame. The gpu now screws into the frame for more secure holding.

Also rethinking how to attach the wood to the steel frame. Contact cement may potentially be too time consuming.

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
So the optimizations did not affect pricing. It's mainly a complexity issue. Nevertheless I went ahead with ordering 2 prototypes. I will make one in each color. If they turn out good I will be looking to outsource the manufacturing elsewhere to try to get a reasonable quote for reasonable volume.

Eta for the sheet metal work is on the 11th

I am excited.

I will likely keep updating this thread with the build log but once it's done will be starting a new one as the dimensions and look has drifted quite a bit from the original post.

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Update!!!

Picked up the two prototypes today.
So first the good news. The steel frame is perfect. Rivet holes need to be expanded ever so slightly but that's not a problem. It rivets together and is perfectly straight, flush, study, and heavy. A huge departure from the original prototyoes which was quite flimsy. This thing is SOLID.
I tested with motherboard and gpu, everything fits. New gpu mount flange works well and holds the gpu very securely.

Now the bad news. The aluminum side panels are effectively expensive garbage. Pro tip, don't laser cut a matrix of holes. The aluminum expands due to heating from the laser and warps due to uneven heating. They are unusable. I am talking to another factory that has a turret press that *should* make this issue go away. I want to get samples from them to confirm this. Nevertheless I think this is good progress.

Pics:

Now, as always, two steps forward one step back. I really want to reintroduce screws for the side panels. The magnets are fine if I'm making like 4 cases but if I make a run of a 100... It takes me maybe 10 min per case to glue the magnets, that's just unsustainable and I don't know how they will hold up over time especially with repeated heating and cooling. Still thinking this one through though.

Also, with the new prototypes and new learnings I think we can start narrowing down on a target market price. So far, without moving manufacturing overseas (but having a split between Canada and US fabs for different parts) we can probably deliver 100 units at $250 usd. This hinges on actually making 100 units as it's the volume that drives the price.