PSU for Mini-STX?

Sh3rKh4n

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Hello,
I've built a mini-STX PC with a H110S1 and an i7-7700K.
I thought I could use this PC as a Stream machine for Twitch. It works really great, allowing me to stream videos at 1080p/30FPS BUT after 45 minutes, the external 120W power supply (Laptop block format) starts to be really hot (I think around 80°C). Of course, this has some consequences on the CPU resources as well as the quality of the stream.
I tried to google around to see if there was any kind of ventilated PSU for Mini-STX and didn't find anything. The only match I can find is the !be quiet TFX Power 2, which is a 300W PSU.
Can anyone help me to resolve this issue?

Sh3rKh4n

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Thank you very very much for your support....
It means, an external block will be able to support the charge? Just the one I bought is now too weak. Right?

warfreak131

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 30, 2017
I plugged your computers information into the power supply calculator. I'm assuming you have 8 gigs of RAM and a 7200 RPM hard drive, but the numbers shouldn't change a whole lot.
http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

It says that at 90% CPU load, you're using 133 W, which is above what your supply is capable of. That's probably the reason it is getting so hot, which definitely isn't safe. The one I linked to can handle up to 330 W, so it should be able to give you all the juice you need and not dip in performance at all, it'll also stay much cooler.

Sh3rKh4n

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
I sincerely don't know how to thank you. I wasn't aware of this calculator.
Yes, the mainboard card has a 5.5 plug. I'll order one right now. I was afraid I've built this PC for nothing... :)

warfreak131

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 30, 2017
Youre welcome. I think heat may be your main culprit here. Aside from your overheating power supply, there are other things to consider:

1) Mini Stx isn't really designed to handle 95W CPUs. The copper traces on the board are probably too thin to handle the amount of current. This can cause the board and the voltage regulators to heat up excessively and cause poor performance. Worst case scenario you may end up frying the board.

2) What is your CPU cooler? If the cooler can't handle 95 W TDP, the processor will overheat and throttle, causing bad performance.

Sh3rKh4n

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
I have a SilverStone Nitrogone NT09-115X.
It will be difficult to insert a bigger cooler in the case. But surprisingly, I never went above 60°C during my tests...