Cooling KMPKT Heatsink and Fan Poll

How much would you pay for a full copper L9i style heatsink and fan (i.e. Fair Market Price)?

• Less than 39.99 USD

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • 39.99 USD

Votes: 19 8.9%
  • 44.99 USD

Votes: 31 14.5%
  • 49.99 USD

Votes: 78 36.4%
  • 54.99 USD

Votes: 29 13.6%
  • Over 54.99 USD

Votes: 47 22.0%

• Total voters

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Copper and aluminium have slightly different properties. Copper is better at drawing heat, and ally is better at radiating it away.
In other words, a copper contact block for the CPU and ally fins is the best combination.

From the reading I've done, this sounds like more of an urban myth than fact. If you have evidence to the contrary, I'd love to hear it. Also the LP53 vs L9i performance comparison kind of seals the deal for me.

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
I think that you are on a good track with the cooler concpet. I have used the noctua NH-L9i and it is adaquate for some builds, I am much more pleased with the Dynatron K129 with a slim 140mm fan suspended above it which is the solution that I used on my S4 Mini build.

neil

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
Yeah I did reach out to him at one point via PM letting him know I had a much more reasonably priced OEM with good quality in case he wanted to work together, but received no response from him (which I take to mean no interest). As far as his design goes, I can't get over how much of the heatsink on his renders is NOT in the airflow of the fan. I don't know if he's rendering with a small fan or if the fan has to be small to fit in the keep out zone, but I just don't get the point of having a 130+mm fin array with a 92mm fan. Maybe someone can clue me in?
Thanks for the explanation.

His heatsink does support 92mm, 100mm and 120mm fans underneath, so depending on mobo layout, you could potentially have a 120mm fan under a 130mm fin array. I'm not sure if a 130mm fin array with 92mm fan would perform better or worse than 95mm fin array with 92mm fan.

I'd assume that the 95mm fin array would be cheaper than the 130mm fin array, also he has a c-type cooler you have a pancake, again i'm assuming c-type is more expensive than pancake style.

So in terms of costs i'd assume that your cooler would be way cheaper and potentially the same performance. Of course we won't know anything until we test-test-test!

I know you aren't working in collaboration with him but ideally at the prototyping stage (or after a few iterations) it might be a good idea to send each other a copy of your units so you guys can see who's cooler is better. It would be a huge waste to buy 500 of these units and have the other party get all the sales. You could even work out a deal where the "winner" subsidizes the "losers" research costs. I dunno.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Good to know that he has multi fan support and I certainly wouldn't be averse to working with Dan in some capacity. That being said, I'm trying to build my own brand as I am sure he is as well.

Personally I prefer the down-draft style of cooler for the builds a lot of us are doing (and for the case I am planning) because the end user can choose varying thicknesses of fan to suit their individual case's height constraints. I feel that the C-style that Dan is offering has somewhat less flexibility in this regard as the fan you can use is somewhat constrained by the motherboard you're using (Z270i Strix) and this could leave you with a tremendous amount of wasted fin space. Furthermore with the trend towards overheight RAM, I worry that a C-style cooler may run into problems.

Also from an aesthetic standpoint, I like being able to see the motherboard and RAM I just spent several hundred dollars on.

Last edited:

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
About the overlap on fan and radiator- the coolermaster s524 ii also is like this, but less pronounced. It has mounting options for 140mm but comes with 120mm, I noticed no difference when using a 140mm fan. But I guess 92mm vs 120mm is a bigger gulf to cross.

Chrizz

Average Stuffer
Jan 23, 2017
Is it possible for you to get a test sample so we can see the performance? Right now most people seem to base their valuation on the assumption that this cooler will perform significantly better than the L9i. Maybe it will, but I think you can get a more accurate picture of the viability of this business if people know exactly what they're getting. As for me, I’m interested in this cooler, but I already have the L9i, so unless the copper heatsink seriously outperforms the L9i, I’m not very inclined to get a new cooler.
Btw, when judging the viability of this business, do not assume that all (or even most) people who vote on this poll will actually buy the cooler.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I think that you are on a good track with the cooler concpet. I have used the noctua NH-L9i and it is adaquate for some builds, I am much more pleased with the Dynatron K129 with a slim 140mm fan suspended above it which is the solution that I used on my S4 Mini build.

neil

Can I get a link to your build log with the Dynatron K129? I googled but couldn't find it. Thanks!

Edit: found it, https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/neilharts-s4-mini-nfc-project.216616/

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
but I just don't get the point of having a 130+mm fin array with a 92mm fan. Maybe someone can clue me in?

It helps as buffer for heat spikes. In a most scenario's, cpu usage spikes a lot and this could smooth it out. I've tested the exact same fan on an NH L9i and NH L12 (single fan mode) and the NH L12 was a lot quieter at the same temps.

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
I've tested the exact same fan on an NH L9i and NH L12 (single fan mode) and the NH L12 was a lot quieter at the same temps.
Actually now that i think about it, a Noctua D14 with 92mm fan will also beat a NHl9i with a 92mm fan. Conclusion: MOAR RAD SURFACE AREA

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Is it possible for you to get a test sample so we can see the performance?

Getting a sample requires paying for the tooling first which runs about 8000 USD. As you imagine, I am reluctant to spend that, only to find out that performance is mediocre. What I am going to do instead is get an all copper version of the Deepcool HTPC-200 (as well as a normal version) to determine how much of a difference copper makes within the exact same heatsink using the exact same fan. This should provide a very apples-to-apples comparison on the true difference between copper and aluminum fins and give me my answer as to whether I wish to proceed with this or not. Additionally I feel this information will give potential customers a VERY clear idea of the performance increase they can expect when choosing my heatsink over an L9i or equivalent.

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
neat! I voted for 54.99, but honestly, if it can outperform even the LP53, within the measurements of the NHL9i... then I'd bet customers would be willing to pay more than the NHL9i and the LP53's price, for the best performing cooler. And that's IF it turns out to be that.

I REALLY hope it turns out better than both of those coolers, not just for your sake financially, but for the sake of the SFF communitty, having more options is always great, but having a NEWER and BETTER performing SFF CPU cooler king... would be monumental.

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
I know it's only been a few weeks but any news? Excited to see how this turns out since I'm working on a new build for Josh's upcoming S4 run.

Reactions: zovc

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah. I've been in contact with the OEM and am now working with their engineers to fine tune for optimum performance. That includes fin count as well as the number and diameter of pipes to use for optimum cooling. I may also be moving away from the shrouded design in favour of a more conventional open fin design. As an aesthetic alternative, I am looking to plate the copper in black nickel which should add a really nice aesthetic without any cooling compromise. Finally, I am considering changing the mounting to one of the manufacturer's existing backplate based solutions rather than complete toolless for better seating. I'm hoping these two changes will significantly reduce my overhead (ie. tooling costs) for the first run allowing me to price the unit more aggressively. I'll let you guys know once I know more.

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
I'd definitely prefer the nickel over the shroud just to let more heat escape. Though if we get a nice black fan to fit on top I honestly wouldn't even mind a pure copper look. But thanks either way for the update, looking forward to see what you get done! Are you using that company that will build custom heat sinks if you provide the cad files and such?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
No. I am using a reputable OEM you would all be very familiar with. I am testing a few fans including the OEM's own 92x15mm as well as a pair of custom Yate Loon. The Yate Loons are specced for significantly more static pressure than the Noctua NF A9x14 PWM (2.2mm H2O/33 CFM/30 DBA vs 1.6mm H2O/30 CFM/20 dBA) as I would like to add a few more fins to the array if possible to allow for easy dissipation of OC'd 95W CPUs. If the additional noise is unbearable then I would obviously consider changing the design.

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
The Yate Loons are specced for significantly more static pressure than the Noctua NF A9x14 PWM (2.2mm H2O/33 CFM/30 DBA vs 1.6mm H2O/30 CFM/20 dBA) as I would like to add a few more fins to the array if possible to allow for easy dissipation of OC'd 95W CPUs. If the additional noise is unbearable then I would obviously consider changing the design.

I'd take a little more noise for good pressure and higher CFM, especially if PWM, then if your gaming or really pushing, you probably have speakers or headphones on anyways :)

As it stood I was playing with a Silverstone fan atop the Noctua cooler and it hits 29.2dba at peak and I could live with that while it is under load. Anyways I'll stop rambling, thanks again for the update!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The other option is I might order the heatsink without the fans and just sell the fans separately. It's not like the heatsink wouldn't work with a lower static pressure fan, it just wouldn't be optimized for it. It would also allow people who want a high static pressure thin fan for case use to buy them as well.

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
I'd vote for a separate heatsink, so no bundle. Also, I know it's super early, but would we even be able to get our hands on one of these before the end of the year, or Q3 of this year?