Discussion Is there any STX case with built-in psu for APU system?

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Apr 16, 2017
Hey guys,

Isn’t there any tiny case <2 lt for an STX apu system with built-in psu? I just can’t find any until now.

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Apr 16, 2017
does it have to be under 2 litres ??

there's a case under 2.5 litres.

It might be under 2.5 liters too.

I'm not strictly looking for under 2 liters, but there are a few mini itx cases under 2.5 liters like SGPC K17.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
IIRC the S4T is 3.3L

I think the Akasa Cypher ST could be somehow modded to fit a small Meanwell PSU while keeping it at around 2L

Reactions: Phuncz

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
View attachment 1146

Maybe the dimensions you have are referring to the internal volume?

i asked NFC Systems what the dimensions were when you put 2 of them together, in what they call the " transform " ,& was told it was approximately 6 litres.

its possible that NFC changed dimensions afterwards.

but that's a really big case, when you put 2 of them together.

Last edited:

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Yes.

i'm aware of what NFC Systems' website says.

but sometimes a website has typos, so i'm trying to find out whether what's written is correct.

additionally, i have no ownership interest in NFC Systems, so i have no motive not to tell the truth.

i recommended this case because as i said, when it was first announced, i was told by NFC that its dimensions were smaller.

also, the OP's language is not clear, he could mean " built-in PSU compatible " ,or " built-in PSU included for free " .

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I think this thread deserves a bit more general of an answer. As I see it there are two reasons for this not existing:
- Nobody sells standalone STX motherboards, making the market for DIY cases very small, limited to specialty offerings like passive cooling. If you're already getting a decent case and power brick with your purchase, the motivation to buy a new case and throw away your existing one is likely to be small.
- STX doesn't have any type of standardized internal power input to the board, meaning a case with an internal PSU would need to use some janky power passthrough solution (i.e. a pigtail cable sticking out the back of the case to connect to the rear DC jack input) or require the user to solder in the power input. The former is likely offputting to most serious OEMs with any kind of desire for a premium appearance, and the latter is a dealbreaker for >99% of potential users.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I think this thread deserves a bit more general of an answer. As I see it there are two reasons for this not existing:
- Nobody sells standalone STX motherboards, making the market for DIY cases very small, limited to specialty offerings like passive cooling. If you're already getting a decent case and power brick with your purchase, the motivation to buy a new case and throw away your existing one is likely to be small.
- STX doesn't have any type of standardized internal power input to the board, meaning a case with an internal PSU would need to use some janky power passthrough solution (i.e. a pigtail cable sticking out the back of the case to connect to the rear DC jack input) or require the user to solder in the power input. The former is likely offputting to most serious OEMs with any kind of desire for a premium appearance, and the latter is a dealbreaker for >99% of potential users.

All valid points - for mainstream it does not make much sense to offer such cases. Even without internal PSU there are only very few aftermarket choices. The S4T does fit STX and an HDPLEX but from my point of view this case makes much more sense for a normal ITX APU build.

STX with internal PSU is very, very niche and I guess you need to go DIY like some custom projects here on the forum e.g.:

PS: G-Unique can probably make a custom designed mini PSU which would fit in the normal DeskMini - but I'm not aware of any mainstream solutions.

Reactions: Valantar and Phuncz

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I for one am sadly disappointed that Mini STX boards aren't available on their own. It's as disappointing as the fact that bare NUC boards are barely cheaper than a standard cased barebones kit with PSU.

I know that Asrock (obvs), Asus and Gigabyte made H110 boards, and there were ASus Q170s I see.
I cannot find a used H110 Deskmini or H110 board for the life of me here in the UK.
I hung on too long considering AliExpress Q170S boards and they have all gone.

My poor i5 7500T and 4GB DDR4 SODIMM are mouldering in a drawer as H110 thin ITX boards are rare, and s1151 boards seem to be fetching silly money at the moment.

Reactions: Phuncz

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
The S4T does fit STX and an HDPLEX but from my point of view this case makes much more sense for a normal ITX APU build.

i typoed my dimensions before, so its been edited.

but my recommendation still stands for the S4T.

the problem is that OP wants a 2 litres STX case.

but why ???

NFC Systems can make a beautiful 3 litres custom case, from a standard AliExpress mini-PC.

all of this extra headache for 2 litres.