Stalled Iris 16 - RGB Vandal Button

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Update! Version 0.2! Hardware is happening!

Hardware:

I just received a notification from my manufacturer that they will be sending out the LED ring PCBs today! So if all goes well I'll have something to show by the end of the week.

Software:

Version 0.2 is ready, click here to try it out!

(I really wanted to make this image a gif, but I didn't manage to record it properly)

Changelog:
  • Added ability to create, edit and save Schedules, Periods and Delays
  • Added options to modify a Cues name and Channels
  • Revised UI a little

First off, if you still remember previous updates, Cue Lists are now called Schedules, and Cue List Items are Periods. Delays are a new mechanism and the name is subject to change.

To illustrate what these words mean, I marked all of them in the UI below.

So as you can see, a Schedule consists of Periods, which are described by a chain of Delays. A Schedule can display very complex animations, and uses multiple Cues to do that. One Period always corresponds to one Cue, which is toggled on or off when the black line passes a Delay. If a Period has zero Delays, the Cue will always be on.

This is a very effective way to describe all sorts of effects. Take a look at the example Schedules at the link above. You can make mirror gradients, bouncing dots, or turn on multiple LEDs at a time.

It took a long time to implement this, but now that it's done, it seems to be a very powerful way of characterising animations and I'm quite happy with how it works. If you try the visualizer out and find any bugs, please let me know!

Last edited:

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
I was thinking about this on way to work this morning.

The visualizer shows the button and surrounds in black. will that be the colour of the production model?

edit: the link didn't work for me.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com

Fucking hell. Yes, I changed it, thank you :)

I was thinking about this on way to work this morning.

The visualizer shows the button and surrounds in black. will that be the colour of the production model?

edit: the link didn't work for me.

fixed.

Right now it does, but I want to offer both black and silver. Maybe other colours as well, if possible.

Reactions: Biowarejak

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
The Hitchhiker's Guide mentions that the Disaster Area edition of the Freilite Iris requires most sentient life forms to view the LED effects from within a speicially-constructed bunker located at least 500m below the rock surface of a suitable nearby planet, otherwise the extreme blackness of the LEDs will drive you either completely insane or completely sane (see the entry for 'knurd'). The Guide helpfully provides a list of planets where such bunkers may be found as well as organizations that are willing to help rehabilitate you should you ignore this basic safety precaution.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I'm super excited about this.

I don't know if it helps you, but the statistics for Silver to Black buttons sold on my site are 5:3, respectively.

Honestly though I think offering them just in brushed silver would be perfect. I've seen alot of builds and colors now and that goes with everything and I think everyone would be happy with it once they held it in their hands).

Peace!

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I'm super excited about this.

I don't know if it helps you, but the statistics for Silver to Black buttons sold on my site are 5:3, respectively.

Honestly though I think offering them just in brushed silver would be perfect. I've seen alot of builds and colors now and that goes with everything and I think everyone would be happy with it once they held it in their hands).

Peace!

Happy to hear that! :)

That is actually quite surprising, I would've thought you'd sell much more black switches.

With that in mind, you might actually be right. At least for the first run, it could help decrease the price to not offer multiple colours. I'll keep it in mind!