Cooling KMPKT Heatsink and Fan Poll

How much would you pay for a full copper L9i style heatsink and fan (i.e. Fair Market Price)?

• Less than 39.99 USD

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • 39.99 USD

Votes: 19 8.9%
  • 44.99 USD

Votes: 31 14.5%
  • 49.99 USD

Votes: 78 36.4%
  • 54.99 USD

Votes: 29 13.6%
  • Over 54.99 USD

Votes: 47 22.0%

• Total voters

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
43mm, even 44mm, is good on the S4 Mini. 45mm with the IS-VC45 and the packaged fan was noisy at 45mm.
I agree, 43mm and 44mm are good inside the S4.

Just know that if you compare two different fans at 4mm away from the NFS S4 Mini side panel, the IS-VC45's packaged fan is always going to be louder than an NF-A9x14. So you could PROBABLY get away with having the A9x14 closer to the side panel, as any turbulence and whooshing air sounds it may produce would be lower in volume and at a much more tolerable tone.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
92mm x 15mm fan and 28mm tall heatsink from IHS to top of fins. Basically the unit is 5mm taller than the L9i and the extra height is all fin. As of right now the fin height is 24.5mm to the L9i's 18.0mm.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I'd be incredibly happy to work with him in order to share tooling and increase quantities for savings, but when I reached out to him he didn't respond : (
Dang, that sucks! Did you last contact him recently, or a while back? Maybe you could try and contact him again? Maybe PM him on the [H]ardOCP forums, that's where I see him posting actively. You could link him to this thread to show him you're serious about working with him on a new SFF heatsink design. :) Here's hoping he responds!

I really would like either your heatsink/fan or his to come to fruition and best the NHL9i and LP53 in SFF CPU temp performance! Starting a new era of high-performance SFF CPU HSF's, setting a new standard of quality! Lower CPU temps for all!!! :D Maybe even kicking Noctua into gear a bit, forcing them to design a new full-copper competitor? Who knows? :)
92mm x 15mm fan and 28mm tall heatsink from IHS to top of fins. Basically the unit is 5mm taller than the L9i and the extra height is all fin. As of right now the fin height is 24.5mm to the L9i's 18.0mm.
Which 92x15mm fan is it? how does it compare to the NF-A9x14 PWM, specs-wise? Do you have specs or a sample in hand to test yet?

I ask because: If the fan and heatsink you have can truly outperforms the NHL9i and LP53 by a margin worthy of purchase, then I'm fine with upgrading to it right away as early as possible. But as I already have an A9x14... if it's quieter overall than your fan (without a performance loss), I might be tempted to swap your fan with that ugly beige Noctua we all love (lol), in the name of quieter overall operation.

Also, do you have any concept shots of the heatpipes and how they bend/look? How many heatpipes are you planning on? 6 like the AXP-100? 2 like the NHL9i & LP53? or somewhere inbetween, like 4? how thick are they? are they direct contact heatpipes, etc? If it's too early to ask this info, my bad, just let me know and I'll chill out, lol.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Here are 2 coolers with the same specs, but one is copper, one is aluminium,

http://www.dynatron-corp.com/?product=r31-2
http://www.dynatron-corp.com/?product=t318-2

They both show being rated as 165w (which seems too good to be true).

But the copper version weighs twice as much. If they're really equal coolers, why would anyone buy the copper version?

Chrizz

Average Stuffer
Jan 23, 2017

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The actual reason is (I believe) that the largest TDP server CPU in recent generations was an 18 core Xeon back during the Haswell days. That CPU was rated at a TDP of 165W and from a brief search of Intel and AMD processors over the past several years, nothing has a higher TDP than that chip. What that then means is that both of these coolers are rated to cool that chip or anything below it, not that they have a finite capacity to only cool 165W. In reality, the copper cooler probably allows adequate cooling with a lower CFM moving through the case. That would then be a justification for purchasing the copper cooler for your system - lower electricity costs in a server running 24/7.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Which 92x15mm fan is it? how does it compare to the NF-A9x14 PWM, specs-wise? Do you have specs or a sample in hand to test yet?

@CubanLegend sorry I missed your question earlier. I have a pair of custom 92 x 15mm Yate Loon samples being delivered once they are made as well as a fan offered by Deepcool with the same dimensions. I don't have the specs of the Deepcool fan right now, but the Yate Loons are specced as follows:

RPM: 500 - 2600 PWM Controlled
Airflow: 33 CFM
Static Pressure: 2.2 mmHg
Noise Level: 30 dBA
Bearing Type: Sample 1 uses fluid dynamic bearings while sample 2 uses dual ball-bearings. I am hoping one of these two has a noticeably better sound profile than the other.

The reason I am interested in this particular fan (as I think I may have mentioned earlier in this thread) is that the static pressure is much higher than the NF-A9x14 which I am hoping means I can have a denser and higher performing fin stack without a marked increase in noise levels. I realize that the 30 dBA of this fan is twice that of the 20 dBA of the Noctua fan, but I am also hoping that given the higher performance of the fan/heatsink combo that the fan won't need to come anywhere near maximum RPM and noise levels under normal load, but will have ample reserves for when the system is pushed extremely hard.

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
Two fan heights would be interesting. Not sure if I'd get it, but I imagine extreme overclocking might benefit from a about 80mm total height?

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
@Kmpkt Any status update on this? Also, Akasa has a 92x15mm fan. I can't seem to find it anywhere to purchase though. Have you come across one?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey @fminus

I am making progress on this, but decided to go all in. Instead of just knocking off the L9i or something similar in copper, I am actually decided to hire a thermal design engineer to help me design this thing from the ground up. It means it'll likely be a bit longer to market, but I am hopeful that we'll end with something significantly better than what the competition is offering.

As far as Akasa's fan goes, it is actually 92mm x 13mm and goes by the model FN-077. I contacted Akasa about getting my hands on one, but was sorely disappointed to hear they're actually discontinuing production on it. I do have literally every other 92mm x 15mm or rough equivalent on the market now and will be doing a shootout of their performance after I've completed my heatsink shootout.

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
@Kmpkt That's great to hear. I really look forward to what you come up with in the future.

I saw your thread about owning the fans prior, and was wondering if you had the Akasa in your possession. I also emailed their Taiwan + UK offices with no help. Bit of a bummer since the acoustics on it looked the best compared to the Noctua version.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Nah I never got my hands on an Akasa unfortunately.

ALSO:

If anyone has any ideas they'd like to see considered, we're currently in the brainstorming stages (although I'd like to think I already have a pretty good idea of how I'd like to proceed). The design constraints are that this will be a downdraft style cooler a la L9i/C7, it has a 95mm x 95mm width and length. Anyone who's keen, have at 'er.

Julio Espinosa

Caliper Novice
Jul 17, 2017
Well, in the search for that golden CPU Cooler, I found the Dynatron T318, but it is only LGA 2011 socket. This one has it all. Vapor chamber and full copper made.
The ID Cooling IS-VC45 is a vapor chamber but has aluminium fins. (@Josh | NFC test this one, you can find it here)
The Cooltek LP-53 seems to be the LGA 1151 best option, if you change the fan to a Noctua A9x14. Here a video. I think a Vapor Chamber could cool better.
So....
I would suggest, a Dynatron T318-like Cooler, a Noctua A9x14 fan (or something as quiet), and LGA1151 and AM4 mounting kit.
It would great to add the new-design Noctua Fans (another video here)

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
Tbh, my only request is aesthetics and noise. Make it look pretty with a semi quiet fan. I know we will never hit Noctua level silence, but something close...and BLACK....I am a happy man.

Reactions: Biowarejak

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
A few questions.

1. How much fins will there be?
2. How large will fin to fin gap be?
3. Heatpipe or vapor chamber?
4. Radial or horizontal fins?
5. How much of TDP could it cool?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Tbh, my only request is aesthetics and noise. Make it look pretty with a semi quiet fan. I know we will never hit Noctua level silence, but something close...and BLACK....I am a happy man.

I am planning to have this heatsink plated in black nickel and have already discussed it with my OEM.

1. How much fins will there be?
2. How large will fin to fin gap be?
3. Heatpipe or vapor chamber?
4. Radial or horizontal fins?
5. How much of TDP could it cool?

1.) Don't know yet
2.) Also don't know yet.
3.) Heatpipe almost certainly
4.) I presume by horizontal you mean like the L9i where fins run parallel. Right now that is the plan.
5.) Would love to be able to do 110-120W comfortably. I feel like 140W is pretty much going to have to be loud as hell.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'm actually planning to do two variants if all works well, one with two pipes and as short as optimally possible and then one with 3-4 pipes and in the 45-50mm height range. Hoping the second will soak a lot more than 110W all things going well.