Power Supply Is this a viable alternative to the HDPLEX 300W DC-ATX?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Hey,

The HDPLEX 300W DC-ATX has been out of stock for what seems like months at this point.

I did some poking around on Amazon and found this unit which is similar in size. It's about 10mm "longer" and 10mm "shorter" assuming the measurements are reliable (and are in mm).

If I'm being completely honest, I'd trust HDPLEX's reputation over this random PSU off of Amazon, but I'm really hankering for a DC-ATX PSU with ~250W+ capacity for my build. Because my system will be drawing under the 300W limit, I'm not too worried about taxing the PSU too hard or anything.

Think this thing is worth giving a shot? It's about $80 from the re-seller I saw on there.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The HDPlex 300 should be out literally any day now. I'm pretty sure they're being shipped in with the 300W AC-DC units which went on pre-sale today.

Reactions: Soul_Est and zovc

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
The quality looks super shoddy. I was just emailing with Larry from HDPLEX yesterday and he said that he will have more of the 300w units next month, so in 9 days. Also, that it will be slightly revised :D

Reactions: Soul_Est

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Yeah, if the HDPLEX is going to come out that soon for almost the exact same price (and a much better aesthetic), I'll definitely hold out a little longer. :)

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
No idea. I just asked about availability over email and was given that response back. I assume it'll just be better efficiency and maybe a slightly altered layout, nothing that would warrant someone to throw their old one out.

Ah. Just sent him an email. He told me they were going to increase the A of the 12V to possible 40A. This should hopefully fix the coil whine issue.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah I believe this was the solve. I know the Dynamo has been engineered to do almost 400W and he was taking the 300W DC-ATX in a similar direction.

VitoHGrind

Chassis Packer
May 8, 2017
@Jonny727272 "Slightly revised" in what ways?

Just had a nice email chat with Larry. Apparently, he was liberal with those "slight revisions." He's replacing the 300W DCATX with a 400W DCATX. He says the overall length will only grow about 10mm and it will have a beefier heatsink. Pre-orders should go up in about a week. You may see a price hike on the full rate production units, but if you pre-order you get the same price as the 300W unit. Oddly, he's not releasing a new 400W AC-DC adapter as he says 300W is the limit for passive adapters.

I think I'm probably going to wear out the refresh button on my browser because of this..

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I hated keeping quiet on this, but yeah it's gonna be a mighty nice unit.