Stalled Iris 16 - RGB Vandal Button

Mar 6, 2017
Zotac's looks like it's just an extremely rudimentary color wheel, not a map of LED locations. You just select one of the colors on the wheel and effect on the right and the Zotac logo lights up as that specified color and effect.

The Iris 16 on the other hand has the LED locations visually mapped, and then you select the color and effect from the option panel on the right.

Meh, that's just a super simple colour picker with a few pre-configured effects, as @| | | (How do I even @mention that name?) said. Just another example of unnecessarily "beautified" UI.

Yup, it's almost like the smaller the company/entity developing the product, the more thought and creativity goes into it

Reactions: NATi and Biowarejak

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yup, it's almost like the smaller the company/entity developing the product, the more thought and creativity goes into it

It might also be that bigger companies have to reach a certain number of users/buyers to make their products viable, so they also have to sacrifice on creativity where it wouldn't increase sales volume sufficiently to justify the increased price.

Imagine, for example, if they put the amount of effort in that I am right now just to make every letter of the MAGNUS lettering customisable in colour. That would increase the manufacturing cost by 10 bucks at least, not to mention the wage you have to pay for someone to design a complex PCB, write more sophisticated software and firmware, and test all of that. The hours an engineer would spend on this not only cost them money, but have to be removed from other projects that could yield more benefits for them.
All for something that probably won't ship even a single additional unit. If they wanted to know whether it does, they'd have to do market research before, which again costs a lot of money.

The main advantage for me is that I don't need to amortise as many costs. My labour is 100% free, so to speak, and because my livelihood doesn't depend on it, I don't need to rush the product out, I can just work on it until its done. Additionally, I get direct feedback and market research data from all of you, the only thing I pay for it with is my own time, so it's again free.

A big company usually doesn't have the luxury of any of that.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I mean it's important to realize that your time, at least when working on a commercially oriented project, isn't so much "free" as it is borrowed from anything else you could be doing to make money.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I mean it's important to realize that your time, at least when working on a commercially oriented project, isn't so much "free" as it is borrowed from anything else you could be doing to make money.

While I can see where you're coming from, I'd probably be spending my time doing this even if I was just doing it as a hobby. So going commercial can be seen as a way to recoup the costs of production. I'm also very young and haven't done most of this ever before, so everything I'm doing is a learning experience. Further, my hourly wage is quite low as a working student, so per hour I spend on this project, I lose less money than, say, an experienced engineer would.

Looking at it this way, I would argue that my the time I spend on this really is free, if not something I directly profit from.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Well, yeah, that makes sense :) totally get the idea of doing it as a hobby anyway.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
A keyboard is never to SFF! I had to go on to another layer to do ! ...

You sure about that?

BTW, no update this weekend. I'm working on major features for 0.2 and need to try out a few UI approaches before committing to something, but in between I don't have anything to show.