Production J-HACK PURE XL - 6.5L

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hello fellow members. I'd like to introduce the next case to the PURE family of cases. The specs are as follows:

PURE XL (Mk1.0)
  • Mini-ITX motherboard
  • 175mm Dual Slot, Max 25mm over ref. height (including power connector) GPU
  • C6 power entry, 12mm power entry
  • Max 70mm CPU cooler with SFX PSU
  • 2X 80/92mm fan (clearance varies) case fan
  • Mounting for 120/140mm when single slot GPU is used
  • Powder coated in all matte black, or two tone black + white
  • Designed, Made, and Assembled in USA, from 1.6mm aluminum
  • Ships from USA

Last edited:

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
How soon would this be available and do you have a price in mind for it?

I have a family member that was complaining about difficulty fitting his ITX PC in a bag for travel and asked me if I could fit all the components in something smaller, so I was thinking about scratch building it. This is extremely similar to the dimensions & layout I had in mind so if it fits his budget then that saves me quite a bit of time.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
How soon would this be available and do you have a price in mind for it?

I have a family member that was complaining about difficulty fitting his ITX PC in a bag for travel and asked me if I could fit all the components in something smaller, so I was thinking about scratch building it. This is extremely similar to the dimensions & layout I had in mind so if it fits his budget then that saves me quite a bit of time.

I'm looking at $160 shipping inclusive to USA. It'll be 4-6 weeks unless something fall behind schedule. Negotiations and manufacturer has already be selected.

Reactions: Weredawg

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Yes. SFX-L would have no problem fitting.

If it were me, I'd explicitly advertise the SFX-L capability too!

Also can you expand on "External HDPLEX 400 AC-DC support"?

Does that mean there are internal mounts for the HDPLEX 400 DC/DC board but the AC/DC must be used externally? Or is the internal mounting of the DC/DC board a DIY thing?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
If it were me, I'd explicitly advertise the SFX-L capability too!

Also can you expand on "External HDPLEX 400 AC-DC support"?

Does that mean there are internal mounts for the HDPLEX 400 DC/DC board but the AC/DC must be used externally? Or is the internal mounting of the DC/DC board a DIY thing?

There are mounting holes that allows you to attach the psu on the outside of the chassis in the rear. So it is external but physically attached to the case. It also means you must the gpu output that is closest to the motherboard since it does cover part of the gpu. I'll have to make a example to show it. It is a cute feature that was free to implement. I think one person may ever use it!

Thanks I'll also update the SFX-L support

Reactions: smitty2k1

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
This is pretty cool, a sheet metal lz7.

That 160 dollar price tag seems rather high. I had a similar case quoted by protocase for a guy who DM'd me. (No idea if he actually had it built) at any rate for one it was 370 ish and for 20 it was nearly 80 dollars per case. 40 for 70. Granted, this had no vents. Is this just a case of high overhead? When I get home I'll dig up the quote and CAD files and DM them to you if you like.

Regardless, cool case!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Well this one came as a surprise. I had a similar idea although with screwed on sheets to beams.

This absolutely fits a need where people just want to use standard off the shelf parts in the smallest setup possible. And I think a brushed aluminum finish would go well with this case!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
This is pretty cool, a sheet metal lz7.

That 160 dollar price tag seems rather high. I had a similar case quoted by protocase for a guy who DM'd me. (No idea if he actually had it built) at any rate for one it was 370 ish and for 20 it was nearly 80 dollars per case. 40 for 70. Granted, this had no vents. Is this just a case of high overhead? When I get home I'll dig up the quote and CAD files and DM them to you if you like.

Regardless, cool case!

Does it include quality control and rejection of bad units, assembly, packaging, shipping (already 20-25 in USA) , web hosting, payment processing (3%), prototype cost (2 prototypes would cost me $900), time testing and checking prototype fitment, design hours, customer service, media production, storage space, and made in USA (higher cost, especially on the finishing side) etc etc.

70 is cheap because the vents increases the machine time by 3-4 times. Protocase would make one with vents for you for $120 for 40 probably but they're set up for fast prototype not batches.

Yes. "high overhead." ;)

yensteel

Caliper Novice
Aug 10, 2017
I have some questions,

1. Can some case feet be installed to allow the case be mounted vertically? Which orientation?

2. Also how many drives does it support?

3. Any Internal Meanwell AC-DC support to be used with tall cpu coolers such as the U9S?

I'm really excited about this case. It looks really cool!

Last edited:

Weredawg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 5, 2017
What are its dimensions? Will it come with a power switch or is that a separate purchase? What size power switch?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I have some questions,

1. Can some case feet be installed to allow the case be mounted vertically? Which orientation?

2. Also how many drives does it support?

3. Any Internal Meanwell AC-DC support to be used with tall cpu coolers such as the U9S?

I'm really excited about this case. It looks really cool!

1. Yes. It is best designed to be not "stand" because this way it gets the best airflow. However, the 4 mounting on either side of the cover panel can be used to install case feet. They can be bought aftermarket, also called amp feet.

2. It supports no mounting for drives, as we have really moved away from 2.5 ssd. but I'll see where I can add mounting points. The simplest and easiest way is to use double sided tape and mount where you can best cable manage it.

3. There will be mounting points for a side bracket for mounting other things. It does include a cutout for a C6 power connector for any future AC/DC designs. r

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
What are its dimensions? Will it come with a power switch or is that a separate purchase? What size power switch?
1. It is about 219 mm x 191 mm x 156mm.

2. Yes power switch included. It'll likely be similar to the PURE case where you can choose between the silver or black one. The power switch size is 16mm.

Reactions: Weredawg

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Does it include quality control and rejection of bad units, assembly, packaging, shipping (already 20-25 in USA) , web hosting, payment processing (3%), prototype cost (2 prototypes would cost me $900), time testing and checking prototype fitment, design hours, customer service, media production, storage space, and made in USA (higher cost, especially on the finishing side) etc etc.

70 is cheap because the vents increases the machine time by 3-4 times. Protocase would make one with vents for you for $120 for 40 probably but they're set up for fast prototype not batches.

Yes. "high overhead." ;)

From experience, protocase doesn't make bad units. (They are setup for small run production as well) They have a fantastic quality control team.

I hate overhead so much. Looking forward to updates!

Sam

Caliper Novice
Jul 19, 2019
This is nice! I like the minimalistic look! Would look even better with power button on the back.
Will you make a longer version (PURE XXL) to accommodate 10.5" GPUs?
If so, it could be even shorter in height by positioning the PSU at the front like in M1, but rotate it so PSU fan faces the front to blow through the front vents. I think it would also make it possible to accommodate short tower coolers like Noctua NH-D9L.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
This is nice! I like the minimalistic look! Would look even better with power button on the back.
Will you make a longer version (PURE XXL) to accommodate 10.5" GPUs?
If so, it could be even shorter in height by positioning the PSU at the front like in M1, but rotate it so PSU fan faces the front to blow through the front vents. I think it would also make it possible to accommodate short tower coolers like Noctua NH-D9L.

I have really thought about this idea. It is very much possible if the XL and the X version sells well enough to fund a 4th variant.

Sam

Caliper Novice
Jul 19, 2019
I suspect if you launch the case that accommodates 10.5" GPUs first, it would gane much more traction than X or XL, even combined, since the market share of LP and Mini GPUs is much smaller. The hype for XXL would probably be equivalent or better than Dan A4 experienced, cause it would be just slightly larger at about 8 liters (or less?) and could accommodate larger coolers, up to a small tower. Yet at a lower price, since riser cable is not involved.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I suspect if you launch the case that accommodates 10.5" GPUs first, it would gane much more traction than X or XL, even combined, since the market share of LP and Mini GPUs is much smaller. The hype for XXL would probably be equivalent or better than Dan A4 experienced, cause it would be just slightly larger at about 8 liters (or less?) and could accommodate larger coolers, up to a small tower. Yet at a lower price, since riser cable is not involved.

However, DAN A4 runs manufacturing in batches of 1000s. Even without a riser, it is still fairly costly for small runs. You'd need to use another bracket and also power entry extension.

It'd be around 9L in size. I'd like to make one l like that, but at that size there is much more competition and it requires a big run to get good pricing. It's doable yes, but I'd need like $15K for a run :D.