Prototype "Moonbase". Multi formfactor. Configurable. [1.5-8L]

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
"Moonbase" is a multi-formfactor metacase (case family) with various models optimized for APU and ranging from 1.5-8 Liters. It is inspired by the legendary Sharp x68000, with the capability to extend a second modular section, similar to the x68000's second bay.

The first prototype created was for ITX, with 55mm cooler height supporting HDPlex 250w GAN and a volume of approximately 3.1L, which can comfortably handle 105w TDP processors.

Subsequent development includes Asrock STX and possibly Deep-ITX.

Other possibilities include Intel 4x4 (nuc) and Framework.

It has an optional frame system for expansibility to create some options beyond an APU chassis, such as for graphics, AIO coolers, various power supplies, and storage/homelab. Case rotation on the frame is possible. Different form factors will share the same universal frame system and similar modular attachments.

Fully 3D except for the frame system, it extends and evolves further upon the configuration options offered in the DeskNano design.

"Gemini" models For ITX APU - 37mm Internal, 250w GAN, 2.6 Liters (case only excluding rad/frame), 240mm AIO option.

"Apollo" models For ITX APU - 57mm Internal, 250w GAN, 3.1 Liters

"Lander" models for STX APU - 1.4 to 1.9 Liters, 37mm to 57mm Internal

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
That’s a very smooth looking design with good ventilation.
Could this be configured to accommodate an Deskmeet motherboard?
I am not sure if it is Deep-ITX or something else

Reactions: msystems

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
I have a version for Deskmeet in development which still needs the i/o measurements and optionally the oem switch reintegration. Im just not sure how practical it is (as an APU). It is however 3.5 liters with the 250w gan.

Conceivably i'd want to make it possible to re-use the Deskmeet atx psu on the backside and then have space for a 2.5 slot 240mm card there as well. It wouldn't be much smaller than the oem case, but it should have better temps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arboreal

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019
something that just popped into my head if the height is scalable🤞 put some heavy-duty taps on the sides with pins on them ca 30 mm tall then put a good 140 mm fan(NF-A14 PWM/chromax) on them and then a slim 140mm rad https://www.alphacool.com/shop/radi...s-st20-hpe-full-copper-140mm-radiator?c=20542 (works best with alphacool block-pump-Reservoir combo)
or https://www.alphacool.com/shop/radi...0-full-copper-140mm-radiator?c=20542(fillable from the top) either is good as for the pump most suitable are https://www.alphacool.com/shop/cpu-...l-eisbaer-pro-aurora-solo-digital-rgb?c=20570 and one from https://modultra.com/shop with DDC pump of your own choice as for fitting some combo of straight and 45/90 angles will work
soft tubing is properly the only thing that is possible
might also work in a 120 mm version
radiators
https://www.alphacool.com/shop/radi...s-st20-hpe-full-copper-120mm-radiator?c=20542 or https://www.alphacool.com/shop/radi...xos-hpe-30-full-copper-120mm-radiator?c=20542 both are fillable from the top
pumps are the same
fan nf-a12x25-pwm/chromax

for madness, version replaces normal fans with industrialPPC fans

all products used are examples

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Will this support lp gpus like the rtx a2000? Or will a future expansion or revision support it? I have an rtx a2000 case problem…🤣
Currently the plan is for gpus to be an expansion, externalized on the backside. There will be a "universal" gpu adapter which is intended to be consistent, and independent of the form factor.

I did this to make supporting SBCs and barebones aio easier. So the design time to support a new sbc or form factor is reduced and the expansion modules are consistent no matter the form factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Hey, Msystems, the most important question of today is "are you going to sell the STLs? The second most important question of today is "where did you get that handle?!". I totally need one of those handles you got right there.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Hey, Msystems, the most important question of today is "are you going to sell the STLs? The second most important question of today is "where did you get that handle?!". I totally need one of those handles you got right there.

I would like to do the "Diy edition" again, but it's not a sure thing that this will happen this time around, or if it does, it won't be for a while. A few technical reasons why, but mostly IP related.

The project is using Elesa bridge handles. They are made in Italy (or maybe by the sister company Ganter Norm in Furtwangen, Germany). I thought they resembled the Sharp's original pull handle style pretty well.

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
ASRock STX prototype is complete.
Nickname "Lander"

Feature list:
-Universal support (b660/h470/x300/a300)
- Stock antenna re-integration and I/O shield
- Stock switch re-integration (option) or anti-vandal
- 120mm AIO support likely, 140mm will also be explored. Goal is to make them work either with or without the frame. It does look quite ridiculous due to the long hoses though.
- Variable CPU cooler height

Planned features:
- Cutout lids and press-fit lids with fan integration. Up to 140mm fan support.
- Various expansion modules
- Case feet for horizontal configuration

Differences from Desknano x300:
- Lids no longer change size, the case is scaled instead.
- Screwless design except for the standoffs. Press-fit lid system and the tray is eliminated.

Last edited:

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
I would like to do the "Diy edition" again, but it's not a sure thing that this will happen this time around, or if it does, it won't be for a while. A few technical reasons why, but mostly IP related.

The project is using Elesa bridge handles. They are made in Italy (or maybe by the sister company Ganter Norm in Furtwangen, Germany). I thought they resembled the Sharp's original pull handle style pretty well.

Hey, thanks a lot! I was searching for one of these, without much success. 🙏

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
ASRock STX prototype is complete.
Nickname "Lander"

Feature list:
-Universal support (b660/h470/x300/a300)
- Stock antenna re-integration and I/O shield
- Stock switch re-integration (option) or anti-vandal
- 120mm AIO support likely, 140mm will also be explored. Goal is to make them work either with or without the frame. It does look quite ridiculous due to the long hoses though.
- Variable CPU cooler height

Planned features:
- Cutout lids and press-fit lids with fan integration. Up to 140mm fan support.
- Various expansion modules
- Case feet for horizontal configuration

Differences from Desknano x300:
- Lids no longer change size, the case is scaled instead.
- Screwless design except for the standoffs. Press-fit lid system and the tray is eliminated.
Hi, your design is really beautiful while remaining sober. What maximum height is supported for the CPU heatsink? And what would be your price for a copy of this nice STX box and a shipment to France?

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Thanks friend! CPU height is one of the many user configurable options. This goes for itx, stx, everything in the lineup. Since this is built to order, you get to choose the exact internal height you need from a minimum of 32mm, up to 200mm. All of the design features adjust accordingly.

International shipping would be something like 25 usd (well, actually 16 usd if it's just the case itself which is just under 8oz). These are pretty lightweight, about 1-2lbs depending on the accessories. Still working out the basic features and pricing on it.

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Below are some pictures of a 57mm internal height STX configuration with ID Cooling IS-55 on the Deskmini b660. This would be a high performance version.

Tested with a 12600, it sustains 100 watts with temps stable under 70C. This size comes in at about 1.8 liters (as just the case itself, without the frame or any attachments).

The following "universal" modules are designed, so far:

-Drive tray attachment.
Fits two 2.5" drives. Choice of 7mm (pictured) or 15mm internal height. Has adapter bracket for mounting to frame system.

-Case feet for Horizontal orientation.
These re-use the stock case feet pads and elevate the case a bit when it's intended to be used in the horizontal position. The feet are compatible both with or without the drive tray addon. Compatible with threaded/machined aftermarket case feet as well.

-Radiator mounting system.
Hole pattern for 120mm fans and 120/240rads. Can direct-mount to the case, or mount to the frame with adapter bracket. Any orientation possible (tubes up, tubes down, sideways). Alternate lid styles will be designed eventually to support pump/tube passthrough.

STX case should be available soon-ish. Storage, case feet, and VESA are the basic module options for now.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Another great iteration of your mini STX cases! 100 watts is impressive, how are the VRM's holding out? Does the IS-55 provide some extra airflow on the tiny VRM heatsink?

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Another great iteration of your mini STX cases! 100 watts is impressive, how are the VRM's holding out? Does the IS-55 provide some extra airflow on the tiny VRM heatsink?

The VRM heatsink is indeed small and probably the biggest area of concern on this b660 platform. With a 120mm fan though, at least it is getting direct airflow, which helps up to a point.

The VRM cooling should probably be improved somehow to safely push the board harder than 100 watts though. Possibly a custom heatsink, or 40mm fan could be placed in the area, as there is a large gap in the I/O area immediately behind the VRM heatsink.

As tested on computerbase It is capable of 140 watts+ and almost 20k cinebench score with 12900k.

Last edited:

fedder

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2020
This case is almost perfect. Would be cool to get some deeper modules for it though if I used those words right. Im actually looking to make a passive cooled case with a Noctua P1 and passive gan power supply for a 5700G/6700G in the future and small cubed ITX apu cases dont exist really.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com

Lander will be available 1.20.23 through J-HACK in two versions: 37mm (L9 optimized) or 57mm (IS-55, Wraith Stealth, etc) internal size.

More variations and lid options will be added incrementally.

You evil temptator, I've spent enough money lately 😭. Can't wait to see more, I'm glad that this case finaly lands on Moon Earth 😁