Stalled Iris 16 - RGB Vandal Button

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Sure, high-security operating systems. I've worked on systems that had hand-coded operating systems to meet certain security requirements... :p

Ah good point. Not that I feel I'd ever reach high market penetration in that area, but if someone can make a custom OS, they can write custom firmware for the button as well, so not a deal breaker either :D

Reactions: Biowarejak and |||

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
You can still sign up and I'll put you on the waiting list, so you'll get one in case someone bails :)

Yes please :cool:
Will you note my interest, or do I need to go on the list and do that?

I've never been brave enough to get involved in a project early, but you deserve all the success that @dondan is deservedly getting, so I'm interested to get in at the start

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
So I went ahead and checked out your HTML... May I suggest using the <input type="color"> tag for color selection? It allows for easier color selection IMO because I can type the values. Here's an example, and here's a page explaining it and other input types :) Sorry, I just kind of like web development!

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
So cool, well done both on the visualizer and the button specs! :thumb:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
[Vielen Dank even!]

FTFY. German is hard. But yeah, already saw it! :thumb:

So I went ahead and checked out your HTML... May I suggest using the <input type="color"> tag for color selection? It allows for easier color selection IMO because I can type the values. Here's an example, and here's a page explaining it and other input types :) Sorry, I just kind of like web development!

No need to apologize, that's the sort of feedback I need! It's a good suggestion, I didn't even know type="color" was a thing for input, so that's cool to know. Seems like it's not supported by IE11, which might be a concern. The colour picker I used in this version actually supports direct input as well, but I didn't think anyone would care for that :D

But, I will make sure to include fields for typing in the colour with my custom picker. The idea I have is to allow picking both colours inside the same picker and displaying the transition curve between them. I think Corsair does something similar on their Keyboard RGB software, and it's really useful for understanding how the different options influence the behaviour.

Again, thanks for the feedback! It's really useful to know what people need/want from the application.

And I agree, web development is actually quite interesting, it's a lot of fun learning new stuff and being able to have something working so quickly.

So cool, well done both on the visualizer and the button specs! :thumb:

Thank you!

Reactions: Biowarejak

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Update! Version 0.1.1 is out!

For this version, I replaced the stock colour picker with a custom one that also displays how the colour moves through the Hue-Luminosity-Plane. This should give a better understanding of how changing the parameters influences the colour transitions.

To use it, just grab either end of the transition line with your mouse. All colours will be changed live with almost no delay. The transition line will also change its colour to remain visible at all times.

Try it out here!

Saturation can't be modified with this system for now, it is at 100% constantly. While it's easy to pick a point on a plane with a mouse (or touch device), doing the same thing in a 3D space is much harder, especially when it should be possible to pick an arbitrary number of points, so I still need to figure out a good UI solution for that.

I am aware that the moving display dot wobbles when the transition line is at odd angles. That's because it is manually redrawn onto a canvas element for each frame, which doesn't support sub-pixel positioning. The solution to this are CSS animations, but that makes live updating much harder, so I didn't implement it yet.

Let me know what you think and stay tuned!

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Update! New Weekend, new version! 0.1.2 is here.

Very major feature this time, see if you can spot it:

Changelog:
  • Multiple Cues can now be created and switched between
  • Added example Cues
  • All Cues can be saved to a formatted JSON file using the "Save" button
  • JSON files previously saved can now be loaded into the visualizer using the "Load" button
  • Seldom used options can now be found under "More Options"
  • Options that don't apply to the current "Ramp Type" are hidden automatically
  • The Colour Indicator moves very smoothly now, even on inclined paths
  • A new option "Wrap Hue" has been added for Ramp Type "Linear HSL"
More details:
Cue management!
The first few options are obviously the showpiece. You can click through the examples to see how the different options can be put to use, delete cues and add new ones.

If you like what you made and want to save it or even share it with others, you can use the "Save" button to store a human-readable JSON file to your device. To share it, you can then upload the file to googledrive or dropbox, or even post the raw data to pastebin or a forum directly. To load a JSON file, simply click the "Load" button and select the file you want to use.

Both loading and saving are done client-side, so no matter how crappy your internet connection or how large the file you want to load/save, everything will happen almost instantaneously and without my server being involved. You can even use this functionality if your internet connection breaks, as long as you don't reload the page.

More options!
The "More Options" button will be used in the future for more obscure options that not everyone is going to be interested in. Right now, that's only the Time Divisor. Also, as you're changing the Ramp Type, the options Ramp Parameter and Wrap Hue will be hidden if they don't apply to your selection. This also gives me the option to integrate more complicated Ramp Types in the future that need more parameters than just these two.

The Wrap Hue option is an important addition. It will force the colour transition to cross the 360° boundary, allowing you (as shown in the picture above) to transition from pink to yellow without crossing blue or green. This now allows all possible colour transitions on the HL plane.
The way it works right now is a little counter-intuitive, but I'm not sure what a better solution could be. Basically, it will always force the line to go from the Start Colour to 360°, then jump over to the other side to 0° and go to the End Colour from there. If you want to go the opposite way, re-positioning the colour nodes won't work, you have to set the Ramp Parameter to 0. This might be very confusing for someone who doesn't understand what that parameter does, and the effects this oddity allows you to make will also be possible with Cue Lists in the future. Not sure how I can make this more user-friendly yet.

And I fixed the janky animation of the Colour Indicator. It looks so much nicer now.

Thanks for reading!

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Zotac's looks like it's just an extremely rudimentary color wheel, not a map of LED locations. You just select one of the colors on the wheel and effect on the right and the Zotac logo lights up as that specified color and effect.

The Iris 16 on the other hand has the LED locations visually mapped, and then you select the color and effect from the option panel on the right.