Completed Knarr: ~12L case with a focus on liquid cooling and aesthetics

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Hey man! Been following this thread for a bit, was especially happy when I saw the reddit post! I think that this case is super cool and I can't wait to see where ti goes. For the LED color I think it looks good on the black and blue models. The grey model looks ok; I think the lighting on the render looks a bit weird to me.
Thanks! I also want to see where it goes.

Tbh I liked the earlier iteration better, the new version just looks like a box with a wooden top. The old version had more flair (classy industrial design flair, not RGB gamer vomit flair).
I hear you. The redesign choices were primarily driven by ease of manufacturing. There is just no way I could mill the wood within the required tolerances repeatedly and in a meaningful quantity. May I ask, what specifically separates a box with a wooden top from a classic industrial design? Is it perhaps the vent pattern? Is this something that could be brought back just by changing the vents to more open large ovals like the picture below? Actually open question to everyone, what kind of vents do you think look good?

.... The placement is the one thing that looks off. Just a little unbalanced is all. But I'm more than willing to hear other's thoughts/opinions. :). Maybe a sideways USB port above would help (although, like mentioned before, I think it would interfere with other component compatiblity)

How about a symmetric top button? I found one that is low profile that i can fit through the wood at the top that would not interfere with components (probably). There is no LED in it, but i can get it stainless steel color or black. I am... still not sold on its placement, will experiment with putting it in the various corners on the top. There is also always the option of putting it on the back out of sight completely....

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Thanks! I also want to see where it goes.

I hear you. The redesign choices were primarily driven by ease of manufacturing. There is just no way I could mill the wood within the required tolerances repeatedly and in a meaningful quantity. May I ask, what specifically separates a box with a wooden top from a classic industrial design? Is it perhaps the vent pattern? Is this something that could be brought back just by changing the vents to more open large ovals like the picture below? Actually open question to everyone, what kind of vents do you think look good?

How about a symmetric top button? I found one that is low profile that i can fit through the wood at the top that would not interfere with components (probably). There is no LED in it, but i can get it stainless steel color or black. I am... still not sold on its placement, will experiment with putting it in the various corners on the top. There is also always the option of putting it on the back out of sight completely....

That placement looks good. But I think something on the front would look nice. Weather that is brushed, or some kind of accent. But again open to hearing others' opinions. :)

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018

Understood on the manufacturing concerns. I imagine the case would have to be much more expensive to make up for all the parts that end up being milled not to spec.

In my opinion, the organic nature of wood is highlighted by rounded corners, sloped edges, etc. With typical metal box cases we get a lot of 90 degree angles, sharp edges, and straight lines connecting with straight lines. Wood helps soften that look up a little bit.

Additionally, on your original design, I liked how the wood had that slight bit of overhang over the metal. It felt like the wood was wrapping around the metal as opposed to this new design where the metal dominates the design. The asymmetric design also helped with the natural feel of the wood incorporation.

Also, the lack of side panel screws + the slide in panel design was so elegant. One of my personal pet peeves is exposed screws on cases.

With the original design I was thinking of using it as an open air case, with Noctua fans on a top flow CPU air cooler and a FE RTX card as the GPU to match the wood and metal of the case. Or, creating a custom cooling loop using the EK Lignum parts. Either way, I think a harmony between wood and metal would be reached. However, with the current design, it feels like the parts are caged into this box, and that sense of harmony is lost.

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Understood on the manufacturing concerns. I imagine the case would have to be much more expensive to make up for all the parts that end up being milled not to spec.

In my opinion, the organic nature of wood is highlighted by rounded corners, sloped edges, etc. With typical metal box cases we get a lot of 90 degree angles, sharp edges, and straight lines connecting with straight lines. Wood helps soften that look up a little bit.

Additionally, on your original design, I liked how the wood had that slight bit of overhang over the metal. It felt like the wood was wrapping around the metal as opposed to this new design where the metal dominates the design. The asymmetric design also helped with the natural feel of the wood incorporation.

Also, the lack of side panel screws + the slide in panel design was so elegant. One of my personal pet peeves is exposed screws on cases.

With the original design I was thinking of using it as an open air case, with Noctua fans on a top flow CPU air cooler and a FE RTX card as the GPU to match the wood and metal of the case. Or, creating a custom cooling loop using the EK Lignum parts. Either way, I think a harmony between wood and metal would be reached. However, with the current design, it feels like the parts are caged into this box, and that sense of harmony is lost.

I definitely agree with some of your points. Unfortunately because the case got wider I can not make the wood wrap around it, but i could potentially make it thicker so the metal does not look as dominant. It would make the whole case bigger but, oh well. For now i decided to compromise and try to make the wood flush with the edges so it does not look like its "in" the top of the case. I like it more this way, although i am concerned about its structural integrity. Let me know what you think of this change.

Cant do much about the screws. I know there is a mounting mechanism with like a ball peg and latch? Like the ncase M1 panels, but i have no idea what it is called or where to source it or how to accurately model it. And more importantly i have no idea how they attach the ball peg to the aluminum but still anodize the aluminum. I would like to use those eventually but it seems just a little bit out of the scope right now.

That placement looks good. But I think something on the front would look nice. Weather that is brushed, or some kind of accent. But again open to hearing others' opinions. :)

I have re-introduced a front asymmetric vent (the trailing hole pattern subject to tweaks) and put the power button in the corner. I think this looks much closer to the original concept and combined with the slightly extended wood recaptures some of the original spirit. A wooden bottom would promote this even more but, it seems a little bit like a waste of material and effort.

All in all i like this version the most so far.

Reactions: Poblopuablo

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I definitely agree with some of your points. Unfortunately because the case got wider I can not make the wood wrap around it, but i could potentially make it thicker so the metal does not look as dominant. It would make the whole case bigger but, oh well. For now i decided to compromise and try to make the wood flush with the edges so it does not look like its "in" the top of the case. I like it more this way, although i am concerned about its structural integrity. Let me know what you think of this change.

Cant do much about the screws. I know there is a mounting mechanism with like a ball peg and latch? Like the ncase M1 panels, but i have no idea what it is called or where to source it or how to accurately model it. And more importantly i have no idea how they attach the ball peg to the aluminum but still anodize the aluminum. I would like to use those eventually but it seems just a little bit out of the scope right now.

I have re-introduced a front asymmetric vent (the trailing hole pattern subject to tweaks) and put the power button in the corner. I think this looks much closer to the original concept and combined with the slightly extended wood recaptures some of the original spirit. A wooden bottom would promote this even more but, it seems a little bit like a waste of material and effort.

All in all i like this version the most so far.

It looks pretty good. :) For compatibility, does the switch interfere with the rad over the motherboard? The somewhat sporadic hold vent on the front looks a little off when looking at the vented side panel. But it would help temps (if back rad is set to exhaust). But it fills out the front and allows for a good aesthetic on the acrylic side panel. Personally I liked the slat design of the original one better, but I don't think it would look right with the hole vent pattern of the vented side panel.

Tabtree

Chassis Packer
Apr 13, 2020
What about a rear power button? That way the front looks clean and it would be able to place it in a weird place that wont stick out in the case

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
It looks pretty good. :) For compatibility, does the switch interfere with the rad over the motherboard? The somewhat sporadic hold vent on the front looks a little off when looking at the vented side panel. But it would help temps (if back rad is set to exhaust). But it fills out the front and allows for a good aesthetic on the acrylic side panel. Personally I liked the slat design of the original one better, but I don't think it would look right with the hole vent pattern of the vented side panel.

No interference with any compatibility :). Somewhat agree about the vent pattern looking off. Edited it slightly. I think its better now. You and JDragon both mentioned the original design looked better in some ways. Personally, i disagree, but I respect your opinions. I whipped up a pair of renders of the old and new side by side so we could look closely and compare :) Curiously, if we measure the original design with the wooden overhangs, it comes out to the same footprint and volume (like half mm difference, within manufacturing tolerance). Removing the overhangs is what allowed the 4mm expansion to internal volume while barely affecting the footprint.

What about a rear power button? That way the front looks clean and it would be able to place it in a weird place that wont stick out in the case
Definitely still on the table, but it is nice having it in easily accessible location. If I go and change the power button again i think i am more likely to make it out of wood and stealth it into the top panel just like the original prototype.

Personally, I think the biggest improvement is covering up the radiator on the side from being exposed. Gives it a much more uniform look.

douglasjhardie

Cable Smoosher
Jan 30, 2019
V2 is gorgeous. I think having the power button on the back would make the case more aesthetically pleasing - but I would be interested in the case either way!

Reactions: Shatrod

polygonalsnow

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 9, 2019
V2 looks good, but I agree that the power button should stay on the front. Also the front vent going top to bottom was a good idea imho, I see what you're going for with the tabs, but think it would look better with full height ventilation.

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
How does everyone feel about magnets to attach the aluminum panels? It would not be structurally sound... You wouldn't be able to lift the case by the side panels probably. But it would eliminate all exterior screws and allow for the vents to extend closer to the top and bottom. Not quite "full height" but closer for sure.

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
v2 is very nice. Power button on the back for slick clean design. If it stay on the front keep it as small as possible. White led please.

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018
Love the front vent pattern on the new design. Reminds me of the Era ITX vent pattern only this case is actually functional.

Still like the wood overhang better but it’s better to have a case that can actually be manufactured. :)

Magnets would be good. This doesn’t feel like the type of case that would need to be portable imo.

I agree with moving the power button somewhere else, it kind of detracts from the wood.

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Thanks for the input everyone! Sorry about a delay in the update, I got side panels for the original prototype laser cut. I updated the second post at the top with a couple completed pictures :). I also did some limited performance testing on it, updated it in third post.

For the v2 redesign, I have magnets on order! Need to test how to "glue" them to the aluminum and make sure the adhesive bond is actually stronger than the magnet pulls to steel. I have great faith in Maine epoxy, but still need to test it before I commit to another round of prototypes. For the power button I will keep it in the top but I will sink it in deeper and give it a wood cover so it should be nearly invisible, just like the original prototype. No led.

I will try to post some updated renders soon

Reactions: JDragon

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Okay here is an updated render.
1) I removed the mounting screws from the panels and frame, because magnets.
2) power button sunk deeper in and given a wood overlay. Its in the same spot, just stealthy
3) wood panels got a small cutout on the sides. This is to aid in removing the side panels and provides a place to grab them and pull away. I also think it looks nice.

Im still tweaking the internals a little but i think i am overall happy with the look of it. After i do some tests on the magnets (whenever they ship... ) and confirm they will work as expected i would probably commit to prototyping the V2.

I am a little concerned about the wood lip, around the perimeter at the top, it is in no way load bearing but it is kind of thin and i imagine would be easy to break if one is not careful. I could just make the wood thicker (and the whole case taller as a result), or I could make the wood attach with magnets also instead of gluing it in place so if it does break you could replace it (but the wood generally warps slightly and i dont think the magnet will counteract this). I could also go back to having the wood "inside" and not flush with the side panels, but there was feedback already that that looks worse. Alternatively I could also just do nothing and leave it as is, perhaps it is an unfounded fear.

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
Make wood thicker a little. Also possible to attach it to a thin metal frame to make it more sturdy. Also wood very different, it may make sense to use stabilized wood to improve the strength characteristics of the top panel. The question is the price of the solution.

Tabtree

Chassis Packer
Apr 13, 2020
I really like the little cutouts on the wood panels, it adds a lot of character to the build. I dont really know that much about wood so I can't comment on that. And this might be a unpopular opinion and kinda against your thoughts on the build but metal top panel for ease of logistics/testing?

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Make wood thicker a little. Also possible to attach it to a thin metal frame to make it more sturdy. Also wood very different, it may make sense to use stabilized wood to improve the strength characteristics of the top panel. The question is the price of the solution.
I really like the little cutouts on the wood panels, it adds a lot of character to the build. I dont really know that much about wood so I can't comment on that. And this might be a unpopular opinion and kinda against your thoughts on the build but metal top panel for ease of logistics/testing?

The top panel is structurally steel. The wood is just glued on top as a decorative element. Uses almost the entire surface area for the glue bond. I am not at all concerned about needing to stabilize it because of that. Just concerned about the overhang where it is not glued to anything.

I will probably mill a test panel and see how fragile it really is.

Tabtree

Chassis Packer
Apr 13, 2020
I think the magnets on the wood is good idea and also allows for versatility too, similar to what Fractal did with the Era ITX