Help - Momentary / Vandal Switch Wiring

veveaucent

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
I would like to you a momentary switch with an LED Ring/power icon and am unsure how to wire it. The posts on the switch are as follows:
NC
+ NO -
C
The motherboard posts are as follows:
(+ Power LED) (- Power LED) (Power SW) (Ground) (Dud)
(+ HD LED) (- HD LED) (Ground) (Reset) (Ground)
The switch was 5V LED an I wired it as follows:
Power SW to NO
Groud to C
+ Power LED to +
- Power LED to -

The switch works to turn the PC on (and hold 5 sec to reset works as well). The first time I turned the PC on the LED came on for about a second and has shown no sign of life since. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I do have a backup but I don't want to screw it us as well.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
I would like to you a momentary switch with an LED Ring/power icon and am unsure how to wire it. The posts on the switch are as follows:
NC
+ NO -
C
The motherboard posts are as follows:
(+ Power LED) (- Power LED) (Power SW) (Ground) (Dud)
(+ HD LED) (- HD LED) (Ground) (Reset) (Ground)
The switch was 5V LED an I wired it as follows:
Power SW to NO
Groud to C
+ Power LED to +
- Power LED to -

The switch works to turn the PC on (and hold 5 sec to reset works as well). The first time I turned the PC on the LED came on for about a second and has shown no sign of life since. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I do have a backup but I don't want to screw it us as well.

Do you know if the switch had internal resistor or required an external resistor for the LED? I've seen different switch versions and the last one I used came with 2 resistors, one if used with 12V, the other if used with 5V. If it needed an external one this resistor is used to drop voltage/limit current to the LED and it'll burn up otherwise, this sounds like the case in your switch. Some switches don't require the external resistor but they usually state what the input needs to be on the switch rather than just + and - .

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
I was right there 2 weeks ago, looked it up and all the info I found said it was. I thus installed my LEDs without resistors and it was correct.
Might be a weird mobo that doesn't...