Stalled kees KogelMier - a tiny powerhouse

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
No worries, I'll be able to test it soon hopefully.

HWiNFO64 - 6 hour mark

Last edited:

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Ordered two ID Cooling CPU coolers from them on Ebay, I'll order the others once they have arrived.

I'm not expecting to find a CPU cooler with my height restriction to handle a 4790K running Prime95, I'm looking to see what can handle "normal" CPU loads, including 3D rendering, which are among some of the harder consistent loads out there. The Intel Blower cooler can handle the 4790K with some minor throttling, likely VRM related.

The "I'm not expecting much from you" Cooler
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171892291105

The "You seem decent" Cooler
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181790233740

I've got a bit of a lull going on at the moment, I've been busy with the Laser mostly so I can't afford down time on my system. I will have some time to spare next week so hopefully I can make some more progress again.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The second one seems nice, I hope it can sufficiently cool a 45W or 65W CPU.

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Well this project is fairly dead unfortunately. Not because it can't do it but because I don't have the time for it right now.

The only thing I've done is I remade the wood housing out of nicer wood and given it a nice coating of structure oil.

I promise I will continue this, but when I have the time and resources available to proceed onward properly.

Enjoy!

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
If this is what you call dead, I really want to see it complete! This looks cool.:thumb:

Mal

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Thanks, as mentioned in the HDPlex alternative thread I've got a new PSU that I'm running the R9 Nano on.
It's a 180VAC and up unit, so you guys in the US are out of luck.

The Meanwell ERP-350-24
A Cheap (€50), Silent (It's passive) and small (considering it's passive) Power supply. No PFC whatsoever though which is a bummer.
I've hung it as they intend you to do. It's normally meant for outside use and is rain splash proof.
One of the cool things is that this unit has a crazy overload tolerance, up to 180%. So any spikes should be easily handled.

I've not run any really tests, other then some quick checks and it seems my systeem is much more stable now. I can get it to crash in furmark with some settings, but I've not had it go on me during games such as the Witcher 3 and GTA V.

Right now I'm running Heaven 1080p, extreme 8xAA and it looks stable as can be. The air temperature inside the PSU is 47,3C as of writing and the hottest part of the housing is 44,4C.
I'll see if I can do some more detailed testing during the weekend.

Ok I've switched to Furmark for a quick test:
With the Voodoo 350W I used to have:
Running Furmark at 1024x768 and 0xAA monitors go dark instantly.

Now it's still running as of 3 minutes.

1080P 0xAA shows some weirdness

with Power Limit 0 and +50 it crashes immediatly
with Power Limit -50 it doesn't and I can move it to 0 without crashing. Seems like some kind of initialization going from idle to active can cause some instability, interesting I will take this into account when doing new testing.

I think I'm going to spend a good time chunk in the weekend on testing this out.

For now I'm going back to some GTA V :) .

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Is it exempt due to being industrial equipment? I thought PFC was strictly required on all modern PSUs.

Not sure, but likely. Often with these types of powersupplies they always say.
End user has to reverify all requirements. We only tested our PSU standalone and cannot guarantee the same values when used with another part.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Is it exempt due to being industrial equipment? I thought PFC was strictly required on all modern PSUs.

From what I know, most companies that produce high electronic loads use external PFCs that they can fine tune depending on the sorts of load they're generating.
Companies are not charged for real power like private households, but for apparent power, so they use PFCs to keep the power factor and thus cost down. Power factor correction is a huge topic for discussion, especially in amateur electronics forums because there are so many misconceptions about it.
You can buy "energy saving" devices from China that are basically a large capacitor that you plug into a wall-socket, and those act like PFCs for inductive loads, so they're a small version of that what large factories use, but they're absolutely useless in private households.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Very interesting ! The Meanwell ERP-350-24 is a kind a LED driver ?
Could you share a wiring diagramm ?

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Very interesting ! The Meanwell ERP-350-24 is a kind a LED driver ?
Could you share a wiring diagramm ?

According to Meanwell the ERP series is meant for moving signs, So I'm thinking the PFC is not present because it has to drive motors, so for the end user it might be easier/cheaper to do PFC on their whole system as @iFreilicht pointed out.
Here are Meanwells bullet points for the ERP
Suitable for high efficiency moving sign applications
Semi-potted and design against rain splash (ERP-350)

Also very important to note the voltage input range for the ERP series starts at ~180VAC , so you can't use this unit in the USA.

What kind of wiring diagram do you need?

Right now the ERP is connected as follows:
Red+Yellow = +24V
White + Black = Ground

Yellow/Green = Earth
Brown = Neutral
Blue = Live/Phase

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Thanks a lot Qinx !

I do not know much about elec so my question was : how do you feed power to the HDPLEX throug hthis unit ?
Did you connect a 7.4 barrel at the end of the wires ?

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Yes, I've sacrificed two of my AC adapters and cut the 7.4mm barrel connector from them.
The first I couldn't use, or rather won't use, it has 2 very small wires that would have heated up because of resistance, caused a lot of voltage drop and voltage fluctuation.
The second cable was much beefier as you can see in the image, it had 2 wires for each pole and they are a lot thicker.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Ok, thanks. If you have time to take pictures of the wiring job between the cable and the barrel, you are most welcome !

I might be tempted to try your solution as I would like to replace my current 750 ti by a 970.
As I am going to use it for GPU-intensive renderings (Octane Render software), I am not sure the 330W AC Adapter will hold the continuous load.

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Ok, thanks. If you have time to take pictures of the wiring job between the cable and the barrel, you are most welcome !

I might be tempted to try your solution as I would like to replace my current 750 ti by a 970.
As I am going to use it for GPU-intensive renderings (Octane Render software), I am not sure the 330W AC Adapter will hold the continuous load.

Between the cable and barrel connector are no wires, it looks like a normal cable with barrel connector at the end.
Like this.

I've never heard anybody complain about instability with the GTX970 + HDPLEX 250. I've run it for a good couple of months on the Voodoo 350W.

Reactions: aquelito

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Do you guys think there would be interest in something like Formica but without the GPU support and for regular ITX?
A design similar to

But smaller, with proper CPU heatsink support such as the Cryorig C7, NH-L9x65 and NH-L9i?
Of course also properly engineered and less of a, just make sure it fits together, kind of end product.

Reactions: K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
There is definitely a lack of sub 3 litre cases for cpu only setups, especially in the UK. Realan, MiniSys and MS-Tech do some, but availability is poor here.

The ones that do exist are often poorly ventilated and will only support low TDP setups.