MSI 3060ti ventus2x deshroud

pheyk

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Dec 20, 2020
Hey all,

I just got my hands on a MSI RTX 3060Ti Ventus 2X (232 x 124 x 52 mm) to complete my Ncase M1 (V6.1) build. I was thinking about deshrouding the card as I have already 2xNF-A12x25mm on the bottom of the case and the MSI is supposed to be quite loud with the stock fans (probably a trade off for the smaller size).

I got a couple of questions regarding the deshrouding:

• Does anyone have experience with this card? Information still is scarce. I saw a video where it seems as if deshrouding should be possible.
  • Do I need some specific adapter to connect the 2 NF12’s to the GPU’s pin header? I have a spare Y-splitter from the Noctua Fans would this one work?
  • The card is 52mm thick. This should fit with the 25mm thick fans, right?
I might have missed something else. I’m thankful for all help/comments.

Cheers!

Rest of my system:
MSI Z490I Unify ITX
Noctua C14S + NF-A12x25mm
32gb crucial ballistix 3200
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Corsair 600W platinum

And the rather standard fan config:
2x NF-A12x15mm (side)
2x NF-A12x25mm (bottom)
1x NF-A9x25mm (back)

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Hey all,

I just got my hands on a MSI RTX 3060Ti Ventus 2X (232 x 124 x 52 mm) to complete my Ncase M1 (V6.1) build. I was thinking about deshrouding the card as I have already 2xNF-A12x25mm on the bottom of the case and the MSI is supposed to be quite loud with the stock fans (probably a trade off for the smaller size).

I got a couple of questions regarding the deshrouding:

• Does anyone have experience with this card? Information still is scarce. I saw a video where it seems as if deshrouding should be possible.
  • Do I need some specific adapter to connect the 2 NF12’s to the GPU’s pin header? I have a spare Y-splitter from the Noctua Fans would this one work?
  • The card is 52mm thick. This should fit with the 25mm thick fans, right?
I might have missed something else. I’m thankful for all help/comments.

Cheers!

Rest of my system:
MSI Z490I Unify ITX
Noctua C14S + NF-A12x25mm
32gb crucial ballistix 3200
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Corsair 600W platinum

And the rather standard fan config:
2x NF-A12x15mm (side)
2x NF-A12x25mm (bottom)
1x NF-A9x25mm (back)
1. The Noctua Y-splitter cable should not work because the fan headers on the card's PCB should be a small size one. You will need an adapter cable to 'convert' regular male fan header (Noctua fan) to this small size female header. Something like this Gelid's adapter cable should work. But, of course, first confirm this with your card.

2. To use 25mm thick fans under the card, M1 spec says the card has to be 42mm thick (or less). The MSI 3060Ti Ventus 2x is 52mm thick. The 2 fans are Power Logic PLD10010S12HH, which should be 10mm thick. So, if you add a couple mm for the shroud clearance, removing the fan + shroud should shave off more than 10mm, meaning it should be OK. But, of course, you are never sure until you actually try it.

Reactions: pheyk

yanwei

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 2, 2020
I actually have fit two of the same fans except I use a 3080 ventus 3x deshroud. There is a 1-2mm gap between the heatsink and the fans. The noctua fans come with a rubber anti vibration sleeve which I put onto both fans thus closing the gap.
Regarding the 4pin cable, I ordered 2 adaptors from aliexpress, they cost about $1 each. I don't know if the pwm works as I have not received them yet.

SG$ 1.23 | 10cm PWM mini 4pin fan to mirco 4pin Power Adapter Black Cable for Videocard VGA Graphics Card

Reactions: pheyk

pheyk

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Dec 20, 2020
Hey,

thanks a lot to both of you!
I ordered the PWM/VGA adapters (Gelid) you recommended and am now waiting for delivery of the gpu...might still take a while. I'll let you guys know how it worked out.
@yanwei great tip with putting these rubber sleeves to use.

zoon

Cable Smoosher
Dec 12, 2019
Why not simply use the fan headers on the motherboard and a Y-splitter if needed?

You also save a little powerbudget for your card if your source the power for the fans from somewhere else.

With this software you get the best fan controls there is and it's what I use to control the 2 Noctuas mounted below my deshrouded Ventus 3090.

Papadon

Cable Smoosher
Oct 19, 2019
I have a Ventus 3080 and I can tell you that if the 3060 ti is the same, you won't have a fun time using the GELID adapter. MSI Afterburner does not control the 2x25 Noctua's properly with the fan curve using this method. It also doesn't appear to supply them with enough power to cool efficienctly. Lastly, it appears that low fan settings don't work at all - it's like 0 or 80%, but nothing in between. I ended up just using a Y-splitter to the mobo chassis fan port and purchased Argus Monitor, which is a much better solution. Good luck though and let us know if you find that it somehow works for you.