Inverted versus Normal Ncase config 2070 super deshrouded + Nhc14s Tests

anoldfriend

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
Performed some tests with the ncase m1 comparing inverted versus normal case orientation and got some interesting results.

Reactions: knewt

MisterD

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2019
Very interesting, thank you for your test!

Did you face any issues when deshrouding and installing the KFA 2070 Super EX with the NF-A12x25s? Was it a very tight fit, did you have to bend anything or did it fit just fine? Can you still use the full front I/O?
I'm asking so detailed because I'd like to use a deshrouded KFA 2060 Super Ex with two NF-A12x25s for my build, but since the KFA card is a triple slot I was wondering if removing the shroud would provide enough additional space for (easily) using the NF-A12x25s and the front I/O. According to their product homepages the 2060 Super EX and the 2070 Super EX have the same dimensions so if you didn't run into any problems it should be fine by me as well.

Sorry for asking so many questions but it's my first pc build ever and I'm a little nervous about modifying a 400 € graphic card in my first build...

Really looking foward to your GPU + CPU stress and temperature tests and the sound profile video!

Reactions: anoldfriend

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
H
Performed some tests with the ncase m1 comparing inverted versus normal case orientation and got some interesting results.

Have you also tried c14s as exhaust? That is the stock fan setup when you buy it. Recently put my build together but I'm in doubt what is the best fan setup (c14s intake exhaust and A9 rear fan intake exhaust with a stock strix rx 5700xt).

anoldfriend

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
Very interesting, thank you for your test!

Did you face any issues when deshrouding and installing the KFA 2070 Super EX with the NF-A12x25s? Was it a very tight fit, did you have to bend anything or did it fit just fine? Can you still use the full front I/O?
I'm asking so detailed because I'd like to use a deshrouded KFA 2060 Super Ex with two NF-A12x25s for my build, but since the KFA card is a triple slot I was wondering if removing the shroud would provide enough additional space for (easily) using the NF-A12x25s and the front I/O. According to their product homepages the 2060 Super EX and the 2070 Super EX have the same dimensions so if you didn't run into any problems it should be fine by me as well.

Sorry for asking so many questions but it's my first pc build ever and I'm a little nervous about modifying a 400 € graphic card in my first build...

Really looking foward to your GPU + CPU stress and temperature tests and the sound profile video!

You can easily fit it! I tried to film it but one handed it was hard.... -)
I will confirm if you can use the front pannel with it soon, I am almost certain that you can.
I advise on using zip ties to attach the fans on the heatsink, don't screw the fans on the case because they won't stay flush, you have some mm between the fan and case floor.

Reactions: MisterD

anoldfriend

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
H

Have you also tried c14s as exhaust? That is the stock fan setup when you buy it. Recently put my build together but I'm in doubt what is the best fan setup (c14s intake exhaust and A9 rear fan intake exhaust with a stock strix rx 5700xt).

I Will try this setup soon! I have an a9 here, will do it soon!

anoldfriend

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
You can fit the front pannel with this setup :)

Reactions: MisterD

anoldfriend

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018

Open bench with same setup.
GPU 58C full load.
(screenshot 56 due to transition on screen during test)

Last edited:

MisterD

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2019
You can easily fit it! I tried to film it but one handed it was hard.... -)
I will confirm if you can use the front pannel with it soon, I am almost certain that you can.
I advise on using zip ties to attach the fans on the heatsink, don't screw the fans on the case because they won't stay flush, you have some mm between the fan and case floor.

You can fit the front pannel with this setup :)

Awesome, thanks a lot!

HansWursT619

Trash Compacter
Feb 22, 2016
Great test. Thanks for that.
It looks like the KFA card performs quite good when deshrouded, even with only 1300 RPM on the fans.

Unfortunately it is really difficult to find similar setups to compare to. I am currently looking at the Gigabyte 2070 Super Gaming and Palit Jetstream 2070 Super.
Both have 3 Slots cooler as well, but I cant really compare the performance of their heatsink when deshrouded :-/

Soulforger90

Trash Compacter
Sep 30, 2019
I'm testing myself today, since I'm free from work today :)
Did you do any testing? If so, what were your results? Currently I've been eyeballing the temps using afterburner and HWinfo64 while gaming. I'm using a stock C14s with the 140mm fan as exhaust only. I don't have any other fans in the case. My GPU is an ASUS Rog Strix 1080 ti OC gaming edition - stock shroud + fans.

Between playing World of Warcraft, The Division 2, and Destiny 2 at 120mhz 3440x1440p my temps range from CPU 65-70, GPU 71-76c. That's with the house temp set between 20-22c. So it's not bad. I have the stock 140mm fan set to 1100-1200 rpm all the time.

I'm pretty sure that adding a 92mm noctua fan to the rear of the case as intake, and deshrouding the GPU and adding 2 x 120mm A12x25 noctua fans would improve those thermals! My guess would be by 5-8c maybe? I'm just waiting for Noctua to release their black 120mm fans. :)

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Did you do any testing? If so, what were your results? Currently I've been eyeballing the temps using afterburner and HWinfo64 while gaming. I'm using a stock C14s with the 140mm fan as exhaust only. I don't have any other fans in the case. My GPU is an ASUS Rog Strix 1080 ti OC gaming edition - stock shroud + fans.

Between playing World of Warcraft, The Division 2, and Destiny 2 at 120mhz 3440x1440p my temps range from CPU 65-70, GPU 71-76c. That's with the house temp set between 20-22c. So it's not bad. I have the stock 140mm fan set to 1100-1200 rpm all the time.

I'm pretty sure that adding a 92mm noctua fan to the rear of the case as intake, and deshrouding the GPU and adding 2 x 120mm A12x25 noctua fans would improve those thermals! My guess would be by 5-8c maybe? I'm just waiting for Noctua to release their black 120mm fans. :)
Will make a separate post about it, but to be short: use the 140mm on the c14s as intake (tested at 50% fanspeed i Believe). This will reduce temps of the cpu by 5-8 degrees and will drasticly reduce motherboard chip /vrm temps. The rear 92mm noctua (at 40%) as intake is way better than exhaust and reduces temps of the cpu by 4-5 degrees.
Futhermore, this setup lowered gpu temps by 2-4 degrees strangely enough. Also, undervolt your gpu! My strix rx 5700xt undervolted by - 110mv reduced wattage from 190 to 155w roughly and fan speed from 53% to custom fan curve for same temps (68 degrees) as stock to 38% fanspeed.
Great great reduction in overall noise while gaming since every fan Above 40% speed = annoying. Especially the 92mm fan. I have that at 36% fan speed since 40% it starts to get a high pitch.

anoldfriend

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
Will make a separate post about it, but to be short: use the 140mm on the c14s as intake (tested at 50% fanspeed i Believe). This will reduce temps of the cpu by 5-8 degrees and will drasticly reduce motherboard chip /vrm temps. The rear 92mm noctua (at 40%) as intake is way better than exhaust and reduces temps of the cpu by 4-5 degrees.
Futhermore, this setup lowered gpu temps by 2-4 degrees strangely enough. Also, undervolt your gpu! My strix rx 5700xt undervolted by - 110mv reduced wattage from 190 to 155w roughly and fan speed from 53% to custom fan curve for same temps (68 degrees) as stock to 38% fanspeed.
Great great reduction in overall noise while gaming since every fan Above 40% speed = annoying. Especially the 92mm fan. I have that at 36% fan speed since 40% it starts to get a high pitch.
very nice!
Are you using a slim nfa9 on rear?
Gpu stock fans?

Soulforger90

Trash Compacter
Sep 30, 2019

I will look for some videos on how to undervolt the GPU properly. I've found a couple of videos about using MSI afterburner, but I haven't given it a shot yet. And I'm looking at this A9 fan for the rear intake / exhaust -

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
I will look for some videos on how to undervolt the GPU properly. I've found a couple of videos about using MSI afterburner, but I haven't given it a shot yet. And I'm looking at this A9 fan for the rear intake / exhaust -
Yep, that's the fan I have! Which gpu do you have? Search Google for some undervolt results from other users, sets an easy baseline for you to go with.

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
I have an Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080 ti OC Gaming.
Ohhh you basicly only have to verify your strix can handle the undervolt (with heaven 4.0) and you are done!

For instance:
1835 @ 850mv is pretty good. Neither of my two 1080Ti's are completely stable at 1830MHz unless they're using 875mv.

Honestly, you could probably go for 875mv or 900mv and push around 1900MHz and still cut your power draw by at least a good 20%. 875mv cuts the power draw by almost 30%, which is definitely a significant reduction in power. IMHO, as long as you can undervolt to +/- 875mv at similar clock speeds as the default settings under full load, then you're doing pretty good.